PDA

View Full Version : I've had better days...

frostbite
16th Feb 2006, 21:38
Went to a friend's to install a new Dell and connect to her newly installed broadband line. Should have been routine & straightforward BUT, keyboard and mouse supplied are USB devices and windoze immediately complains of a 'power surge from USB device' ! The other problem is the BT router supplied with the 'business package' (why business pack, I don't know). It is not showing a light on the 'dsl detected' led and doesn't connect. Wouldn't be the first time BT have failed to enable, but I wonder? Any bells ringing anywhere?

Lost_luggage34
16th Feb 2006, 22:48
Sounds like you've got it - no DSL signal on the line generally means no jumpering has been carried out at the exchange.

Conan the Librarian
16th Feb 2006, 22:58
And as for the power surge - I think a call to Dell in Bangalore or wherever they are these days, might be in order.

Conan

frostbite
17th Feb 2006, 17:24
Thanks for replies. Got the ADSL running today and took a non-usb mouse and kbd over, so nothing connected to USB ports. Windoze still constantly complaining about power surge on USB port !

hobie
17th Feb 2006, 18:04
If this is a new Dell you should really call Dell Support ..... If I didn't get a completely satisfactory response from them then I would send the whole lot back to them .... there is no reason why a New machine should not work perfectly from day one .....

The BB connection is a completely different situation but glad you got that sorted ....

Conan the Librarian
18th Feb 2006, 01:22
At least, the English in Bangalore is of a higher quality than you often find here. Call them and create appropriate stink. Dell are apparently getting quite hot on how your call was sorted, so go for Gold. If you aren't happy (I wouldn't be) then tell them so and in a jiffy someone will get on to it. Outsourced maybe - but I do like the way that they jump. (Lots of Yah de dah, but have spent two hours over different issues with Dell this week and I have found them more effective than many UK based outfits. It is so bad that I might even buy another Dell myself)

And the courtesy is something else....

Conan the I don't really get ten per cent. Honestly.