PDA

View Full Version : Air Asia - Walked into their HQ in BKK

FlighHigher2
16th Feb 2006, 10:32
Walked into Thai Air Asia's corporate head quarter in Bangkok today. Went straight to their HR department, resume in hand. They told me they would hire only pilots of Asian descent, more specifically from countries they fly to, without even looking at my resume. (I am of Eiropean descent). Can anybody confirm this or was this just their polite way of showing me the door???
What are their hiring minimums for direct entry? I am flying jets in the US, just not the right one. I have heard they have a self-sponsored type rating offer. My searches here were fruitless.
Any comment / help is appreciated. Thanks

NZLeardriver
17th Feb 2006, 03:55
Maybe try the Malaysian office?

dekka007
17th Feb 2006, 04:33
As far as I am aware it is now almost impossible for a non thai national to get a job with air asia Thailand.

Something to do with the work permit and visa situation.

AA malaysia may possibly be interested.

At the moment I am also banging my head against a brick wall with all the airlines here in Thailand.

AIRJAE
17th Feb 2006, 12:06
I contacted air asia Jakarta about a month ago. They also said almost same
thing but actual reason was Indonesian goverment policy which changed last
December, restricting foreign pilots working in indonesia.
we all know that they need pilots for their A320....and the most experienced
pilots are off to middle east for better pay....How are they planning to recruit
so many pilots?? does anyone know???

aka320
17th Feb 2006, 12:35
Don't forget,Airasia has few batch of cadets still under training in Malaysia and Thailand..

ARMY OF ONE RECRUIT
18th Feb 2006, 11:42
Not sure if you guys know, but nearly everyone who can afford to pay the bond is leaving AirAsia. I jumped a long time ago. I had enough of the disorganisation that runs ripe in the airline. Right hand doesn't know what the left is doing?

I hear the working conditions in AirAsia have deteriated. Many do not like the constant threats sent by management via email. These threats range from signing-in on time to if you leave we shall send bad letters to your next company... Sounds very friendly!!! What happen to professionalism???

IF you are white and want to join AirAsia (Malaysia), get a 737 type rating then knock on Mohan's door. Once hired be prepared to sit around for a long time before anything happens.The cause of this is the Malaysian Government, they are trying to discourage the employment of expat pilots by delaying the issue of work Visas.

As for the A320, I hear good news. Well not really, the government and DCA has stated that no expats may fly the A320 till every last Malaysian pilot is type rated on the aircraft. This also includeds all of the idiots that were even rejected by AirAsia.

THUD... THUD... THUD... What that sound lah??? Just sound of A320s hitting the ground.

OH I NEARLY FORGOT THE BEST BIT... When you arrive at AirAsia having paid for your own type rating, and will still have to pay for the validations and so on... AirAsia will ask you to sign a bond worth 15,000USD lasting 1 year and/or 1,000 hours... OH OH and the best bit, if or when they fire you... YOU HAVE TO PAY THE BOND... hahahahaha...

I still can't believe that Tony has no idea that all pilots distrust and dislike his management pilots. I am talking about the ones who will smile in your face and call you friend, but when your back is turned... Ouch!!!

I can see the Flight International Titles now "AirAsia grounds and delays aircraft due pilot shortage".

As you can see I am one of the many pilots that was upset by AirAsia and its ways. But I am now in a much happier place and still can't believe how easy life is. Even though I can no longer afford a house as big as the one in Malaysia, I am happy.:ok:

ExMAS
20th Feb 2006, 13:29
As for the A320, I hear good news. Well not really, the government and DCA has stated that no expats may fly the A320 till every last Malaysian pilot is type rated on the aircraft. This also includeds all of the idiots that were even rejected by AirAsia.

THUD... THUD... THUD... What that sound lah??? Just sound of A320s hitting the ground.

Well, the good (or bad) news is that they've taken in a couple of people from outside Asia.

And you've missed one THUD. That would be the last tyre deflating after a long and fast landing.

Wizofoz
20th Feb 2006, 14:08
They told me they would hire only pilots of Asian descent,

So, if you are a Thai citizen of European descent, forget it?

Isn't it funny how those most likely to complain about racism are also the one most likely to practice it!!

Cross Check
21st Feb 2006, 18:59
Wiz, so true. :yuk:

ExMAS, the bad (or good) news is that they tried to recruit... and failed... :ouch: Overlooking an ECAM and not switching on the fans after landing (and parking) would have something to do with that :ugh:

New recruit, touche :ok: be good lah :cool:

FlighHigher, good to be eager, but realise that both Thailand and Indonesia have quite a healthy supply of pilots within their own borders (in Thailand it's called the Royal Thai Air Force). The Departments of Labour in both countries are well within their laws to place restrictions on foreign labour - it is the same in Europe - believe they call it the "right to live and work in the EU". Of course opportunities will exist in starting and rapidly expanding companies, but those opportunities can go as fast as they come. I think you chose to approach the most restrictive (and 2nd smallest) operation in the group - you should be aware of what an ISO 9001/9002 rating imposes on the company (ThaiAsia) - it is the same for TG. Try knocking on KL's door, but mind the queue... :( (and watch for new AOC's starting in other countries - that's a good cue).

kwaiyai
22nd Feb 2006, 05:33
If you know Thai Culture Chai mai? they are also fiercely Nationalistic( U can take that any way U want). Usually Expats will get a 6 month contract. Or similar. Either way look to KL would be a better bet I would think.
Regards,:suspect:

Cross Check
22nd Feb 2006, 14:46
:bored: Chaaaaaaai kap, jing jing maak maak. :rolleyes:

MUFFDIVER
22nd Feb 2006, 19:16
These guys are keeping it quiet but AA is acting as the 'technical support' partner for one of the three airlines given the green light by the Sri Lankan DGCA.

Seems their busdrivers will be expat for the forseeable future

Mr. Green
23rd Feb 2006, 05:25
This is somewhat off-topic but related to AK. Heard from a friend yesterday who recently joined as a newbie. I just couldn't believe the things I hear but I guess that's why they are a LCC.
All new candidates have to pay up front $75,000RM for the A320 Type and another $10,000RM for a MCC course. Provided you pass the type rating, they MAY hire you when they need these poor souls to fill in the gaps. Now, provided they hire you, they will then bond you for 3 Years for line training. So sad to see but all the desperate low-timers are taking their bait.
Let's not forget they have to pay for their own uniform, passes, refreshments, and meals! Oh BUT hot water IS FREE...YIPPEE!!!! :ok: Let's not forget all the incidents they have which Tony and his clan tries to keep all so quiet from the general public.
The interview he told me was more about how you are gonna pay for the A320 type rating than about getting to know the real you and of course, being Young (at heart). Checkbook please!!

kwaiyai
25th Feb 2006, 07:41
Chok Dee Khup, EELeader!:eek:

AIRJAE
26th Feb 2006, 15:48
Mr. Green PLZ. CHK YOUR PM

ARMY OF ONE RECRUIT
28th Feb 2006, 02:53
From a very reliable source (and a very pissed off one at that). The expats sent for A320 training have been renched off the course. Apparently someone in the training department came into the CBT room and told them that they were no longer training for the A320 and will return to the 737. "Oh, if you try to take anything from the CBT room or do not leave, Security will be called"!!!

As for the AirAsia bonds, this is the Management's F**K you trick. They get you in fresh and keen. Then bond you to amount that you would not be able to afford, especially on AirAisa pay.
The excuse is that they are covering their cost. I can understand this, but it does NOT cost 185,000 ringgit to train a A320 pilot, espacially when the training comes free from Airbus!!!:eek:

When the pilots first had a pay review 2004 Capt... scrub that... Mohan talked about market forces, supply and demand. I fullied agreed with him that this is what should dictate our wages. But now the tides have turned, Mohan is not increasing wages to reflect the current market. Instead he chooses to threaten anyone who tries to leave with court action and if that fails, he demands the bond, which some pilots never signed up to.

If you do join AirAsia, please sit down and have a long hard think. Do you really want to be locked in an airline for 5 years, where the management uses fear to control your actions? Do you want to be at an airline that does not reconise unions, which you rely in management's 'good will' to adjust pay accordenly and you not being represented fairly if an accident/incident occurs?:uhoh:

The markets are on the rise and so is the pay. In few years there is going to be some very attractive jobs, but you cannot leave, because the bond is too much. Not a pleasant thought.

Go get your own A320 rating in the US, which will cost a hell of a lot less than AA's. Once you return with type rating in hand, go see Mohan. He will give you a job, because I know he will be desprate for A320 guys. Get your experience. Don't sign a bond, if you do, keep it small. Once you get a job offer from a real airline, GO.:ok:
Remember that the intial 75,000 MYR can buy you a type rating in the US!!! Why pick up another 110,000 MYR bill???:ok: :ok: :ok:

nostep737
28th Feb 2006, 05:54
I'm afraid Army of One, all that you've said

Is the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth

cochise
3rd Mar 2006, 15:49
"Instead he chooses to threaten anyone who tries to leave with court action and if that fails, he demands the bond, which some pilots never signed up to."

Sorry but if you didn't sign a bond then they can do nothing to you unless it is somewhere in your contract.
When I got my job with the airline I'm currently with they were so desperate to train us they forgot to bond us and I never saw a contract. I got a job letter with 2 spelling mistakes and a grammatical error. I've asked a lawyer and it will not stand up in court.
So, for those that did not sign a bond and want to leave it would be wise to seek legal advice.
P.S the Caribbean is even more backward than Asia!!!

fhchiang
14th Mar 2006, 14:45
Malaysia's flying schools is pumping out probably.. 200 pilots a year.. or more...

MFA alone has 160 (self-sponsored)pilots in their waiting list..... and they won't have any slots until ....earliest 2008..... so.... i don't think they will be shortage of pilots in Malaysia(AA and MAS is getting Cadets every year!!).... but there is a BIG SHORTAGE of SChools!!!

HM-Aerospace has no space..
MFA has no space...

so i guess... if the expats aren't coming... they are many Malaysian willing to join.....afterall, it's the best way to get the hours for young pilots age 22 and below..........

for instance.... i may be labeled or hated by some.........but i'm about to join one of the schools this year........

and yes... eventhough i know AK is sucking my blood, i'll still HOP in... because i have no choice, that's the best way to get the Hours.....afterall, i'm only 18 now turning 19 in august..... when i finish, i'm 20.... 5 years is ok considering i'm still so young.....

kwaiyai
16th Mar 2006, 01:44
fhchiang, I was told DCA now issued directive saying no more Foreigners lah. Apparently 181 Unemployed, employable pilots.
Thats what I heard.

AIRJAE
16th Mar 2006, 07:07
Does anbody have clear information on the matter of Malaysian DCA
restricting/banning expats?

fhchiang
16th Mar 2006, 08:05
haha... lucky i'm local lah....

yo bruder kwaiyai.. apa macam? kerja kat mana?

..well..... hopefully i get a job ....... next time... keeping my fingers crossed now.... starting CPL/ir this year

GTR-34
16th Mar 2006, 18:42
i think MAS is gonna slow down intake from now on with the restructuring of the company routes..Airasia should still be ok. Looks like some of the mas cadets might have to do some ground jobs like in mid 90s while waiting for flying slots to be vacant..