PDA

View Full Version : ATPL module by module

Platinum206
14th Feb 2006, 21:45
Gents,

A question many may laugh at, or not, I'm not sure but thats what this forum is for!

I have completed my JAR PPL, soon to embark on ME IR.
What I am wondering is if it is possible to study and sit, or at least begin to, some of the ATPL exams. From Studying for the PPL, I think its fair to say one can discover quite quickly which aspects and subjects one takes to and finds easier to learn.

Is it possible at all to study one at a time in between getting various licences/ add-ons over a period of time.

I am familiar with the distance learning idea but am not too keen as I know I would not have the discipline to study a certain amount of subjects in a given time due to work and social commitments.

I would like to be able to study until I felt I was ready, sit the exam and have it under my belt as one less to do when I do go to do the rest of the ATPL course exams full time. This would surely also allow extra time and effort to be put into the other subjects once full-time study commences.

Just an idea I have been pondering recently and would love to hear some thoughts on it, especially if anyone has gone down this avenue, did they feel it helped etc..

Looking forward to your comments,
Brgds,
P206

Cool_Hand
14th Feb 2006, 22:28
You can study for as long as you like any of the subjects before sitting any of the exams.
But as soon as you sit one exam you have two years (stand corrected it seems to 18 months) to complete all 14 or you lose them all. You're also only allowed six visits to the exam centre in that time and four attempts at any one of the papers.
I could be wrong it's been a couple of years since I sat mine. But the gist is you have two years (again 18 months) from first sitting of any exam to the last sitting of the final exam.

EGCC4284
14th Feb 2006, 22:35
But the gist is you have two years from first sitting of any exam to the last sitting of the final exam.

I think it's 18 months?? and not 2 years

dontpressthat
14th Feb 2006, 22:39
Im pretty sure its 18 months from date of first pass to complete all 14.
A mate of mine just lost out as he ran out of time.
If that happens I believe you can now sign up with a recognised FTO and do 60 (i think) hrs remedial training and retake all 14 sujects although the 18 month rule then comes into play again.

I could be wrong so please no smart remarks if I am.

DPT

paco
15th Feb 2006, 00:21
Cool hand, you are quite right - you can study all you want before the exams, but you have 18 months from the last day of the month in which you sat your first exam

Phil

Leezyjet
15th Feb 2006, 01:12
I was under the impression that it was a CAA requirement that you had to do the course via a recognised course provider, whether that be classroom or home study.

I didn't think you could just go-it-alone.

Could be wrong though !!!.

:}

dontpressthat
15th Feb 2006, 01:23
Leezyjet, As far as i know thats spot on.
Candidates must be put forward for exams by a recognised FTO, be it distance learning, modular or otherwise.
That said, Fto's tend to follow closely any student they represent and I would imagine that anybody taking excessive time on revision/studies would be withdrawn by their respective FTO.

Cool_Hand
15th Feb 2006, 02:31
That is very true, you need the FTO to put you forward but it doesn't stop you getting hold of the materials you want from Pooley's, ebay etc. and give yourself a head start albeit at some expense. Just as much as buying Trevor Thoms books before starting your PPL.

FlyingForFun
15th Feb 2006, 09:41
Is it possible at all to study one at a time in between getting various licences/ add-ons over a period of time.Platinum, I think you are missing the point a little here, and the answers so far, although generally correct, aren't pointing you in the correct direction.

You must complete the study for the written exams by following an approved course, and get a signature from your course provider before you can sit the exams. You can not start the approved course until after your PPL. (There is nothing to stop you buying the material from your favourite pilot shop and studying at home, but you will then have to pay for another set of material when you start your course, and re-study the same subjects again, so I think any benefit from doing this would be minimal.)

You must then complete all the written exams (and yes, there are time constraints on this, but I don't think that's relevant to your question) before you start either your CPL or your IR.

So, to answer your question directly - No. You can NOT study "one at a time in between getting various licences/ add-ons over a period of time".

However, you are able to study at the same time as, before, or after your hour-building. This is about the only flexibility in the timing of the written exams with regards to their position in the modular course.

Hope that's some help.

FFF
--------------

smith
15th Feb 2006, 21:48
No. You can NOT study "one at a time in between getting various licences/ add-ons over a period of time".
No. You can NOT study "one at a time in between getting various licences/ add-ons over a period of time".

If you were to do this it would take you 14 sittings, tha max you are allowed is 6 sitiings, so this is nt an option.

Also you would have to sit the CPL and IR writtn exams, then actually sit the ATPL exams as well. If you do the ATPL exams before the CPL/IR then you don't have to do the CPL/IR theory exams.

Probably best advice s do the exams and licences in the order/fashion that everybody else does them.

Platinum206
15th Feb 2006, 23:11
Thanks for all the replies ghuys, great help, set my mind striaght so on what can be done, what can't, and whats reccomended.

After doing some research into it I thhink the next logical step would be to do some hour building rather than the IR.

I already have my PPL, will probably do about 50hours hour building or so, probably florida-vegas-florida, then ATPL.

After this would I be right in saying the reccomeded route would then be
1. IR
2. CPL
3. MCC

Thanks again guys.

P206

Gordon Bennet
16th Feb 2006, 01:28
Flying For Fun

There is a book that contains the course material for aeroplanes and helicopters, which I used for just this situation - and it only costs 40 drinking vouchers. Try JAR Professional Pilot Studies by Phil Croucher, who I believe is paco. I got mine from Transair.

Gord

fishtits
17th Feb 2006, 13:28
After this would I be right in saying the reccomeded route would then be
1. IR
2. CPL
3. MCC
Thanks again guys.
P206

You need to have 150 total hours (100 PIC) before you can sit your CPL flying exam so the usual route is:

PPL
Hour build to 150 TT + ATPL theory exams
CPL flying exam
ME/IR
MCC
JOC

Do a search on here - there's load of info in previous threads (see the stickys)

Cheers,

FT

Wannabe24
17th Feb 2006, 13:38
It's 100 hours PIC, 150 total time for the CPL.

fishtits
17th Feb 2006, 13:43
It's 100 hours PIC, 150 total time for the CPL.

Thanks dude, I've amended post to suit :-)

Dude~
17th Feb 2006, 15:26
I already have my PPL, will probably do about 50hours hour building or so, probably florida-vegas-florida, then ATPL.

Since you're going the full hog, best get to grips with the terminology!
Admittedly it is all a bit confusing at first but the Air Law exam will clarify eveything...:ugh:

You'll need 1500 hrs for an ATPL - I think you mean the CPL-IR, which when combined with the ATPL theory requirement (ie the 14 exams) can be termed 'Frozen ATPL' though there is no such licence, so you will just have a blue CPL initially.