PDA

View Full Version : DESO Interview Questions

CV Donator
16th Feb 2006, 11:01
I've come up against a brick wall in the studying for the interview and wondered if anyone would be so kind to help.

1. How many ac in the fleet? I believe this to be 95 ie

22 747-4
26 A330
15 A340-3
3 A340-6
11 777-3
5 777-2
7 747-2F
6 747-4F

However, reading in flight magazine yesterday it says the airline has 5 747-4F. I was convinced it was 6. Then there is the added confusion of the 747-4BCF actually emanating from Cathays Pax fleet.

2. What is best for stopping Reverse or brakes. From reading HTBJ I would say Reverse due to reverse being more effective at high speeds. Anyone care to comment.

3. What is best engine fail 10kts prior to V1 and continue or 10 kts after and continue. I would say 10kts before and continue due to wet V1 being roughly 10kts slower than dry V1.

4. Advantage of fly by wire. Would this be cross crew qualification, lighter, inbuilt redundancy, safety margins ie alpha floor protection.

Anyway back to the books, thanks

Kane Toed
16th Feb 2006, 20:47
CV,

You might want to have a search for those questions on the Tech Log, there is loads of good info there.

I'm not giving you the shove, it's just that you'll find whole threads on some of those subjects I'm sure:)

eljopito
16th Feb 2006, 23:38
Hey guys,
I have been preparing for a month now for the first interview for DESO at Cathay.
All this time (also because I have been working) was spent to HTBJ, Ace the pilot technical interview, the Cathay book by captains XYZ (9th edition, is that too old?) and ATPL theory books.
Now I am moving on to the website, pprune stage :)

That's why I have a few questions to you guys:

- Kane Toed, you mentioned a Tech Log?
Where can I find that?
Just making sure that you don't mean archive which I am browsing
as we speak.

- Where did you guys find the technical info on the different types (747,
A340). It almost looks like a full typerating course on both would be handy for the interview!!

- I still am not able to log into any of the email adresses stated for gouge
on the DESO interview, could anyone profide me with that info?
Needless to say that I would be MOST greatful!!!

That's all folks!
Back to the books for me!
Thanks to anyone who is kind enough to share "the good stuff" with me.

Ciao!

Jopito.
email: [email protected]

Crazy Fists
17th Feb 2006, 17:08
I thought spoilers had the most significant effect of stopping at the high speed end of the landing run. The brakes are the most efficient at relativley low speeds (90 knots or so). Although reverse is most efficient at high speeds, it still contributes little to shortening the landing run. But then I could be making it all up.

Truckmasters
18th Feb 2006, 06:06
Brakes are the most effective across the landing (as an entirety).

Reverse is very effective at high speed but its effect decreases substantially with every knot of reduced airspeed. Consider also that Reverse thrust has to spool the engine up from idle. This again reduces the effectiveness leading to reverse having a small effect on the landing roll. By the time Reverse has reached its full effect you have usually washed 30-40 knots of speed courtesy of brakes and spoilers
If you are coming from a turboprop you may be used to a more effective reverse as (dependant on the engine) you may have less spool up time and more aero braking from the propellor turning into a flat plate.

Spoilers are effective however best benefit is the reduction in lift on the wing, aerodynamic drag (high speed significant, low - .....) second equally important benefit is the increasing in weight transfer from the wing into the brake bogey helping to increase the effectiveness of the brake.

Cloud Cutter
18th Feb 2006, 06:19
I would have thought the engine failure question was quite straight forward. If you are continuing the takeoff, the higher the speed when the engine fails the better, and unless the aircraft is accelerating at greater than 5 knots per second, a continued takeoff from EF at V1-10 would not be guaranteed to work on a balanced field (2 seconds for reaction). V1 wet is applied after any mass restrictions are taken into account.