PDA

View Full Version : DHL to shift flying from Astar???

jj42
15th Feb 2006, 19:17
anyone heard this...DHL to shift flying to ABX from Astar? supposedly Dasberg had negotiated 6 727s under contract with DHL for lease extensions, but DHL changed decision today and decided to park by summer or year end (not sure which)??? looks like no upgrade for yours truly this year. please confirm anyone if its a done deal?

cvg2iln
16th Feb 2006, 02:25
Last night was ugly, ABX flew ten trips which we couldn't manage. The 1-800-345-.... is full of the usual spinning propaganda. There'll be more than upgrades to worry about unless we wake up and lose alpa and the hidden agenda of the national MEC. Remember Emery? We're playing a very different game that now calls for different representation. Wouldn't surprise me if we lost six 72s, we've just demonstrated to DHL that we don't need them.

mercpc9
16th Feb 2006, 14:07
Last night was ugly, ABX flew ten trips which we couldn't manage. The 1-800-345-.... is full of the usual spinning propaganda. There'll be more than upgrades to worry about unless we wake up and lose alpa and the hidden agenda of the national MEC. Remember Emery? We're playing a very different game that now calls for different representation. Wouldn't surprise me if we lost six 72s, we've just demonstrated to DHL that we don't need them.
You probably need to look at how other companies have been using this method. Learn from other councils/unions mistakes. It looks like airline management in general have learned how to leverage one group against the other via a holding company that owns multiple airlines.

Below is an slideshow presentation of such between Polar and Atlas. It details what you could expect and be prepared for to counter when your management copies Atlas Holding Company method of operation. Ignore the hate between the groups in the presentation and look at what the company does to work them against each other for the holding company's benefit. Expect the same.

Learn from others mistakes.

See Below Links for the Slideshow:

In Shockwave - Presentation to ALPA Executive Board (http://home.comcast.net/%7Ecpt747/Jan24_2006PresentationtoALPAExecutiveCouncil.swf) If your browser has Macromedia Shockwave all you need to do to see each slide is click on the frame.

In MS Power Point - Presentation to ALPA Executive Board (http://home.comcast.net/%7Ecpt747/Jan24_2006PresentationtoALPAExecutiveCouncil.ppt)

RampTramp
16th Feb 2006, 14:30
Could go either way -

- ABX have the 76s they bought from Delta without checking that was what DHL wanted. Could be they'll replace the 72 extentions but they've got to go through conversion first and that'll take time.

- DHL want, over time, to move away from the 'C' cans of ABX to grown up 'A' cans so not liable to take more other than the point above.

The only thing you can be sure of is that, one way or another, it'll all change eventually!

RT

Daysleeper
16th Feb 2006, 14:43
Very interesting... pardon a couple of questions from a european but

whats a MEC? I guess some sort of committee

Whats a CBA? (company binding agreement?)

Of course the difference here is that Atlas Holdings owned both of the company's involved in your example wheras DHL owns neither.

cvg2iln
16th Feb 2006, 21:10
mercpc9

Point well taken although this situation is a little different. Both ABX and Astar are independent companies working under an ACMI agreement for DHL. The one holding company two airline stunt to which you refer is certainly one avenue of divide and conquer but it's not being used here.

RampTramp.

Again noted, but hard realities have become apparent. ABX always was and still is an express freight airline having at least CatII approach capability on their aircraft allowing them to deliver on time. We on the other hand always were and still are CatI equipped freight forwarders, we'll get there eventually - but not necessarily to schedule. Customers don't care if the package is carried in an A container, a C container or a bath tub, they just want the service they have paid for.The bottom line is that ABX consistently delivers overnight whereas we don’t.

Daysleeper.

MEC is master executive council, the union board of officers in charge. Each airline has one and there's a national one presiding over all others.

Politics of course come into it. DAL, NWA, UAL, USair are all represented by alpa and (along with others) are all on their backsides. There is only one jewel left in alpa's crown and that is FedEx - and FedEx have a big interest in seeing DHL fail. I wonder about the quality of advice and leadership from the national level that's filtering down to our local when success for DHL's operation in Wilmington is detrimental to FedEx. I cannot help thinking that alpa are yesterday's force and that a change of representation to one without conflict of interest would be conducive to our long-term success. Others would seem to feel the same way, hence our small but lively civil war. As I said in my previous post: remember Emery. A fine example of alpa taking the money and running to the hills. I certainly feel less than confident having alpa on my side.
For us to be successful it's going to be necessary for recognition of our strengths and weaknesses. We're simply not doing that at the moment and unless we acknowledge and accept our place in the DHL machine I fear that it's going to run us over.

RampTramp
17th Feb 2006, 13:59
cvg2iln,

Very good point about the CatII vs CatI and I know the customer doesn't give a damn but DHL sure as hell want the C cans out ASAP (but appreciate it 'ain't gonna happen for several years yet).

Your last comment regarding being run over, the dealings I've had recently do lead me to belive that, while Asar still has some DHL thinkers inside from the old days, it's ABX that has a higher requirement to adjust it's attitude.

RT

trashhauler
19th Feb 2006, 16:23
Merpc9
I read the power point you posted and found quite a few errors in it. A lot of them were, I know for a fact as I was involved in a few thing on our side of the fence, to be incorrect and weighted toward the Atlas view and doubt it was done by ALPA. You did a good job though; I guess I know who you work for now.
Work together we must but each MEC is trying to do the best for his membership. A few of the proposals by the Atlas MEC would have sent a whole group of Polar crews to the unemployment line, this the Polar council soundly rejects. As our MEC put it, "There will be no merger without job and seat protections". I am sure Bourne says the same thing. And you know ALPA's policy on mergers, "We're not happy until you're not happy." You guys are now into your negotiations and I know Polar will support you as they continue to play the same game.

mercpc9
23rd Feb 2006, 02:36
Merpc9
I read the power point you posted and found quite a few errors in it. A lot of them were, I know for a fact as I was involved in a few thing on our side of the fence, to be incorrect and weighted toward the Atlas view and doubt it was done by ALPA. You did a good job though; I guess I know who you work for now.

I didn't write it. I did convert the PPT file to a Macromedia flash file viewable by browser for those that don't have MS Power Point.

As I understand it, it was a presentation given to the ALPA Executive Council by the Atlas MEC. I believe the Polar MEC was present also. I suggest you or the Polar MEC initiate an Article 8 or lawsuit against the Atlas MEC if you can prove otherwise. They presented it to the ALPA Executive Council, so you will have plenty of quality witnesses.

If you want to talk about facts, I will gladly join you on another thread.

I posted it here for the benefit of DHL and ABX due to their similar situation and on what not to do.

mercpc9

trashhauler
23rd Feb 2006, 16:47
You just made my point. Made by the Atlas MEC.

newscaster
25th Feb 2006, 12:22
I have heard DHL will also be starting a new destination Sialkot in Pakistan.

mach.84
1st Mar 2006, 19:13
Repectfully, I believe you are all missing the key point!
In the end, DHL like all businesses will be forced to deal with the reality that cost vs. revenue is ALL that matters.
It will come down to which ever company is of more VALUE to DHL.
The company that makes more money for the parent will survive, the other will be cast aside. DHL can not afford, in the long term, to operate two airlines with repetative costs, there is too much duplication of effort.
The ablity to fly cat II or III approaches or have "standard" A containers (if there is such a thing) will be overshadowed by the bottom line.
On time performance, the ability to keep customers and gain new ones, and cost control are the ONLY things that will matter.
I seriously doubt there will be a need for senority integration, to be frank, one group will survive and one will not!