PDA

View Full Version : What should i do, options.

joshiii
17th Feb 2006, 11:04
I have just arrived back from OASC where i was applying for a sixth form scholarship for pilot, i was told when i was there that i was 3cm too tall (buttock to heel length) i was told that i could not be a pilot in the RAF. I am 17 and need to decide what i want to do, the way i see it i have to decide if it is the flying or the RAF that i want from a career, i see that i have 3 options, 1: BA offer a scholarship scheme for pilots wanting to fly commercialy, i have to wait till i am 18 to apply. 2: Join the RAF as an officer, not WSOp or WSO because i will be to envious of the pilots. 3: Join the RAF as NC Aircrew and take an in service degree, then go for commision. I dont really want to go to university as i see it as wasted time, both BA and the RAF do not require you to have a degree. Does anyone know of any other options or advice they can share?

UltraSonic
17th Feb 2006, 11:45
Well, like you said yourself, do you have a love for flying or for working with the RAF?
I myself would have never settled for less then a fligthdeck seat back in the days. If i take a look at myself, i would have aimed at commercial pilot. Take a job in an airport and see if you are always looking up to the big birds, if yes, get your ass inside a cockpit :)

Funkie
17th Feb 2006, 11:47
joshiii

At 17 years old, you have plenty time on your hands, so there is no need to rush.

Firstly, BA hasn’t offered their sponsorship scheme since it was binned just after 9/11. From what I have read, they do not intend to offer the scheme in the near future, but take the majority of their newly qualified pilots from Oxford and FTE in Jerez. Expect to pay well in excess of £60k if you are funding through your own pocket.

Secondly, choosing not to go down the route of WSO is really your own choice, and your reasoning would seem poor. However, I understand that the move can be made from the back to the front in time, but I would think that OASC would not really offer comment on this. I was offered a JEnGO (being slightly short sighted and hence rejected for GDp), but turned it down as I felt it wasn’t the best thing to do – probably a mistake, but I’ll never know will I!

Thirdly, you are correct in that a University degree is not a prerequisite for the RAF, BA or any other airline for that matter. However, I would think that if you go to University, choosing say engineering instead of basket weaving and join the UAS, then you have a chance to prove yourself. It may just be that this could help in an application for GDp if you are that good. University isn’t all that bad and will give you some life experience!!

At the end of the day, if you have been advised that being a pilot in the RAF is a non-starter because of a physical attribute, which you can do nothing about, accept it and move.

One of the cheaper ways of getting a CPL/IR is through the modular route, which should cost ~£40k. There are many, many threads to be found on this subject when you use the search function.

If you want more info on the military side, try the Military Fourm. Have a good search first though.

All the best with your decision.

Funkie:ok:

edited to add:

As for A320rider, I think you should stop dreaming of finding a job and do something worthwhile with your time…. tw@t!

Nicolas DG
17th Feb 2006, 12:11
Hello my name is Nicolas, I´m from Argentina and I´m new in this forum, but I read the post of Joshii and I started to think in me, because I have the same feeling about fly, it´s the best thing in the world. Let me tell you that I´m a private pilot in my country with VFR licens and HVN operations, and I love fly, naw I´m looking for some company in any part of the world which are loocking for some cessnas pilots, because I need to fly and take hours because in the future I want to work in some airline, so someone of you, know about some job(I´m not a comercial pilot yet), please let me know. Bye bye, and thanks, have good flights!!!, chau

ali1
17th Feb 2006, 14:15
Hi Nicolas,

Unfortunately, to be paid to fly you MUST have a commercial license. The only way you could build hours is by paying for it, or if a local flying school needs ferry pilots (fly the aircraft for maintenance).

Best of luck and welcome to the forum,

Ali1

P.S A320 rider, why would I want to get a 'real' job if I can fly a nice shiny jet, talk to beautiful women everyday, get fed whilst doing so and get paid a decent wage????

goodlooker
18th Feb 2006, 20:05
Have you considered the RN, they are actively recruiting aircrew at the moment and the leg measurements should'nt be a problem (no ejection seats in helicopters!!). If they are a problem for pilot then they won't be for Observer certainly. Its a good time to apply at the moment.

joshiii
24th Feb 2006, 15:09
There is no way i will ever be in the RN i would not enjoy it and the RN dont really have a good reputation, i prefer the way that the RAF opperates and i will never decide to joint the RN or AAC

southside
25th Feb 2006, 08:11
You probably wouldn't get in the RN until you can learn to spell.

Toxteth O'Grady
25th Feb 2006, 08:52
"Pot, this is kettle, over." :rolleyes: :}

:cool:

TOG

Tourist
25th Feb 2006, 09:10
It's a pity about the height thing really Joshii, because you sound like you would fit in perfectly in the RAF.......

............you retard.

Toxteth O'Grady
25th Feb 2006, 09:15
the RN dont really have a good reputation

@Tourist

Thanks for the excellent "quod erat demonstrandum."

ffs, he's only a 17 year old kid trying to show a bit of initiative.

:cool:

TOG

Ghostie31
25th Feb 2006, 09:25
Joshiii
Don't turn down Uni that quickly.
I was in a similar position to you a year or so ago. All I wanted to do was fly.
My parents pretty much made me go to Uni, boy am I glad they did!! I've joined up to the UAS and having a whale of a time. Im getting paid to learn to fly!!
Lets say you go down the commercial route. In 10 years time, you may not pass the medical, then you lose your licence and have no income. Basically your screwed without a degree of some sort. Its only 3 or 4 years and they are flying by! (excuse the pun). Im doing Aero Eng, Its bloody hard work but im enjoying it.
You certainly don't have to do Aero to get in the UAS, just do something you enjoy. Don't make a mistake now that you will regret for the rest of your life!
Im doing it as a backup incase I ever lose my licence to fly, (presuming I get one that is!)
Anyway, give it serious consideration.
Hope all goes well, if you want any info just PM me!
Have a gd one,
Safe flying everyone!
Ghostie

Thomas coupling
25th Feb 2006, 09:27
Showing initiative includes flexibility and options. Turning down the Navy AND bestowing them with a bad reputation suggests to me small mindedness to say the least. My advice to you laddy is NEVER BURN BRIDGES at this stage in your life, you will live to regret it.
My son (17) went for a career interview with the RN last week. They were very helpful, pleasant and constructive.
They offered him a bursary, an assisted place at Uni, reserve time during his Uni time (all big bucks) AND said that after all of this if her still wasn't interested he could walk away!
They also said they are short of aircrew currently (as are all the services) and are actively recruiting JSF pilots.
What better job than to fly fast jet off carriers in a dark blue suit?????

4Foxtrot
25th Feb 2006, 09:44
...and the RN dont really have a good reputation...
Even as a crab I find that mildly disturbing, so I'll put that one down to inexperience. I know RN aircrew do a superb job and the RAF could learn a thing or two about teamwork from the RN as a whole. That's just my impression BTW and I can't be arsed justifying it to the rest of you.

If you have a burning desire to fly then you'll find a way. I don't know of any mil aircrew that regret joining up, RAF or RN. If you weed out the criticisms in this thread, I hope you will find good advice and don't forget it's early days for you still.

scruggs
25th Feb 2006, 11:19
Joshiii,

Please, elaborate on your comments about the RN. What, in your opinion, has the RN done to warrant such an opinion.

Steve.

Antelope
25th Feb 2006, 11:32
I may be wrong but, for all those saying to go to uni and join the UAS to get some flying experience, as far as I'm aware if you've failed the OASC medical you won't get into a UAS as a pilot either. This is so that there's at least a possibility you can go frontline later.

Ant

Ghostie31
25th Feb 2006, 11:35
Antelope
Pretty sure that's not the case, as there are numerous people on my UAS that won't pass the medical for OASC but are in the sqn.
One has to wear glasses and had applied for OASC before he came to Uni.
This year with all the new changes to the system the medicals are easier to pass.
Its more of a PPL medical I believe.
Cheers
Ghostie

Antelope
25th Feb 2006, 11:41
Antelope
Pretty sure that's not the case, as there are numerous people on my UAS that won't pass the medical for OASC but are in the sqn.
One has to wear glasses and had applied for OASC before he came to Uni.
This year with all the new changes to the system the medicals are easier to pass.
Its more of a PPL medical I believe.
Cheers
Ghostie
I stand corrected, it's a few years since I left the UAS but we all had to do the OASC medical first. We had one chap who had to join as a nav as he failed the reach for pilot by 1-2mm, needless to say he went back in a year and is now a fulltime RAF pilot. Hopefully rediculous decisions like that are now a thing of the past.
Ant

torque dirty to me
25th Feb 2006, 16:35
There is no way i will ever be in the RN i would not enjoy it and the RN dont really have a good reputation, i prefer the way that the RAF opperates and i will never decide to joint the RN or AAC

What a load of ****:mad: .
Since when does the Fleet Air Arm have a bad reputation. I'd be bloody amazed if any of my crab oppos told you that their RN brethren were crap.
And as far as "I would never decide to joint the RN" (sic) goes, you'd be bloody lucky sunshine. We like potential Officer Aircrew to be able to spell simple words like join or operates.
For your information kiddo, Maritime Rotary Aviation is among the most challenging and rewarding in the world and Royal Navy Pilots are exceptionally well trained. Contrary to what you obviously believe The Fleet Air Arm is not a dumping ground for those who didn't make it into the RAF.
To answer the Thread's original question of, "What should I do?" I think you should get on the net and into the papers and get a lot more informed than you are at the moment before daring to set foot in another military interview' or you'll end up like all the others who only just failed to get selected and now manage a Birthdays card shop in Slough.
End of Rant!!!
A slightly less incensed TD
Fly Navy,
Fly Safely

petitfromage
25th Feb 2006, 17:20
Dear Joshy,

At University you could major in:
a. diplomacy
b. how to win friends and influence people
c. opening mouth without engaging brain
d. spelling or
e. gross ignorance?

When did the RN/FAAs reputation falter? (In your opinion/experience)
Gulf War 2
Kosovo
Northern Ireland
Albania
Sierra Leone
Bosnia
Kurdistan
Gulf War 1
The Falklands
.......perhaps it was at Taranto?

We wait with baited breath while you find an atlas, pull the carrot from your ar$e and let those who have been flying in the FAA before you were conceived know where they have earned the illustrious reputation you so readily and recklessly label them with.

bad livin'
25th Feb 2006, 17:29
I detect a troll, chaps.

charliegolf
25th Feb 2006, 17:32
He's a kid fellas.

Explanation instead of condemnation might sort out one who trod where angels fear to?

Josh: stop being a tit!

CG

Ghostie31
25th Feb 2006, 17:41
I hate those one liners bad livin' In fact I didn't even understand it! :confused:
Give him something to work with rather than abuse. After all most of you are highly sophisticated aircrew, some even Naval Aviators!:\
But I do encourage a bit more inter service banter!! :}
Ghostie :ok:

6foottanker
26th Feb 2006, 21:07
Well, Josh mi'laddo! You have stirred up the hornets, haven't you!
Given that the Navy FJ mates go through the same training as RAF FJ pilots, and have to be good enough for harrier, I don't see how you can justify your harsh comments. And from my experience, the RN rotary mates are top chaps, even if they do smell of cod from time to time.

If you want to fly military, don't discount any of the services off hand, I suggest you use the time available to look into each of the three services, and make your own mind up. Search previous threads on Prune and get the inside info. And there are a whole world of airlines our there recruiting heavily, if that's your bag.

One Q - if you're too tall for Pilot, are you not too tall for WSO (Nav) as well??

Don't think you'd be wise entering another branch and expecting a quick crossover either. It isn't easy, as you usually have to be very good at your job before they'll even consider you. And if that job is one you're itching to get out of, then you're not going to be happy in it.

6'

Crashed&Burned
26th Feb 2006, 21:40
Lighten up, everybody, we're talking about a 17 year old here.

If you can't get into the RAF as a pilot because of height, and that's the only job you fancy, forget about joining at all (you aren't going to shrink until you're 70, by which time your chances of RAF pilot selection will be slim...!)

Go for one of the airlines.

Worth realising that 90% of pilot applicants don't make it even to the right hand seat, so going to university would be useful insurance for you and would be seen very positively by potenial employers in the airline industry.

I know it doesn't seem like it, but you do have time.

The Swinging Monkey
27th Feb 2006, 06:29
Hmmmmmm
Methinks Joshiiiiiiii has gone deep and (very) silent!
Kind regards to all oour FAA and AAC friends!
Kind regards
TSM

6foottanker
27th Feb 2006, 20:35
Perhaps he's been pressganged into the service he fobs off so carelessly!:eek:

g126
27th Feb 2006, 21:01
Being light blue through and through, even I would have considered Dark Blue if that was the only way I could get to where I wanted to be. Ignoring the harsh comments from our fishy friends, proving the contrary, they are not a bad bunch really and are certainly worth considering even if your heart was set on the RAF.

And if that doesn’t work, as you said, you need to decide whether it is the military or flying that you want. No one else can decide that for you.

And which ever you choose a degree is definitely worth considering, it will help you no end.

FAA: get a life, he’s only asking for advice. What a way to show him that you’re not a bad bunch of lads really.

G

bushbolox
27th Feb 2006, 21:44
Well there is a solution that would get you into the RAF and make the navy girls jealous as well.
Go to Manchester UNI, join the UAS. While in MAN go to (C)anal (s)treet alot and talk to the young men there. That should sort out your Buttocks. The wear and tear will cause muscular atrophy, and yr buttocks will sag and solve your problem. It may cause your spincter to sag and cause involuntary discharge , but that is a advantage in later life as you can go into an airline as a 75 kg or less crewmember and save a tech stop due to a ddodgy qnh out of Corfu.
You mentioned that UNI wasnt your scene. As an alternative you could just join the navy as a grating and meets lots of semen. This will assist on the droopy buttocks front.

Or get a grip...join the paras shoot people for a bit and get a cadetship from xl airways.

Hope this helps and annoys the crabs and (very) mateyloze. 9 sqn ubique

Cpl B Bolox gsm and bar, sam(r), CDM , PVR, FON (**** off now), NBF (no buff floors) NOB ( you can figure that one out)

joshiii
29th Apr 2006, 17:52
No i haven’t disappeared, just haven’t checked this site for ages! I do send my apologies to anyone i offended! I admit that i was naive when i sent my first post, i have been speaking to my careers advisers and looking on the web and i know that the RN is just as good as the RAF, i have only seen it from the prospective of the RAF and as you know most of them are quite opinionated, i have decided not to go to uni and to go to Oxford Airport to study for my PPL and the other classification that allows you to fly for money (forgotten the name afraid) i am at a situation where i do not know whether to go for helicopter or the airline route, any advice appreciated!!

Joshiii

N.B. SORRY FOR THE PREVIOUS OFFENCES AND YES I AM CRAP AT ENGLISH ONLY GOT C AT GCSE!! LOL

Lafyar Cokov
29th Apr 2006, 18:39
There is no way i will ever be in the RN i would not enjoy it and the RN dont really have a good reputation
In the case for the defence I would like to present to the court exhibit one: SOUTHSIDE

Dave5705
30th Apr 2006, 00:16
I am also 17 and considering a career in the RAF. I haven't done OASC yet but I think I do not have what it takes to be a pilot, but I don't know this for certain yet. I am also considering a career as a Weapon Systems Operator in the Crewman role.
As for joining the RN, I would love to join as a pilot there, or even as a Crewman. I don't mind what force I am in as long as I get to fly. As far as I can see the Fellt Air Arm as just as good as the RAF, not insinuating that the RAf are better. Both have their fair share of victories and defeats, good and bad points. I would seriously think twice before bad-mouthing either of these fine organisations.
I am also considering going to university to give me a bit more time to think about my options. It would also be beneficial to have a degree so if I decided the RAF wasn't for me after joining, I would have something to fall back on.
All the options are open, and there's still time to decide.
Any adive would be appreciated by the way.
Dave:ok: