PDA

View Full Version : easyjet buy out

mike1975
15th Feb 2006, 18:49
Heard today that Icelandair wants to go to the stockmarket to raise the money to buy easyjet.

Spoke to a ex sterling captain and everybody is talking about it in the company.

Desert Diner
15th Feb 2006, 18:55
Wow, great rumour! Best rumour yet so far this year:bored:

World of Tweed
15th Feb 2006, 18:58
Interesting potential this one, they already own 15% of the company I believe and I read the other day in Airliner World (sad I know) that there could be potential to merge Icelandair, EJ and Sterling/Maersk to attempt to finish off SAS in shorthaul/domestic.

Beware the Viking raiders....

cwatters
15th Feb 2006, 19:29
Several weeks old...

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=406134&in_page_id=2

Stelios leaves door open for easyJet sale
This is Money
9 January 2006
SHARES in easyJet leapt above £4 for the first time in three-and a half years today as founder and major shareholder Stelios Haji-Ioannou appeared to leave the door open to a takeover bid from the backers of Icelandair.

Amid further concerted buying of easyJet shares today, Haji-Ioannou told the Evening Standard: 'As the owner of the brand, I care who will be the licensee, but I just haven't done enough work to decide if the FL Group [the owner of Icelandair] would be OK or not.'

Continues...

Buster the Bear
15th Feb 2006, 19:40
http://www.huginonline.com/plsql/try/pressreleases.queryview?P_IDENTIFIER=1034207&Z_CHK=32060&p_la=5&p_web=5

Walter Sobchak
15th Feb 2006, 19:45
According to the German 'Manager Magazin' they already were in advanced negotiations with Air Berlin but it finally failed. That is why Air Berlin is considering going to the stockmarket as well because they have to finance their expansion.
I guess the Icelandic have a big plan. Where the heck do they have the money from?

orangetree
15th Feb 2006, 20:45
let them buy what they like as long as it involves getting rid of muppetland.

eoincarey
15th Feb 2006, 22:22
Iceland werent Vikings, you're thinking of Norway and Sweden. The Vikings invaded Iceland.

Ridiculous point but I just finished an essay on the buggers and wanted to demonstrate my superb (yet useless) knowledge.

ETC

World of Tweed
15th Feb 2006, 23:13
eoincarey....

I think Iceland was Colonised by the Vikings of Dano-Norwegian I don't think there were any indigenous peoples before them its hardly the cradle of life out there. In any case by default they are direct descendants of Vikings...if we're going to get picky.

paulcaz
15th Feb 2006, 23:17
:) I see they have just bought out Star Airlines in France!

G-CPTN
16th Feb 2006, 10:38
Iceland isn't ICE-land, it's GREEN-land. It's Greenland that's ICE-land.

Leo Hairy-Camel
16th Feb 2006, 13:33
Interesting potential this one, they already own 15% of the company
16.4% actually, compared with Stelios' personal holding of 16.8%, with controlling shares held by his family interests and Stelmar shipping. The FL group strategy is indeed to merge Maersk, Sterling and other acquisitions into a larger Easyjet in anticipation of the inevitable collapse of SAS. They evidently take the view that Orange is the better brand. We shall see.

Problem is, ...Advertising...is a greedy swine and a little birdie told me he won't dump his load for less than a fiver per share! As it stands, though, with shares at 375ish pence and a market cap. of 1.56 billion quid, the shares trade at an eye watering P/E ratio of 35.94!:eek: Just a whisker above junk grade investment as it is. Surely more than enough to deter even the most ardent northern suitor. Perhaps those in Reykjavik have been made friskier by the sight of SAS bought to its knees. Fun to watch from the safety of distance.:E

Paranoid Parrot
16th Feb 2006, 14:40
Published PE ratio is 25.58. Still high but not 35.94.

Why shouldn't Stelios wait till he wants to sell?

lou0771
17th Feb 2006, 16:18
It s Air Atlanta Icelandic which bought out Star Airlines and not Icelandair

toledoashley
17th Feb 2006, 18:08
Cant see this happening :(