PDA

View Full Version : Court for Gold Coast "Spud" gun genius!

Gotagivitago
16th Feb 2006, 04:18
Probation for man who threatened chopper
Wednesday Feb 15 18:09 AEDT
A man who twice threatened to shoot down a helicopter with a homemade bazooka and tomatoes fired from a spud gun has been sentenced to two years probation.
Anthony Douglas Donohue, 35, pleaded guilty in Southport Magistrates Court to two counts of threatening to endanger the safety of an aircraft.
"You have to admit it was pretty stupid behaviour," Magistrate Alex Chilcott told Donohue after handing down the sentence.
The court was told Donohue, of Sorrento, was annoyed by a helicopter on survey flights near the home he shares with his parents.
It was alleged he made threats to Air Services Australia on November 22 last year after lodging complaints about the helicopter with police and Coolangatta Airport.
"I have a homemade bazooka and if that helicopter is here again tomorrow I will fire the bazooka at this guy," Donohue was alleged to have said.
"I have had a gutful."
Donohue also claimed he was "going to shoot tomatoes out of his spud gun" to bring it down".
The pilot returned to base because of the threats.
The prosecution sought a $5,000 fine, arguing such threats should be taken seriously following a world-wide spate of terrorist attacks.
Donohue's solicitor Bill Potts said his client was under stress over a relationship breakdown and his failure to find work in the building industry following a holiday in the United States.
Mr Potts also said Donohue had been suffering from post-traumatic stress after being assaulted in a home invasion last year.
The noise from the helicopter was "the straw that snapped the camel's back" for Donohue, Mr Potts said.
"My client did not even have a bazooka or a spud gun that could shoot tomatoes so clearly he made a threat he couldn't carry out," Mr Potts said.
"It was a spur of the moment act of stupidity in circumstances where he was clearly distressed."
Mr Chilcott ordered Donohue to undergo psychiatric counselling as part of his probation orders.
İAAP 2006
Gotagivitago:ok:

i4iq
16th Feb 2006, 04:52
Crazy Ozzie with a Spud gun? Sure it wasn't a Pomme?!