PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a AS355 Rating in the USA?

Garfs
17th Feb 2006, 09:49
Hi

Does anyone know of any schools or anywhere in the USA I can get a AS355 type rating?

All the schools I have looked at havent been able to do this.

Thanks

Cyclic Hotline
17th Feb 2006, 17:28
You can't get an FAA Type Rating on an aircraft under 12,500 lbs. This probably explains why you have been unable to find anyone to do it.

You might be able to obtain training on the aircraft, but then again, the AS355 is not a very popular helicopter in the US. (I wonder why)?:}

almajor
17th Feb 2006, 19:23
About the only way you can do it is to take an ATP ride in the an AS-355, or perhaps a 135.297 ride. But as Cyclic Hotline says, there are very few around, and even fewer that are IFR certified.

md 600 driver
17th Feb 2006, 21:07
dont you need to have a twin rating or training for faa licence
surely you could do a twin rating in a 355 here in england , with a faa cfi ,there are a few 355s you could hire

Garfs
17th Feb 2006, 22:49
dont you need to have a twin rating or training for faa licence
surely you could do a twin rating in a 355 here in england , with a faa cfi ,there are a few 355s you could hire

Yes I can do it here in the UK, but I was just thinking if it would be cheaper to do te type rating in the USA, as I am planning to go there and get an FAA IR, and use it towards an IR back here in England.

Anything to keep costs down

GoodGrief
17th Feb 2006, 23:01
@Garfs
Go to the US, get your IFR.
Go back to the UK, take ALL of the IR exams, hit the Sim for 10 hours, fly 5 hours in the Bell 206 and youīre done.( 5 hours more if you donīt have a 206 rating)
download
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS_06_WEB.pdf
and read section "E"
Thatīs called a single engine IR, IRīs are type specific, you can upgrade to a twin IR in the aircraft you will actually fly.
Cheers

mongoose237
17th Feb 2006, 23:23
Just bear in mind the "Additional IR training as considered necessary by the Head of Training of an approved FTO."

Pick your training provider in the US carefully (on quality not cost) - I have heard of some horror stories of people returning only to have to undertake almost an entire IR course to get up to speed, thus making it more expensive than having just done the full IR in the UK.

Call up the 6 (soon to be 7, I hear) providers in the UK and ask them to quote for conversion, and ask what their previous experience on such conversions is

md 600 driver
18th Feb 2006, 08:48
garf
Hi
Does anyone know of any schools or anywhere in the USA I can get a AS355 type rating?
All the schools I have looked at havent been able to do this.
Thanks

in your posts it did not mention the ir so when other posters refered to it i discounted it steve

albatross
18th Feb 2006, 10:05
Don't know about the US but you could try CHC in Canada.
They have a couple working in Quebec I believe.
They could possibly give you an endorsement.

http://www.canadianhelicopters.ca/intro_1.html

Although not listed they could give an AS 355 endorsement depending on a/c availability.

They have some great training folks!

Can not hurt to ask.

mongoose237
18th Feb 2006, 10:30
Again, be aware of LASORS F9.1
Unless you have 500 hours on type, there is no simple checkride - conversion

"Applicants who hold a type rating but do not meet the experience requirements above will be required to complete a course of training at an approved TRTO. The CAA may consider a reduction in the amount of
training required to take account of previous experience on type, subject to a recommendation in writing by the Head of Training. Applicants will be required to pass the written theoretical knowledge examination and a Licensing Skill Test (LST)."

Emphasis added, through experience

Garfs
18th Feb 2006, 13:59
Thanks

Good grief

To updrade from a single Engine IR to a multi Engine IR I will have to do a further 5 hours in type. Wouldnt it just be better to get a ME IR from the start?

Garfs

mongoose237
18th Feb 2006, 14:52
IRs are type specific. So unless you happen to do your ME IR on the type you wish to work on, you will still have to do a type rating plus skills test to transfer your ME IR from, say, the AS355 to the AS332L.

The only difference if you had done it on SE IR is that your conversion would be to a first ME type, therefore slightly more training

B Sousa
18th Feb 2006, 15:36
Above posts pretty much cover it. You can get the factory school at www.eurocopters.com or if you have an aircraft call these folks. www.eurosafetyinternational.com