PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Delete a Folder(s)

dwlpl
15th Feb 2006, 23:23
The kids have created a folder in which there is another folder in which there is another two folders.

All four folders are said to be 0bytes in size.

The thing is none of them can be deleted.

When I try to delete up pops a message:

Cannot delete <filename>:Cannot find the specified file.
Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.

Anyone with ideas as to how I get rid of them?

Keef
15th Feb 2006, 23:43
Are they still there after you've restarted the machine? Some file managers will continue to display folders after they've been deleted.

What process are you using to delete them? Normally, Windows Explorer, tab down to them, then click on them and "File" - "Delete" will do the job.

Conan the Librarian
15th Feb 2006, 23:57
If I get this problem - and it isn't that rare - then go to the last subfolder and delete. Then work back up until you get to the folder you originally tried to kill. Delete that one too. Haven't a clue why it should work this way, but it seems to for me...

Conan

dwlpl
16th Feb 2006, 21:13
Are they still there after you've restarted the machine? Some file managers will continue to display folders after they've been deleted.
What process are you using to delete them? Normally, Windows Explorer, tab down to them, then click on them and "File" - "Delete" will do the job.
I right click the icon and select 'Delete' or I drag and drop into the Recycle Bin.

Either way it won't let me.

dwlpl
16th Feb 2006, 21:14
If I get this problem - and it isn't that rare - then go to the last subfolder and delete. Then work back up until you get to the folder you originally tried to kill. Delete that one too. Haven't a clue why it should work this way, but it seems to for me...
Conan
Have tried that and the four folders are still there!!!!!!!

terryJones
16th Feb 2006, 21:33
Right click on file,look in Properties, and make sure READ ONLY not ticked.

dwlpl
16th Feb 2006, 22:52
Just tried that.

Two out of the four folders will let me deselect the read only button, but they will still not allow me to delete the folder.

terryJones
17th Feb 2006, 00:24
see if you can delete it in a DOS window (If you are happy in dos)
Start>Run type "command com" without the quotes, then navigate to the files and delete them.
Type "exit" to get back out.

BLUE SKY THINKER
17th Feb 2006, 07:37
There is a facility in HijackThis: http://www.download.com/HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html, under 'Misc Tools' to select and delete on reboot any file that Windows is unable to.

NB:'Misc Tools' may need to be accessed via 'Config' if not immediately obvious; depends on initial window opening on first and subsequent use.

dwlpl
17th Feb 2006, 18:37
see if you can delete it in a DOS window (If you are happy in dos)
Start>Run type "command com" without the quotes, then navigate to the files and delete them.
Type "exit" to get back out.
Not well up on DOS.

How do you navigate to the Desktop from DOS and then delete the files?

vapilot2004
17th Feb 2006, 19:35
DWLPL, after you get to the DOS prompt type this:

CD DESKTOP
(changes the working directory)

to find the offending file/folder do a DIR read:
type DIR
You will see a list of the contents of your desktop and might need to scroll around a bit.

Now the fun part:

Type RMDIR /S FOLDERNAME
where foldername is the name of the offending folder. Note that if the Folder name contains spaces enclose the name within quotes.

Example to kill Out damn Folder we would type:
rmdir /S "out damn folder"

Note that each DOS command needs to be followed by the ENTER key to execute.
Good luck !

When you are done type EXIT and hit ENTER.:ok:

PS if this won't fly - take BST's advice and get Hijack this - excellent tool and entirely legit despite its' name.

tallsandwich
17th Feb 2006, 20:36
Before you install anything to do the job, just reboot and then try to delete these files.

The file could simply be locked by a process that is not an application (i.e it has no visual components) so even after you have closed all your applications there is still a program which has a file handle open and blocks explorer from deleteing it.

If you have a cmd window open and explorer open, you can try dragging these folders into the cmd window - this (normally) prompts the cmd window to auto type the full path of this folder. You will then see the 'real' name of this folder (in quotes) and can use the above advice to remove the files in cmd using this path name.

Consider booting into safe mode and deleteing the files.

As they are zero bytes then they take up no space and you could ignore them?

dwlpl
19th Feb 2006, 07:40
With thanks to all above I have managed to get rid of the folders using the DOS (using vapilot2004 step-by-step post) method.

unclenelli
19th Feb 2006, 07:59
there are 2 methods I can think of for deleting the folders:
Boot to safe mode (Hold F8 during boot & select Safe Mode) so that minimum drivers/progs are run on bootup
Delete the folders using win explorer (cascading backwards if neccessary)

Boot to DOS (hold F8 during boot & select DOS prompt)
if the folders are named as follows C: \windows\reallylongfoldername\evenlongerfoldername then type the following
cd\windows
cd\really~1 (this is the DOS name for folders using the 8-3
(filename system e.g. filename.ext)
cd\evenlo~1
del *.* (deletes everything from last folder)
cd..
rd\evenlo~1 (deletes the last folder)
del *.* (deletes everything from remaining folder)
cd..
rd\really~1 (deletes the remaining folder)

:ok:

I hope this works, I'm at work at the moment and am typing this from memory!

************* OOPS! - You solved it while I was typing ***************

terryJones
19th Feb 2006, 11:55
dwlpl
Sorry I did not get back to you quickly, other matters apart from PPrune I'm afraid, but still, the idea was right and I am glad to see that vapilot2004 told you anyway.

Powerful tool is DOS...

Edited to spel Matters write...