PDA

View Full Version : cathay pacific direct entry FO

flyingsaucer
16th Feb 2006, 18:43
hi

i am interested in joining cathay pacific as a direct entry first officer.

I was looking at the minimum requirements and it was saying:

A minimum of 1000 hours in one of the following categories:
Airline Jet Transport
Command Turbo Prop (MAUW greater than 20,000 Kgs)
High Performance Military Jet
Corporate Jet Commandwhat kind of time would be right seat in a regional CRJ 200?
does it mean you dont need PIC if you have been flying an airline transport jet?
is the CRJ 200 considered an airline jet transport

also they are asking for an ATP, but can it be an american ATP and does it need to be an ATP in a jet aircraft?

Thanks for your help

spongebob_pilot
17th Feb 2006, 13:00
flying saucer,

First of all an ATP is not a type rating, it is not piston or turbine specific, it is either single or multi engine land...period. Cathay does allow you to join with FAA licenses because everything is converted to a Hong Kong license. Second, if you are flying the CRJ and still questioning whether it is a airline jet transport....you are probably too far behind the curve to have a chance at ANY Cathay position. Thirdly, competitively you would have no chance at DEFO unless you have 1000+ turbine PIC and 4000-5000+ total. Try reading some other posts and researching a little bit, spoonfeeding is typically for infants. Im sorry for being so blunt; however, you ask some pretty stupid questions....maybe you should concentrate on flying saucers.

spongebob square dick

ataboy
17th Feb 2006, 14:17
I was advised that unless you had 1,000 Jet-Time that they would not consider you for a direct entry F/O.

Any truth to this?

Thanks for the help. :D

haughtney1
17th Feb 2006, 15:03
Sponge Bob, thats a pretty harsh way to answer a perfectly reasonable question...if you took the time to look at the Cathay paperwork you would see that there is no catagory for a CRJ type jet.
This has been covered in the previous thread, and as an amendment to your comments however, 2500-3000hrs is compeditive as long as you have those 1000hrs jet time.
Mayby sponge bob you could work on your people skills..better yet just get some manners:yuk:

flyingsaucer
17th Feb 2006, 15:39
thats true,

I bet sponge bob will have a lot of difficulties passing the interview and especially the part where you are judge on your interpersonal skills and communication qualities.

i would recommand you to sit back relax and watch sponge bob maybe you ll learn some things on communicating with human being.

Crazy Fists
17th Feb 2006, 16:44
Hi flyingsaucer,
I am being interviewed very soon for a Second officer position within cathay, and I have over 4500hrs. I think that 5000hrs is the mark for DEFO but I could stand corrected here. I wish you all the best.

spongebob_pilot
17th Feb 2006, 18:13
im not going to try and suger coat.....so it would be a good idea for haughtney to use spell check (compeditive?)....or learn the english language...and the same with flying tea saucers (are judge? recommand?). Thanks for directing me to the previous posts regarding whether or not the CRJ is listed....I am full aware that the application does not state this aircraft specifically under light/medium jet; however, that is not the question that saucerboy posted.....unless my comprehension skills (like my communication skills) need a little reconditioning. Regarding your post to what are the "minimums" for DEFO....well I can only comment that I believe you're wrong....there may be the occasional incredibly lucky person out there...somewhere...but unless you have turbine PIC and at least 4000-5000 total, you're probably wasting your time. This isn't necessarily truth....just reality. Just do like everyone else and keep updating, until one day you meet the "official minimums" and you get a phone call, and just keep praying that this phone call comes before the current expansion plans end. So once again I have some hard truths and possibly constructive criticism....flyingsaucers...please, for the love of god, go to the local community college and take some courses designed to improve your composition/language skills for you don't want to sound like an inbred at the Cathay interview. Secondly, write your congressman and plead for him/her to invoke an immediate plan to require aspiring commercial pilots to obtain a university education before they begin an airline career.

haughtney1
17th Feb 2006, 20:15
Niceone spongebob..your true colours have really come through....not only are you plain wrong about the experience required. European pilots can quite happily have 2500hrs of medium jet time with 3000hrs of total time, and hence are employed by Cathay with this level of experience.
You are also wide of the mark in assuming high levels of total time will secure an interview, as a Canadian friend of mine has recently found out to his cost.
5000hrs of Dash 8 and PA31 time aint the same as 2000hrs of B737/A320 time....thats a fact, no point sugar coating it, as you so aptly put it:hmm:

spongebob_pilot
18th Feb 2006, 00:35
Haughtney I am in complete agreement with you. 737/A320 time is definately not the same as CRJ time, and as you stated, european pilots with less than 4-5K hours can interview and are currently working for Cathay. That being said, flying saucers is from the United F------ States. To my understanding, American pilots typically require more time than European, Canadien, and those from down under....probably because any cheese dick with a small bankrole can achieve a pilots license. That's not quite the case in the EU with 14 areas of subject matter to master prior to acquiring an ATP. Americans have it much easier-knowledge wise. This is not intended to say that Americans have any problem whatsoever in flying an airplane, only that their theoretical knowledge is smaller. Given that fact, I assume Cathay requires more experience; however, this is just my opinion.

404 Titan
18th Feb 2006, 02:01
flyingsaucer

I wouldn’t take too much notice what our friend spongebob pilot has to say for he is completely wrong. He isn’t employed here and wouldn’t have the foggiest what is competitive or not. Only one month ago he was asking about DESO and how hard is was to transfer to the Freighter Fleet as an FO.

Firstly, an American ATPL is completely acceptable to Cathay and the HKCAD. It is an ICAO licence and as such is transferable to a HK ATPL. At time of joining the HKCAD will determine how many exams will be required to convert you licence over.

Secondly, a CRJ200 is classed as an Airline Jet Transport. Your hours on this type and others would ultimately determine you competitiveness with other applicants.

Thirdly, getting an interview here isn’t all about competitiveness, it is also about keenness. There are ways to make your application stand out from the crowd.

And fourthly, getting a job here isn’t all about knowing your tech stuff or acing the sim ride. It is also about selling your self and demonstrating to us whether we can put up with you for fourteen hours on a long haul flight, something our mate spongebob pilot would fail at miserably.

sony
18th Feb 2006, 02:51
Haughtney I am in complete agreement with you. 737/A320 time is definately not the same as CRJ time, and as you stated, european pilots with less than 4-5K hours can interview and are currently working for Cathay. That being said, flying saucers is from the United F------ States. To my understanding, American pilots typically require more time than European, Canadien, and those from down under....probably because any cheese dick with a small bankrole can achieve a pilots license. That's not quite the case in the EU with 14 areas of subject matter to master prior to acquiring an ATP. Americans have it much easier-knowledge wise. This is not intended to say that Americans have any problem whatsoever in flying an airplane, only that their theoretical knowledge is smaller. Given that fact, I assume Cathay requires more experience; however, this is just my opinion.

Hey spongeboob, a real Canadian would spell their nationality correct.
This guy is pure flamebait.

Hickory Stick
18th Feb 2006, 03:26
Not true Soney:

Quebecers or Canadien french spell it that way. They may or may not be real Canadians! I think they are still pissed about not winning the war for Upper and Lower Canada hundreds of years ago. But like a rotten child, we let them rent anyway. That is the Canadian way, EH!

Cheers

sony
18th Feb 2006, 04:09
Not true Soney:

Quebecers or Canadien french spell it that way. They may or may not be real Canadians! I think they are still pissed about not winning the war for Upper and Lower Canada hundreds of years ago. But like a rotten child, we let them rent anyway. That is the Canadian way, EH!

Cheers

After reading his posts I automatically assumed he was not a Quebec person. The rest of us from Canada call ourselves Canadians.:}

spongebob_pilot
18th Feb 2006, 23:50
my apologies to all. it is such a pleasure to see so many come and respond to a little criticism. flyingsaucer, listen to these chaps, they know what they are talking about. Good luck with all of you endeavors, eh.

CorpoRat
2nd Mar 2006, 05:24
What a wonker you are, I think the response was solicited by your rudeness and ignorance more than the subject matter. You are an embarrasment to the proffesion.

mayday911
2nd Mar 2006, 15:20
As someone who has been successful for the DEFO position who has neither the 1000+ PIC or had the 5000+ total hours and on top of that a "stupid" American...I say apply with your CRJ time and see what happens.

Mayday

DropKnee
11th Mar 2006, 21:58

If Americans are so dim as you suggest. Why is our flag the only one on the moon? Also America has more flight operations then the rest of the world combined. I think our approach to aviation is just fine.

spongebob_pilot
12th Mar 2006, 00:07
You americans have been to the moon, there is no disputing that; however, explain why the flag that originally (1st trip) was placed on the moon and filmed waves, as if it was a windy day. I've always been curious on how a flag could blow in the wind in an atmosphere without wind. Also, the american airspace system may be the largest on the planet, but it also appears to be in shambles whereas the majority of the world has already rebounded!! I'm sure you work for some low cost carrier that has undercut a legacy carrier, because your willing to work for lower wages and without a pension...possibly because you couldn't get hired by a major, or perhaps your just a career regional driver who also has done nothing but attempt to undercut other poorly paid regional pilots in order to win flying. Your right, America once was something for the rest of the world to shoot for in terms of work rules and wages; however, just like your foolish egomaniac president, the rest of the world is better without you. It appears that, as your name implies, you have dropped to your knees and done the dirty for peanuts. If this is what you mean as far as the system doing well, then i suppose we have a different understanding of the term. As usual, an american thinking that you have the best of everything, its no wonder the rest of the world despises your country. My name may be dick, but i speak the truth.

DropKnee
12th Mar 2006, 01:09
You americans have been to the moon, there is no disputing that; however, explain why the flag that originally (1st trip) was placed on the moon and filmed waves, as if it was a windy day. I've always been curious on how a flag could blow in the wind in an atmosphere without wind. Also, the american airspace system may be the largest on the planet, but it also appears to be in shambles whereas the majority of the world has already rebounded!! I'm sure you work for some low cost carrier that has undercut a legacy carrier, because your willing to work for lower wages and without a pension...possibly because you couldn't get hired by a major, or perhaps your just a career regional driver who also has done nothing but attempt to undercut other poorly paid regional pilots in order to win flying. Your right, America once was something for the rest of the world to shoot for in terms of work rules and wages; however, just like your foolish egomaniac president, the rest of the world is better without you. It appears that, as your name implies, you have dropped to your knees and done the dirty for peanuts. If this is what you mean as far as the system doing well, then i suppose we have a different understanding of the term. As usual, an american thinking that you have the best of everything, its no wonder the rest of the world despises your country. My name may be dick, but i speak the truth.

Spongeboob,

I will agree with you that if nothing is done about falling wages. Aviation as a career will be dead.
As far as the rest goes. Opinions are like a@#holes. Everyone has one....

ChinaClipper
12th Mar 2006, 01:21
always nice to see someone getting a helpful hand in asking a few basic questions.Saucer, ya wont know until you try, you'll get there sooner than anyone with a screen name of a cartoon sponge. Also nice to see that any 12 year old sanctimonious ****** with a computer can opine as to such heady topics as astronautics, oral technique, and world views, all at apparently no cost to us. BTW This may see diabolic, but the moon flag footage was shot on a Hollywood soundstage; Along with footage showing the US kicking the Nazis out of Europe, liberating numerous Concentration camps, the Japanese from dominating nearly all of Asia and preventing the Soviets from running rough shod all over the place, curing polio, inventing sliced bread. Next up, a cure for the rude aviation wanna bees that clog up an otherwise helpful aviation resource....... :ok:

777tinpis
12th Mar 2006, 02:41
explain why the flag that originally (1st trip) was placed on the moon and filmed waves, as if it was a windy day.

Well as a very smart and informative friend said, the flag waves as if on a windy day in an environment that doesn't have any wind..... Is that when the astronauts let go of the flag after placing it, naturally the flag will move and because there is no air to provide resistance to stopping it. It just waves on and on as if on a windy day..... makes sense.
And sponge bob geez you need some remedial sessions on your people skills, c'mon mate some kindness and encouragment wouldn't go astray these days.

flying saucer, bloody go for it mate give it the best shot you got! i would if i had the experience you have on CRJ 200s. Good Luck!:ok:

spongebob_pilot
12th Mar 2006, 03:02
three responses in the time it took me to drop my pants and take a shat. Waving flag due to lack of resistance....why didn't I think of that one. Or mawybe i sarw thee flagg stiffer than me jockstrap wif some mornin whould. Spongebob squarepants tells it like i see it, you order crappy patties, you get crappy patties. it appears that i may have made some new american friends (or foes). I think we should all take a moment and thank the americans for being born, removing nazis, liberating concentration camps, dropping nuclear bombs on japan, curing formidable diseases, and inventing bread. Wow, now that is a list of achievements. Let's not forget that Amerika recruits its top engineers, scientists, doctors, etc from every country around the world....yes thats right doctors from india, engineers from germany, scientists from the soviet union. Your country brings in talent and outsources even more....capitalism at its best....only look where you're headed you walmart shopper. Low prices and even lower wages. I do feel the patriotism at work....maybe you feel effects of the patriot act when your country spies on its own people, or locks up "american" japanese citizens during WWII, or brings war to Iraq on false pretenses, or sells small arms to third world countries, or neglects Rwanda, or elects Bin Laden business partners for presidents, or invents the nuclear bomb....to eventually use it and now forever wonder why some other country would want to, or or or. the list can go on and on and on....and quite frankly there is no hope of changing it for you cannot see beyond your borders. Life isn't encompassed within the US of A......as much as the rest of the world would like to politically shut you up. Sometimes no action reveals itself as an important action......especially speaking of the USA and the their ever growing need to show the world how important they really are. Unfortunately.....not for too much longer......or should I say Fortunately. Maybe you could claim that you invented pizza, the wheel, and fire too!

Mink
12th Mar 2006, 03:36
Somebody has country envy...

gr8bus
12th Mar 2006, 20:25
Hey Spongebob,

With your way of thinking you could run for office here in the U.S. as a Democrat. It's getting harder and harder to tell the difference between enemies of the U.S. and Democrats here. They all sound the same.
Good luck to you!

machten
13th Mar 2006, 03:18
wtf?! what is up with this sponge guy? ok cool, he's pissed at the americans. who isn't nowadays? but dude, cut the bulls*&t or take it somewhere else. i'm trying to do some research here for an interview and all i'm reading is this dude's paranoia about flags in the moon. i appreciate the entertainment bob, but, you're wasting my frickin time.

Corny
13th Mar 2006, 04:39
If one hasn't figured it out, Americans are not welcome at Cathay. In general, Americans are completely void of piloting skills, technical knowledge, and any sort of charisma. They tend to speak too loudly and stupidly, and let's not forget: they smell. Their republic has trampled all over this earth causing nothing but pain and suffering. If America would take a few more lessons from Canada, especially Quebec, our world would be a much more grand and happy place. Stay away from Cathay, your ignorant selfish ways are not welcome here.

cpt hamna sheeda
13th Mar 2006, 07:57
Well, at least you guys have something to talk about during your long haul flights together:zzz: ......

Rogi
15th Mar 2006, 12:26
great entertainment...
But could somebody tell me if it would be sufficient to have a couple of hundred hours on the A330 (200+) at time of application to get in as a DEFO ? Freighter or pax ? total jet time only 1500 Hrs.
Cheers,
Rogi

boxjockey
16th Mar 2006, 01:12
I have never seen so many generalizations and stereotypes in all my life. I am an American. I have tremendous pride in my country. I don't like the way our country is headed. I don't like our foreign policy. I have traveled a few places around the world, and have enjoyed myself immensely in each and every one of them. I respect everyone elses culture and treat everyone i meet equally. If you want to get a view of the American people, and their beliefs, just look at our presidents' current ratings. The fact that you would make comments about our country based on our current political leadership makes you just as prejudicial and hypocritical as the "Americans" you criticize. I have my second interview in May, and I hope more than anything I am able to join Cathay, as it is the place I have wanted to work since I began flying. I know there are many great crewmembers there, and I look forward to meeting all of them, but if Spongebob is really one of yours, you guys should find some way to put a muzzle on him. Cheers mates!!!!

box :E

Rogi
21st Mar 2006, 15:55
really nobody who can answer my questions ??
I expected a bit more advice/help.... :(

planestupid
21st Mar 2006, 15:56
Sponge,

one word for you: D*CKH**D!!

spongebob_pilot
22nd Mar 2006, 16:53
no its spongedick squarepants............stupidboy.

nolimitholdem
23rd Mar 2006, 21:44
This is fun and all...here's a question related to the thread title if it's ok!
Quote:
A minimum of 1000 hours in one of the following categories:
Airline Jet Transport
Command Turbo Prop (MAUW greater than 20,000 Kgs)
High Performance Military Jet
Corporate Jet Command
I do not have 1000 hours in any one of these categories, however I have >1000 hours in two of them combined (Airline Jet Transport & Corporate Jet Command). Anyone know if this would be acceptable? (>5000 TT)
Also, if I have had an app in previously for SO on the pax side, do I reapply separately for DEFO on freighter or use my existing PRN?
Thanks for the replies, and yes I have used the search function...other threads seem to be somewhat hazy on these two questions.

junior_man
23rd Mar 2006, 23:46
I would update the existing app you have on file. I know of two people who had SO apps on file and were called for FO interviews. I think if they like your time they will let you know. Main thing would be to keep it up to date.

Flying saucer, apply now. They will keep everything on file. You may get an interview. If they want more time, then keep it updated. You never know when minimums will change either.

Spongey can't be a Canadian. Far too rude.
(I am also wondering why he is named after an American cartoon character.)

Shouldn't be too hard to avoid him at CX, he wouldn't want to go there after he reads that the airline was started by an Australian and an American.

In fact why is he online? Doesn't he know that the internet was originally the DARPA net. Created by the US military.

A nice single pilot C 206 job flying fish off beaches for him maybe? Oops, wait the C 206 is like a Boeing 747, made in America. Better find him an old Beaver.
At least he can't offend the fish, they will already be dead.