PDA

View Full Version : Kenya Airways, The Shame of Africa

Majutes
15th Feb 2006, 14:51
Due to work in Africa I am often forced to use Kenya Airways. On my last trip, just a few days ago, I arrived at my destination only to find that my luggage had been opened and about $600 of my property removed. There is nothing better then getting ripped off in Africa. I went to there web site to see if I could lodge a complaint only to find that the "contact us" page is not up and running yet. When is Africa going to clean up its act and start offering a decent service? I know that I will just have to live with my loss but I thought I would pop in here and just vent my frustrations. "The Pride of Africa"? You need to think about that one.

It would be nice to hear from some one from Kenya Airways if the read this. Thats if you guys get your computer system up and running...

Thanks for a memorable flight :ok:

surely not
15th Feb 2006, 15:19
Majutes I notice that you are showing your location as Cape Town, South Africa. Do KQ operate direct from there or did you connect via Johannesburg?

If you did fly via JNB it is entirely likely that your bags were pilfered in JNB which is unfortunately well known for its pilferage problems.

As to KQ's responsibility, where did you discover the theft? Were you still on the airport or away from the airport?. If away from the airport then KQ can disclaim any responsibility as in the past unscrupulous people have 'made up' claims therefore everyone has to suffer. If on airport then a report to the police will have to be filed and a case number issued, before the airline takes any interest. I cannot comment on the website but you can always contact your local KQ office. I think KQ use handling agents in most places outside of Kenya therefore it is unlikely that KQ were involved.

Majutes
15th Feb 2006, 16:15
My routing was Jhb-Niarobi-Bamako. I was in transit in Niarobi for about 3hrs. I actualy watched my luggage being off loaded in Bamako and discovered the loss at the airport. The way my bag was packed and the type of things taken mean that who ever did it would have had to have had some time. As far as reporting this to the police in Mali, I know better then to try. As I originaly stated I will have to accept this loss but that dose not mean I have to like it. Don't get me wrong. I know what gose on at Jhb airport and the rest of the continent for that matter. As I said I'm just venting and Kenya Airways will just have to suck it up.

despegue
15th Feb 2006, 16:19
Dear sir,

Please do not post such allegations on a PILOTS forum, but on forums concerning Airline reviews.

Sometimes, it is NOT the Airline who does the handling, certainly not in outstations.
JNB is notorious for its theft problem.

regards,

Despegue

Majutes
15th Feb 2006, 16:41
I take it you work for Kenya Airways or have some contact there. This is an open forum and I am free as you are to express my views. I understand you may not like them but you will just have to deal with it.

madherb
15th Feb 2006, 17:39
Majutes, I also had items taken from my bag on departure from JIA - may I suggest you have your bag shrink-wrapped in the Departure Terminal next time? My claim from the national carrier was paid out based on the weight of the bag before and after the flight, and did in no way reflect the value of the stolen items........TAB!! :{ :{ :{

Regards

M

ETStar
15th Feb 2006, 23:51
Due to work in Africa I am often forced to use Kenya Airways. On my last trip, just a few days ago, I arrived at my destination only to find that my luggage had been opened and about $600 of my property removed. There is nothing better then getting ripped off in Africa. I went to there web site to see if I could lodge a complaint only to find that the "contact us" page is not up and running yet. When is Africa going to clean up its act and start offering a decent service? I know that I will just have to live with my loss but I thought I would pop in here and just vent my frustrations. "The Pride of Africa"? You need to think about that one.
It would be nice to hear from some one from Kenya Airways if the read this. Thats if you guys get your computer system up and running...
Thanks for a memorable flight :ok:

Don't generalize about Africa. Sadly, theft happens all over the place. A sibling lost valuables worth US500+ from a suitcase on a 1.5 hour ATL-DCA trip which did not involve a connection.

kotakota
16th Feb 2006, 08:35
If self-loading cargo ( ie pax ) stopped putting valuables in suitcases then pilfering would cease.
I have used a dirty ( on the outside ) old khaki canvas bag for years , no padlock , to transport my clothes and shoes etc all over the world. I get some weird looks on occasion , but I never lose anything - nothing to fret about -its all replaceable anyway.All my valuables go in my cabin baggage.

rags
16th Feb 2006, 10:39
Madude

If you dof enough to put a computer in your hold bags on any airline in the world you must maar pay the cost. Next time you in Nairobbery pay $200 at the dutty free and get a flight bag that has space for the laptop. Get one that has wheels then you can even drag it to the toilet. The way you sound you probably put the float money in the hold as well.
In future do not blame airlines for your own stupidity. :) :hmm: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Deskjocky
16th Feb 2006, 11:16
surely not,

If you did fly via JNB it is entirely likely that your bags were pilfered in JNB which is unfortunately well known for its pilferage problems.

As to KQ's responsibility, where did you discover the theft? Were you still on the airport or away from the airport?. If away from the airport then KQ can disclaim any responsibility as in the past unscrupulous people have 'made up' claims therefore everyone has to suffer. If on airport then a report to the police will have to be filed and a case number issued, before the airline takes any interest. I cannot comment on the website but you can always contact your local KQ office. I think KQ use handling agents in most places outside of Kenya therefore it is unlikely that KQ were involved.

Couple of things need clarification:
1.Joburg is not always to blame- its not called Niarobery for nothing. Look at the routing invloved. The rest of africa can be just as bad.
2. The airline is ALWAYS responsible for theft of valuables stolen form hold luggage- it has nothing to do with whether there was a third party agent involved or not. You can also claim after you have left the airport- how many passengers do an inventory of their checked luggage at the airport. As for "false claims" thats why there is the limited liabilty clause on every air ticket granting a max payout, which is normally 20 USD per kg.

Spydee
16th Feb 2006, 13:14
Just spoke to my KQ contact when i saw this. Apparently JHR leads in number of lost/stolen luggage items in the KQ network. the matter is so bad that IATA and other airline operators are enagaging JHR airport authorities to do something about this. KQ changed the handling company in JHR a few months ago and is shrink wrapping containers out of JHR. This has led to a drastic decrease in luggage claims.

Regarding NBO airport my contact says that the theft problem has been cut down to almost zero after KQ sacked most of its security agents, hired new ones, installed a state of the art CCTV system, enforced body searches for porters going into the holds and out etc.

Moral of the story. **** happens! Do not pack valuables into your checked luggage.

ByAirMail
16th Feb 2006, 14:10
Don't blame the airline. Everytime a arrived at a destinatoin any where in the world and have bags broken into or contents broken the commen factor is JNB.

Majutes
16th Feb 2006, 18:54
Ok for those of you who want to know. I travle with an old canvas bag too. I already have a smart little carry on bag (with wheels) that I put all my good stuff into. There is a wieght limmit on KQ for carry on luggage. There was only one item in my bag of any value. Like I already said I travle alot in Africa and the rest of the world and have been for many years. I don't claim to be smart but I'm not stupid iether. I also stated that I have accepted the loss. It just pisses me off that this happend. For the most I have always had a good flight with KQ but don't start shifting the blame here. I payed them for the ticket and they took my bag off me at the airport. THEY ARE RESPONSABLE!!! As much as I must accept this loss they will just have to accept my criticism.

captain cumulonimbus
16th Feb 2006, 21:15
MAJUTES my good man'

Here are KQs numbers for JNB:

-Airport office: 011 571 8800

-Sandton Main Office :011 881 9795

it would have been wise to have made personal contact with a KQ representative IMMEDIATELY upon arrival,and then followed up with their JNB office upon return quoting the reference number you would have recieved.

I sympathise with you deeply as i've had things stolen from luggage before too.That said,while the airline is responsable,they have to subcontract baggage handling to a handling company such as Swissport or Equity Aviation or AHS.It is them who actually handle your bags,not the airlines themselves.

I must also come to KQs defense regarding them being labelled as a disgrace.I am a pilot,though not with them at all (i'm in South Africa),i have paxed throughout africa and the mideast and even asia with them and have found them pretty damned good by african standards.They do a good line in greaser landings at Khartoum too ;)

Cheers,Cb

PS:The suggestion to shrinkwrap your bags is a good one.It costs R25 and can be found in the checkin area upstairs at JIA but almost guarantees nobody will tamper with them.

Lastly,a word of warning-your bags are NOT,i repeat NOT to be assumed to be safe in the cabin either-i've heard of things like cameras etc being taken from pax while on board!

Majutes
16th Feb 2006, 22:43
Ok. I must thank all for there reply to my thread. I must confess that it was written in a moment of anger. In hind sight I feel that I gave it an very unfair titel. I have flowen with KQ a number of times and have never had anything but praise for them. It dose how ever sadden me that these things happen. I know that it happens around the world but Africa just seems to have such a bad reputation. It realy got to me as I expected so much more from a flight on KQ. Even if it was not there staff who did it they do subcontract this job and maybe should look deeper into who they work with. I will continue to use KQ as they are one of Africas better arelines ( better by far then SAA but I'm not looking for that kind of trouble). Its a pitty that I could not get in contact with one of there offices but I did try over the internet. If any one from KQ can give me an e-mail address I would like to send them an e-mail. I was never looking for remuneration for my loss but rather to just lodge a complaint so as to prevent this sort of thing from happening in the future. KQ should be better than this.:sad:

Kenuck
17th Feb 2006, 05:51
Go straight to the boss. He takes this stuff very seriously.
PM me for the email
As an aside, on my last flight into AMS, the purser gave us a poorly written note from a passenger that claimed that he had lost $6,000,000 of valuables when he left his seat and went to the toilet. He claimed that the cabin crew stole it off him and threatened to sue. We sent a message back saying that we'll chat with him when we arrive and everyone else had disembarked. Turns out that what the cabin crew had done was give him a fresh glass every time he asked for more wine. Each glass, he claimed, was worth $2,000,000 AFTER he had drank from it!!! Crazy.....:hmm:

soups
17th Feb 2006, 15:42
Ever heard of something called LOCK YOUR BAGS?

kotakota
17th Feb 2006, 16:36
C'mon Soups , locking bags is like putting a sign on it saying 'LOOK IN HERE '.
If you think that any self-respecting pilfererer does not possess the requisite keys for any lock in the world.............doh!

captain cumulonimbus
17th Feb 2006, 20:36
most locks attach to the zipper pull-tabs.most pull tabs are NOT that stong.I've retrieved my bags more than once to find the lock and zipper tabs totally ripped off,leaving an open zipper...

locking does not provide the answer.the only advice is get a hard cover case like a Samsonite or similar good quality.

Gooneybird
17th Feb 2006, 22:01
For a variety of reasons ie terrorism, baggage handlers alleged involvments with smuggling etc.., there should be more security regarding luggage; more cameras perhaps?

ScrewyRabbit
18th Feb 2006, 06:16
Hi Majutes,

Saw your rant at your loss, and the guys ripping you off and having a dig at JHB Int. I've also been contracting into Africa for a number of years and had luggage problems. In fact, on my last flight up to Bamako on Jan 7th this year I flew up via Nairobi. KQ promptly lost one of my bags (I had checked in 2). I was flapping big time as it was the one containing all my precious comfort goodies needed to sustain me through a hard month in Mali, you'll know how it is there. Nevertheless, my bag arrived three days later on the next KQ flight and none the worse for wear. It was, however, a hideously expensive Samsonite with three locks on it.

Previous flights to Bamako using the Air Senegal routing via Dakar have however cost me some items in the past, hence the change to KQ and the expensive luggage. I feel your pain Dude, but KQ impressed me very much with everything else they did. Better luck next time.

surely not
18th Feb 2006, 17:39
Gooney putting cameras in place is one thing, ensuring people watch them instead of sleeping is another!!

tic
19th Feb 2006, 02:22
I have seen it in NBO. Years ago, bags taken off, and then all of a sudden 2 guys off with a suitcase in each hand, running for the perimeter fence, obviously slow due to weight, and being rapidly caught up by airport police. We used to call it Nairobbery.