PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Security Patches!

CherokeeDriver
15th Feb 2006, 19:02
Hi - am I the only one getting totally p1ssed off with having to download 9MB of security patches this month. I work in IT and Mr Gates gives me a very lucrative living, but for fecks sake.....

For those of you better at flying planes than operating your PC go to "Live Update" on Microsoft.com and apply these patches - there are some very nasty people trying to steal your passwords....

djk
15th Feb 2006, 19:06
looks like another one of those "here's an update to fix all the things we forgot to do on this version of windows"

When they did the patches for N.T4.1 one patch was meant to fix about 1500 errors on the operating system

ThreadBaron
15th Feb 2006, 19:59
'n' I thought nicotine patches were a pain in the a**e!;)

Grainger
15th Feb 2006, 20:17
What I don't understand is why does - for example - an email program need to have the facility to automatically send out emails to everyone in your address book without you knowing ? Why do the hooks that viruses exploit even exist ?

djk
15th Feb 2006, 20:35
Grainger,

The more complex you make a system / network the more back doors there are.
Until someone finds that backdoor that's when it's drawn to your attention.

B Fraser
15th Feb 2006, 21:24
Why do the hooks that viruses exploit even exist ?

errrrrrrr.......because the anti-virus software companies write them :confused:

Jerricho
15th Feb 2006, 21:41
Cherokee, repeat after me : HIGH SPEED CONNECTION :ok: ;)

Wonderworld
16th Feb 2006, 06:26
Cherokee, repeat after me : HIGH SPEED CONNECTION :ok: ;)

Oh No. Repeat after me Get a Mac :ok:

Tarq57
16th Feb 2006, 08:40
My first computer (3yr ago) was named "Deep Thought" I ran win98 on it (just.) It had 16MB ram, a CPU of 166Mhz. After I destroyed it the first time through malware and had it fixed and reloaded Windows, it took half a day for me to download the updates since '98 was released. Got fairly interested in malware/viruses etc after that, and haven't had a problem since that I couldn't fix myself. The current machine is a bit of a step up, and runs XP sp2 I like the program a helluva lot, and so do a helluva lotta people, otherwise everyone would be using Macs/linux whatever. So I don't mind the patches/updates one single little bit.
Now if they charged for them......
Everyone whinges about Microsoft. But still it sells. It's a damned good program. How about whinging about the a/holes who commit the cybervandalism?

Send Clowns
16th Feb 2006, 10:34
Repeat after me: Windows 98 is so outdated the major security upgrades have been made, and new viruses don't attack it!

And XP's just as unstable in my experience, but at least I know how to repair '98!

Jerricho
16th Feb 2006, 12:09
How about whinging about the a/holes who commit the cybervandalism?

How about just rounding them all up and make them try their dirty craft on machines using Win 98 :E :E

That would drive them nuts.

frostbite
16th Feb 2006, 12:17
How about just rounding them all up and make them try their dirty craft on machines using Win 98 :E :E

That would drive them nuts. Nah, make them use Win 2K for real horror.

Capt.KAOS
16th Feb 2006, 12:24
Repeat after me: Mozilla Firefox.

If I had to use Windows 98 I couldn't use the majority of our business software. No company is neither maintaining it nor use it for updates.

Conan the Librarian
16th Feb 2006, 13:32
Win 98 is about as stable as Charles Manson on one of his better days, but now, we spend so much bandwidth downloading the latest hotfix from MS, that it makes you wonder if the internets main use is for the acquisition of patches and A/V updates.

Keep smiling chaps - this is progress!!!

Conan

ExSimGuy
16th Feb 2006, 15:32
Yes, I was trying to make several phone callsto UK yesterday using VoIP, and the connection (on a "copper" line) was awful. Then I realised MS was doing "automatic updates". Next thing Norton was teling me new virus definitions needed downloading.

DSL is great - IF you can get it!

Jerricho
16th Feb 2006, 15:52
Repeat after me: STOP USING MY JOKE :(

Bravo Mike
16th Feb 2006, 21:02
'n' I thought nicotine patches were a pain in the a**e!;)
ThreadBaron, are you sure you read the instructions?

ThreadBaron
16th Feb 2006, 21:10
I don't suppository I did BM.:rolleyes: I blame the French.

CherokeeDriver
17th Feb 2006, 13:48
Oh No. Repeat after me Get a Mac :ok:

Have a lovely 8MB ADSL connection actually. Timing, as they say, is everything http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4723390.stm

My wife has a MacMini. Quite probably the most expensive paperweight to grace a studty desk she has ever purchased. I think I am going to give Linux a go at home. Trouble is if I go down that route I'm going to have to stat to put twigs and leaves in my beer, and wear a Terry Pratchett T-shirt.

Wonderworld
17th Feb 2006, 13:55
Have a lovely 8MB ADSL connection actually. Timing, as they say, is everything http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4723390.stm
My wife has a MacMini. Quite probably the most expensive paperweight to grace a studty desk she has ever purchased. I think I am going to give Linux a go at home. Trouble is if I go down that route I'm going to have to stat to put twigs and leaves in my beer, and wear a Terry Pratchett T-shirt.

LOL..:O Talk about Murphys Law. I've been waiting for this. Still I wont ever be changing back to Pee Cee. You're very safe from what I've read about this if you dont use iChat. I dont use it as instant chat programs dont interest me greatly. If I do have cause to use one from time to time it is Adium.

WeatherJinx
17th Feb 2006, 15:12
Ain't the first Mac virus, won't be the last..practice safe computing and you'll be fine - to activate this particularly poor specimen you'd have to be close to terminally stupid anyway.

Personally, I've always veered on the side of using antivirus programs on my Macs, primarily not to become an unwitting carrier for Wintel-using friends and colleagues, but also because I calculated that it was always bound to happen, particularly with the huge momentum around the platform these days.

Now then, CherokeeDriver :rolleyes:

You say the Mac Mini was 'Quite probably the most expensive paperweight to grace a studty [sic] desk she has ever purchased'. Curiously, you didn't elect to tell us why. Care to elaborate?

Or could that be a reflex response from someone who admittedly earns their money from the poor quality excuse for an OS that comes out of Redmond?

Seems to me the only people now slating the macs are IT support grunts who have a financial interest in defending what provides them with a living. Even the 'twigs-in beer' brigade (twigs in beer? Really?), coders and other assorted Unix geeks are falling over themselves to get hold of Macs these days.

Or perhaps it'd be more enlightening (see: entertaining) for you to tell us why you prefer WinBlow$? :p ;)

CherokeeDriver
17th Feb 2006, 15:23
Quite simply MacMini was almost twice the price of a more powerful Intel based Dell PC (at the time) - in 6 months probalby has quarter the processing power / RAM or a newbie device, already has an outdated OS (the new one will be another 80 to stick on), STILL needed regular "updates" to be installed on OS and Norton, runs very slowly when Norton is scanning / updates are processing, MS Office cost almost a grand for the license :{ impossible to upgrade hardware or add peripherals. And all this was Apples first attempt to get people away from Mr Dell / Mr Gates evil empires.

The new Apples (like the MacMini) look on the outside very pretty, have good internals - dual core Intel is a good start! - but when I can get a perfectly capable Dell machine for under 400 that runs Firefox and Office for home use why bother? Buy Dell, Install Linux, spend 600 saved on flying.:ok:

WeatherJinx
17th Feb 2006, 16:10
Not sure I follow where you're going there, Cherokee..

- Mac Mini - £359 (incl 512 mb RAM)

- MS Office - £349 or less (no idea where you're getting your Grand from) You'd also have to buy this for the Dell too - Dells don't come with Office installed either unless you pay, Duuuude! And even if you were planning to install a freebie/cheapie Open Source office clone on the Linux box, there's one or two available for the Mac too.

- Outdated OS - Won't a certain other OS also become obsolete this year? Or perhaps that'll be some other year again :p

- The Dell would be just as obsolete in six months time as the Mac - the curse of all computers I'm afraid.

- Impossible to upgrade hardware - I grant you that, but then you wouldn't be buying a Mini if that's what you wanted to do, would you?

- Again, not sure what you mean about imposssible to add peripherals - what perpherals would you not be able to add?

If the comparison you make did actually leave you with £600 extra flying money I'd be the first to agree, but I just can't see where you get some of your calculations or assumptions from. :confused: