View Full Version : New Routes + 1 more aircraft for EZY in Glasgow

Bbow
15th Feb 2006, 09:45
4 new routes, from July:

- Berlin
- Alicante
- Malaga
- Palma

And one more aircraft to do these routes.

billyg
15th Feb 2006, 10:35
4 new routes, from July:
- Berlin
- Alicante
- Malaga
- Palma
And one more aircraft to do these routes.

Great news for GLA , hopefully to be followed by LGW , CDG and somewhere in Switzerland next winter! :)

nef
15th Feb 2006, 13:36
hopefully to be followed by LGW , CDG and somewhere in Switzerland next winter!

Is that merely a hope or some kind of educated guess?:) I for one have been hoping for years that somebody would see sense and open up a daily CDG/ORY from GLA.

Good to see EZY seem to have finally come to some kind of working arrangement with BAA. It's just a bit of a shame that they appear to some extent to be using the agreement to have a go at GSM by jumping in on two of thier core routes. Great to see Berlin though, should help attract lots of inbound tourists.

Kestrel_909
15th Feb 2006, 14:56
When will GLA/EDI have finished becoming all Airbus bases?

bracebrace!
15th Feb 2006, 15:05
By the end of the summer. Courses start in the Spring and the last one is towards the end of June.
With a bit of luck, now that Webster has left this will be the tip of the iceberg as far as expansion in Scotland is concerned.
We've been telling management for years that they should be expanding North of the border. Shame it's taken so long.....
And as far as eJ 'jumping in' on GSM's routes then maybe GSM should have thought about that before trying to compete on the Scotland STN routes.

WOWBOY
15th Feb 2006, 15:16
Great News!!!

Bit shocking though!!!!

I am happy :D

Joe Curry
15th Feb 2006, 16:39
And as far as eJ 'jumping in' on GSM's routes then maybe GSM should have thought about that before trying to compete on the Scotland STN routes.

This could all end in tears... Easy pulled AMS..SNBrussels
pulled Brussels..Air Canada pulled Toronto..the list goes on..
GSM might be the next Achilles heel at Abbotsinch:ouch:

Bbow
15th Feb 2006, 17:49
Joe Curry, I'm afraid you might be right with regards to crewing...I just wonder where are they going to get the crew from? We are short of FO's in Glasgow as it is already. Perhaps more RHS flying for the captains??

The dualbased thing is keeping people away perhaps??

GW76
15th Feb 2006, 18:11
Dont think hes suggesting crewing problems, more that he thinks GLA will not be able to sustain these services due to over capacity.
Uninformed again.

Bbow
15th Feb 2006, 23:05
Sorry, yes what I meant to say was that the crewing might end in tears, for the reasons I mentioned above.

With regards to whether there's a market for theses flights.....only time will tell.

Oshkosh George
15th Feb 2006, 23:09
I wonder if Ryanair will be looking for a similar deal? Could be VERY good for Scottish travellers.

sparkymarky
16th Feb 2006, 06:41
This could all end in tears... Easy pulled AMS..SNBrussels
pulled Brussels..Air Canada pulled Toronto..the list goes on..
GSM might be the next Achilles heel at Abbotsinch:ouch:

Attaboy Joe. the attitude that made Britain great.

EZY are long overdue for expansion in Scotland, and competition is always good for the paying customer. I hope these are the first of many new routes.

I'm sure Mr Dalrymple would not have been entirely surprised by this announcement. It remains to be seen whether they will react by competing hard on those routes, expanding to new ones, or putting more focus on their long haul routes from Glasgow.

No doubt an announcement will be due in the next month or two on how they will be putting their 767 to work over the winter.

Tarek Nor
16th Feb 2006, 07:50
Joe Curry, I'm afraid you might be right with regards to crewing...I just wonder where are they going to get the crew from? We are short of FO's in Glasgow as it is already. Perhaps more RHS flying for the captains??
The dualbased thing is keeping people away perhaps??

The ONLY Captains that fly in the RHS are training Captains. There
are plenty more FOs and Captains in the pipeline, so no worries there.

Joe keep your Glasgow bashing NOBODY is interested. :mad:

Right Way Up
16th Feb 2006, 08:01
The ONLY Captains that fly in the RHS are training Captains.
Not true I am afraid Tarek Nor

bracebrace!
16th Feb 2006, 08:07
The ONLY Captains that fly in the RHS are training Captains.

That's not entirely correct.

ALL eJ Captains are getting RHS checked as they rotate through the Sim for their LPC/OPC.

The reason that none are doing it at the moment is that there is an agreement with rostering that there will be no line Captains in the RHS for Jan/Feb whilst everyone gets used to the new SOP's.

Tarek Nor
16th Feb 2006, 08:18
Not true I am afraid Tarek Nor

At GSM it is 100% true.

Right Way Up
16th Feb 2006, 08:21
Tarek Nor, we might be at cross purposes here. I assumed BBOWs statement is regarding Easyjet crewing levels. Re-reading it I am not sure either way!

flyer55
16th Feb 2006, 10:29
Any more news about Easyjet going transatlantic ?

Bbow
16th Feb 2006, 12:04
Yep, I meant EZY...

Lite
16th Feb 2006, 12:40
On a related topic, how many aircraft are easyJet currently taking on a month from Airbus, and how far in the year are aircraft currently earmarked for existing bases which have been revealed?

GoEDI
16th Feb 2006, 13:05
I reckon the only tears that have been shed today Joe are the ones you cried when you realised EDI had been overlooked ! As far as EZY is concerned , I'm afraid NCL and not GLA has proved to be EDIs downfall ! :D

http://news.scotsman.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=240322006

Or not, it seems.

WOWBOY
19th Feb 2006, 14:16
Hopefully Berlin is succesful!

Then GLA will see more expansion. Looks promising :)

Maddog Red
19th Feb 2006, 15:50
Would Bremen not be a good base for EZY, it does seem to be crying out for Low Cost airline to come in and make a go of it

WOWBOY
19th Feb 2006, 21:37
I have noticed that many of the NEw routes have very high price tags:

One flight to Malaga in July was £120.99 (one-way):eek:

They must be doing very well in terms of sale as they are not competitive prices!!!

bracebrace!
19th Feb 2006, 22:03
That's because all the cheap fares have gone already.

Must be selling well!

Travel Agent
19th Feb 2006, 22:05
Or the fact it is the school holidays in Scotland from early July :) ;)

Oshkosh George
20th Feb 2006, 21:11
I checked the fares after reading that(it's now MORE than £120),and also GSM,who were even higher!

nivsy
22nd Feb 2006, 17:17
The long suffering scottish traveller always has to endure high fares in the summer, especially during the "traditional" Glasgow fair fortnight in July. However that said and done, was considering a quick flight LGW-GLA on Friday the 4th March with BA around late afternoon - early evening. BA wanted over 163 English pounds for the pleasure!

Nivsy:eek:

billyg
7th Mar 2006, 12:47
http://news.scotsman.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=240322006
Or not, it seems.

With todays announcement of a 1x weekly ALC as their only summer addition from EDI , I think that sort of backs up my theory of bigger expansion at GLA than EDI due to the NCL effect ?

Damian O'Leary
7th Mar 2006, 13:26
It's early days for Easy Jet expansion at EDI .... expect more routes to follow in the autumn.

NCL will not be a factor. If it was remotely a consideration, why bother with any routes at Edinburgh?

GoEDI
7th Mar 2006, 13:27
With todays announcement of a 1x weekly ALC as their only summer addition from EDI , I think that sort of backs up my theory of bigger expansion at GLA than EDI due to the NCL effect ?

There's been a lot of talk about this EZY expansion, and the routes they've launched so far have been disappointing. SXF is the only one of any real worth.

With talk of new routes in the autumn, we'll see if they materialise...