PDA

View Full Version : vibration analyzer

hilaw3
15th Feb 2006, 11:31
We are purchasing a new Bell 407. We are also buying a blade tracker/vibration analyzer. Would appreciate any comments or opinions on the various makes and models available (RADS, CHADWICK, DSS, etc).

oldbeefer
15th Feb 2006, 11:35
Chadwick works well on our AS 350s, but RADS seems better for the 412s

Jackieboy
15th Feb 2006, 12:56
Hi,
We have a DSS Microvib 2, and it works like a dream for 206A/B/L, 212, 412, AS350/355, EC120, R22/44. Highly recommended. And inexpensive too!:)

chuckolamofola
15th Feb 2006, 22:06
Don't go cryin to Bell if you can't work the rotors with something else but the RADS and want warranty support. RADS works best for all of the 4 bladed Bells hands down over the others. You get what you pay for...
There is another new player in the field called IAC, their model is called the 1087 and is priced near the RADS and VXP. They also make the vibe portion of the new 412 onboard monitoring system (BHVM) that Bell/AAI recently STC'ed.
Regards,
Chuck

Blackhawk9
16th Feb 2006, 00:47
As Chuck..... said if you want to do a 4 blade Bell use the RADS , have used and like the chadwick 8500c but have had problems on 412's and 407's with it and have had to fit the RADS to get the job done, there are better systems but Bell support the RADS with info, software etc they don't support the others!

Gymble
16th Feb 2006, 03:33
We leave this sort of thing to our Engineers. They seem to know what they are talking about. Funny isn’t it how we get to think we know after a while when really we would not have a clue.

Firepilot
16th Feb 2006, 07:17
Three or Four bladed maybe. I wouldn't recommend the RADS system for the 206 though. I think their system has some issues. I spent 3 hours over two days last weekend dealing with "Rainman" (a tenth at a time) trying to get one of our L-4s sorted. It wasn't the first time either. If anyone else was willing to let us test one of their systems, we'd probably buy it. (We run the AS350, 407. and 206)

Heli-kiwi
16th Feb 2006, 08:49
From engineering experience on four blade systems I would recommend the Chadwick Helmuth 8500C+, Its easy to use and you can add all the goodies you want, from basic blade track and balance through to a full 12 sensor airframe vibration analysis which can help pre empt component failure. If its easy to use then you will save money on labour costs - I have seen some amazing things done with this system.
In saying that I can't say I've used it on elastomeric heads........

Wunper
16th Feb 2006, 08:50
hilaw3
Bell has invested a fair bit of effort developing and configuring RADS software for their products.
If you want the light helicopter product support managers angle on the matter see page 4,5&8 of this Newsletter
www.bellhelicopter.com/en/support/pdf/rb/rz100102.pdf
And note here the 407 configuration software is kept up to date by Bell.
http://www.bellcustomer.com/files/RADS/index.cfm
Firepilot
If your engineers are having a problem with a MM procedure using Bell software they need to get in touch with Mirabel. Like Chuck says if you would like their ear on a vibe related warranty issue it’s the system they prefer to support. Make sure you have a comprehensive data and move inventory to support your case.
Cheers
W

Cyclic Hotline
17th Feb 2006, 21:14
The 8500 is an easy to use, very practical tool. If you had never used one, you could pick it up, and use it immediately with great results.

The Microvibe is the best all round piece of equipment I have ever used, but I find the controls are not intuitive (to me anyway) and if you are not using it continuously, you have to learn it all over again.

I have used the VXP, but I have to tell you that I had a serious problems using the solutions it proposed and the outcome it generated. In fairness, I suppose that I have experienced some problems with every system that I have used if it is followed blindly, without a little bit of operator intelligence.

Sometimes track and balance adjustments don't all move in straight line mathemetical functions, and there is no replacement for a little bit of human brain power, intuition, and suck and see!:8

HeliEng
18th Feb 2006, 18:07
Personally I'd go with the 8500, it's tops!

Can't speak for a 407, but have had absolutely no joy with Microvibe, and am not a big fan of RADS.

Go for the 8500 with the smart track camera it may be more expensive, but it's proven and it works!!

Blackhawk9
19th Feb 2006, 03:22
I too like the 8500c with Cyclic Hotline and Helieng , but........as I said earlier if your doing a 407 or a 412 you need the RADS , I can give about 3 examples on a 412 and 2 on a 407 in the last 2 years were the 8500 couldn't get the a/c in limits we had to fit the RADS kit and it came in, this is a case of buy the equip the manufacturer recomends not somthing else.
We use the 8500c's on 206,206L, 212, 365's ,S76's and Super Pumas (when Hums fails) and it works great and we have a RADS kit just for 407 and 412 use which was bought just for the Bells because of past problems.

KikoLobo
19th Feb 2006, 08:36
Vote for RADS, bell will not give you warranty unless RADS is used.

And it works very well... AND 407's have all the sensors built in, all you have to do is hook up the rads to the left of the front pannel.

Rusty Bifilar
20th Feb 2006, 03:24
Vote for RADS, bell will not give you warranty unless RADS is used.

And it works very well... AND 407's have all the sensors built in, all you have to do is hook up the rads to the left of the front pannel.

407's don't have the sensors built in. The wiring for the mag pick-up is built in, the rest must be installed for each track and balance.

RADS is the only thing approved by Bell for the 407. Remember, just press DO!