PDA

View Full Version : Airfields classed as Brownfield sites!

Copterfan
16th Feb 2006, 08:52
Hi fellow Rotorheads in the uk,

Just received this e-mail from Loop editor Dave Calderwood. I think we should all act, I'm writing a letter today!

***BREAKING NEWS***

Dave Calderwood
Editor-in-Chief, LOOP newspaper
www.loop.aero (http://www.loop.aero/)

15 February 2006

WE NEED YOUR HELP TO SAVE BRITAIN’S AIRFIELDS

This is not a false alarm. This is the real thing.

A new definition of airfields as ‘Brownfield' sites has been sneaked into planning guidelines by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister - John Prescott’s dept.

If this goes ahead unchallenged, then ANY airfield with a building on it could be sold for development as a housing estate. Local councils, businesses and individuals would be powerless to object. There would be no need for large scale planning inquiries such as that happening over North Weald right now. Developers could just go ahead – and they will.

We could lose many of Britain’s airfields within ten years - the pressure for land for new housing is so great that these prime sites would be snapped up.

WE HAVE UNTIL 27 FEBRUARY 2006 TO ACT! DON’T DELAY!

The proposed change was sneaked in as a change within an Annex. It wasn’t even part of the full consultation document.

Was it deliberately hidden like this, or did someone forget to point it out? We don’t know but the change was only spotted last week – too late for inclusion in the latest issue of LOOP newspaper.

Hence this email – it’s the only way we can mobilise pilot and public opinion and register objections to the change before the 27 February deadline. We have consulted with the General Aviation industry and we have their full support.

Indeed, the whole of the GA industry, from flying clubs to engineers to pilot shops and airfield managers is also doing its bit.

WRITE TO YOUR MP!

A letter by post is the best form of communication. It’s a physical object which your MP cannot ignore. Imagine MPs standing up in Parliament waving handfuls of letters from constituents demanding that the Deputy Prime Minister explain his dept’s underhand methods!

Emails, phone calls, face-to-face meetings all have their place too. We have to let the Government know the consequences of their actions, whatever it takes.

HERE IS A SAMPLE OF THE KIND OF LETTER YOU COULD SEND TO YOUR MP:

Dear Sir

I would like to make you aware of a proposed change to planning guidelines by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister which could have a devastating effect on this country’s aviation industry.

Planning Policy Statement 3 (PPS 3) has been developed to progress the Government’s agenda to provide a national policy framework for housing. It says previously developed ‘Brownfield’ land sites should be considered for housing development.

The existing PPG 3 section defines ‘Previously Developed’ land with two example exclusions, hospital grounds and an airfield.

In the revised PPS 3, the definition has been revised and the airfield exclusion has been omitted.

My objections are two-fold:

First, this would almost certainly lead to airfields being closed for redevelopment. General Aviation is a big and valuable industry, supporting many jobs and essential services as well as providing recreational facilities for private pilots, of which I am one.

Second, most of these airfields are in rural areas with insufficient infrastructure to support such huge housing developments. They would change the character of much of rural Britain.

Finally, I also object to the sneaky way this change has been introduced - slipped in an Annex which would not normally be read by the parties involved in the consultation process. It has come to light with less than two weeks left of the consultation process – which ends on Monday, 27 February.

I would be grateful if you could voice our dissatisfaction with this proposal.

More information on this can be found at www.loop.aero (http://www.loop.aero/)

Yours faithfully

<------------------ cut -------------------->

PLEASE WRITE TODAY TO YOUR MP!

Don’t delay. Tell your flying friends about this too - and if you live near an airfield you might want to let your local councillors know that they might have a huge new housing estate on their doorstep within a few years.

Find out the contact details for your MP at: www.locata.co.uk/commons/ (http://www.pprune.org/forums/www.locata.co.uk/commons/)

Copy the letter to:
Office of the Deputy Prime Minister
Planning Policies Division (2)
Zone 4/J5
Eland House
Bressenden Place
London SW1E 5DU
email: [email protected] ([email protected])

Background material and references to the planning documents are available on LOOP’s website: www.loop.aero (http://www.loop.aero/)

Thank you for your attention.

Thanks guys, we need to act.

Copterfan.

Floppy Link
16th Feb 2006, 18:01
Letter done. With a HEMS perspective...don't take away our fuelling options! :\

Copterfan
16th Feb 2006, 19:12
Thanks Floppy Link,

Any and every perspective is welcomed and valid!
Look at the fame and history of North-Weald, yet that is under threat again! Not everywhere will be as lucky as Barton, and that should never have happened IMHO. :*

I'm sure many others will have posted off their letters, and I'm sure that most already knew about it before me, I just had to do something as well as the letters.

Thanks again,

Copterfan.

TeeS
16th Feb 2006, 22:43
Yep, the airfield at RAF Cosford is under threat of this sort of development right now.

There is a silver lining to this, just think how many helicopter jobs there will be once the planners have closed down all the airfields!! (that's pilot humour by the way, I'm not serious!)

TeeS

Thomas coupling
16th Feb 2006, 22:48
IF the GA fraternity was thriving, wouldn't many of these forgotten airfields have a new lease of life? By remaining derelict or under used, then surely that's what they are - derelict and fit only for re-development.

It's not as if they are kicking aviation out of their homes is it? Or is it?

Use it or lose it.....................................

PANews
16th Feb 2006, 23:58
Not really so in the case of North Weald.

Over 100 aircraft based and used regularly. Focal point for Jet Provost training, Warbirds, film facilities [including the new James Bond film] and tea stop for the power/pipe line patrols. Two new hangars erected in the last 24 months. That tight for space, so no dying hereabouts.

And the history.

And yet STILL one of the biggest bit of bright green brownfield around!

Perhaps we had better support Free eyesight tests for Deputy Prime Ministers?

Copterfan
17th Feb 2006, 08:53
Hi Thomas Coupling; expensive as GA is, I don't think it's a case of lack of use, more time and money. And another factor is having the 'pro' licence or the equipment to fly in any weather. Many people sit and wait at Barton, praying for a break in the clouds, or trying to persuade an instructor to take them up...

Hi TeeS; I'm fond of Cosford, having won a running gong there competing for the A.T.C. many years ago...However, I'm not surprised, as this govt. slowly but surely de-commissions the R.A.F! Makes me seethe :*

Hi PANews; One of my ultimate aims is to fly a jet out of North Weald, but will I be able to, or will I have to travel to Oshkosh or South Africa?

This website is a tremendous resource of intelligence, experience and ability, and a lot of fun. I know that it isn't a political group, but surely none of us can think that we are sitting pretty and free from the many tentacles of beaurocracy?

All aspects of aviation exist to support us all, whatever our personal standpoints are, I just feel that we should do what we can when we can. And here is something all of us can do before the 27th of Feb.

Thanks again for your responses,

Copterfan.

muffin
17th Feb 2006, 12:44
Unfortunately no airfield owner will be able to resist the lure of the cash that their site would be worth with residential planning permission. If this rule change does get through as well it might, the airfields will start to fall like ninepins. What will that do for all of GA, both rotary and fixed wing? Where will we all get our fuel from then?

I have written to my MP.

DBChopper
17th Feb 2006, 13:09
My letter is in the post, as is an e-mail, and the letter copied to the Deputy PM. I posted pretty much the same as Copterfan yestrday on the Helitorque forum with a similar message. Let's bombard these idiots with some of their beloved paperwork and show them our strength of feeling.

Vfrpilotpb
17th Feb 2006, 13:47
The Brains on the Local Council at EGNH have already sold nearly half of the outfield area at Squires Gate, so much so that I doubt if they are able to expand their " Big Holiday Jets any further than is current"

If you take of from their "H North" position in an Esaterly direction within 1000 yard(or Mtrs) you are flying over J Max's Hanger and then private warehousing,

Good Eh.

and thats a field that is in constant use by many operators, rotary Fixed and Commercial,

In fact if you fly rotary and need to hover taxi into the Heli 2000 company within 50 mtrs on your right hand side is a bloody great big brick wall of some sort of supermarket, so it aint just unused or semiderilict field where this is happening!:(

Vfr

Express Heli
17th Feb 2006, 16:24
The old airfield at Weston-super-Mare (just east of Bristol, EGGD) is to become houses. Granted it is not used anymore for aviation, but there is an annual event for modified car enthusiasts and the airfield is used for storage when Helidays comes around. All the attending military helicopters land at the airfield the day before the event starts, they then fly down to the beach (the event's location) and back to the airfield when the event is over.

It will be a shame to see it become a housing estate, especially as there aren't really any jobs here anymore - just houses.

P.S. For more info on Helidays 2006 PM me.

northwealdflyer
18th Feb 2006, 10:22
Guys this is more than important it could be catastrophic for your local airfield.The quick wat to contact your MP is to use the link Dave has inseted. Go on to tell them how disgusted you are with the underhand sneaky way this has been introduced.Then print it and send a hard copy.

EESDL
19th Feb 2006, 18:03
Succinctly covered in the Saturday Telegraph.
Letter & e-mail sent
Beggars belief!!