PDA

View Full Version : December 29th, 1940

Rollingthunder
16th Feb 2006, 05:03
A concerted effort by the Luftwaffe to target St. Paul's and destroy Londoner's will. After all it had burned down twice in a thousand years. Fire bombs and high explosives all around. A group of volunteer architects protecting the cathedral - totally surrounded by fire. Shoe Lane and St. Aldgate's in flames.

St. Paul's dome is a wooden structure clad in lead - not masonry. Few people know that.

They missed - but not by much - and many Londoners died in this blitz.

I do like London - it's narrow streets and lanes - don't care about the traffic problems - I like to walk in the history.

BOFH
16th Feb 2006, 05:16
I gather that their request for Lottery funds to maintain the dome was denied about two weeks ago.

BOFH
(lives near the first V2 hit, which was reported as a gas explosion)

Loose rivets
16th Feb 2006, 06:45
Odd that this post should be here now. I have just watched a PBS broadcast about the early blitz. It was said that they were focusing on St Paul's. I don't watch a lot of telly here, but this prog held me spellbound for an hour. Despite being intermittently dramatized, it showed so much detail in this documentary that I wasn't aware of. The fire fighting on the dome and roof being one aspect. Some of the shells were penetrating the lead and playing on the aforementioned wood. On the arrival of the first shell, a man was able to prod it back out.

I must be in the minority of ppruners to have listened to incendiary bombs hitting my roof. I went out into the street in Colchester at 03:00 to watch the end of it burn down.

Mostly, I hadn't realised the extent of the focused effort on that night. Thank heavens the last wave turned back.

The film was a reality check after spending dinner, watching HM the Q hosting a grand dinner at Windsor. What a strange world.

chevvron
16th Feb 2006, 08:23
Request for Lottery funds denied. Yes they have to give the money to illegal immigrants under government rules. It's amazing how much Labour are filching from lottery funds to perform their own agenda. The lottery was NEVER meant to top up government coffers.

Onan the Clumsy
16th Feb 2006, 12:08
I saw the PBS documentary last night. Very interesting and quite well done. The Fire Brigade were on the roof of St Pauls filming the city burning. In some of the film taken on the ground, it really looked as if the firestorm had started. Some of the flames were driven by very strong winds.

I especially liked the bit where the couple got on the bus.

PaperTiger
16th Feb 2006, 15:56
I especially liked the bit where the couple got on the bus.Well, I would have liked it had the bus not been a ROUTEMASTER ! :uhoh: :8

(For the bus-impaired that's the equivalent of having Hunters or Javelins fighting off the He111s.)

Onan the Clumsy
16th Feb 2006, 16:45
Point taken Paper Tiger but...

I went to the London Transport Museum once and got on one of their old busses, that probably hailed from about that time, as I looked around me, I couldn't help but wonder if it was actually an RM: The seats were the same, in the same place, covered with the same fabric etc etc. I looked outside and checked. It wasn't an RM, but the differences were quite minor, so I'd rephrase your point as:
(For the bus-impaired that's the equivalent of having Spitfire Mk IXs fighting off the He111s.)

Yours pedantically, OtC

stue
16th Feb 2006, 17:02
BOFH,

Wasnt that in Chswick (sp?) in London? Im pretty sure that my aunty used to live there, i remember her telling me about it when i was little.

MadsDad
16th Feb 2006, 20:51
Well, I would have liked it had the bus not been a ROUTEMASTER

Only problem there is that the first Routemasters were built in 1954 so it wouldn't have been one of them the people were getting onto in the Blitz.

Or has Dr. Who changed the 'diguise widget thingy' on the Tardis?

Astrodome
16th Feb 2006, 21:38
I went to the London Transport Museum once and got on one of their old busses, that probably hailed from about that time, as I looked around me, I couldn't help but wonder if it was actually an RM: The seats were the same, in the same place, covered with the same fabric etc etc. I looked outside and checked. It wasn't an RM, but the differences were quite minor,
Probably an RT !

http://www.yellins.co.uk/transporthistory/bus2/rtfamily.html

http://www.yellins.co.uk/transporthistory/bus6/177rms.html

http://www.yellins.co.uk/transporthistory/Bus/RT2776.htm

Rollingthunder
16th Feb 2006, 21:45
You can always check on the near-side of the bonnet. The model is always indicated.eg: RM2614, RML1425, RT1244. Of course those days are gone and they all seem to be foreign built boxes now.

I thought I also saw a left-hand drive MG in the doco.

STS
16th Feb 2006, 21:50
It's so nice to see this thread here. I have a picture on my living room wall of St Paul's during the Blitz. I've always loved that image.
Is the PBS documentary that you're all talking about the same one that More4/Channel4 broadcast here in the UK a few months ago? That was the first time that I actually realised that an incendiary device had hit the dome but went out. I used to go to work past Shoe Lane every day and never knew about the history of the street. I was very strange to me the morning after seeing this programme and thinking about the stories of the firefighters that had been there during the war.
I know people moan and groan about the City, but there really is something about it's history that is quite special.

PaperTiger
16th Feb 2006, 22:00
Point taken Paper Tiger but...No buts, it's sloppy research/production. We here are quick to jump on any cinematic aviation anachronism (of which there are many); likewise rail buffs on seeing a BR Standard 5MT hauling a WWII 'troop train' (10 points for naming the move ;) ). You wouldn't let a Triumph Mayflower pass for an RAF staff car (another 10 points), would you ? There may not be a roadworthy ST, but there are lots of RTs which, while probably not of genuine 1940 vintage, would at least look the part a bit more.

Onan the Clumsy
16th Feb 2006, 22:40
Come come now RollingThunder :* you know very well that 2614 was never assigned to an RM :*

Off the track I know, but look closely, see the sign being held up :}

http://www.londonbuspage.com/JPGs/cover.jpg

Rollingthunder
17th Feb 2006, 03:24
Damn, I knew someone would check.

OK, RMXXXX.

I've got a book somewhere that lists them all, and I mean all London buses.

Never known a country that loves their buses as much, or trains or trams or aircraft.

chuks
17th Feb 2006, 07:55
My German wife came for a visit to London last weekend. The nice lady at Tower Bridge was trying to sell us on taking the free guided tour focused on some aspect of the War. I pulled that, 'She's Cherman und vee dunt talk about zee varr!' on her. Then pointed out that I was just joking, hah-hah. As if!

Not much later my wife asked me why it was the Brits kept banging on about the War when the Germans and the French largely tried to ignore it. Cue 10-minute history lesson, c/w with famous Churchillian quotes. Now she knows!

eal401
17th Feb 2006, 08:08
Is the PBS documentary that you're all talking about the same one that More4/Channel4 broadcast here in the UK a few months ago?
Just the question I was going to ask! That was a very good programme IMO. Prompted me to start thinking about what life in Britain was really like in WWII. Fortunately a visit to Borders a few days later led to the purchase of this book which I can highly recommend. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0755310284/qid=1140167205/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_2_1/026-6468095-6790800

BOFH
17th Feb 2006, 08:31
stue

first V2 on British soil was Staveley Rd, Chiswick. The second arrived less than a minute later in Epping.

BOFH

lexxity
17th Feb 2006, 10:30
likewise rail buffs on seeing a BR Standard 5MT hauling a WWII 'troop train' (10 points for naming the move )

Can I guess Yanks? That is a great film, filmed in some nice parts of the country;), if slightly dotted with inaccuracies.

Lon More
17th Feb 2006, 12:53
Lexxity, unfortunately the small inaccuracies spoil it for those with some knowledge.
Saw the programme a few months back; I think the MG was anF model - built in the 1950s. Even if it wasn't I don't think any LHD versions were built pre-war.

lexxity
17th Feb 2006, 12:54
Nothing can spoil Richard Gere in the buff.;)

Sorry back to topic, I'll go away now.