PDA

View Full Version : Got an email from HR - what does it mean?

Lear70
14th Feb 2006, 13:29
Hello again,

I applied to CX 8 months ago via USPS Mail... didn't hear from them for MONTHS so a few people on here were nice enough to give me some contact numbers, thanks!

Came to find out they never received the application. So I took the copy I had retained and faxed it over last month. It's been about 30 days and I finally received an email back that says:

This is to confirm that we have received your completed application form which will be kept on file.

You will note that the enclosed Application Update Form is personalised by a Personal Reference Number (PRN) which is quoted on the top of this document and is therefore for your use only. You should not pass copies to other applicants. Please quote your PRN in future correspondence with Cathay Pacific.

A further Application Update Form of two (2) pages has been included so that you may provide us with updates approximately every six months, or at any time there has been a significant change to your situation. The Application Update Form should indicate your total current experience and flight hours. You should make A4 size copies of both pages of this form for future use. Updates in any other format cannot be accepted.

Thank you for your continued interest in Cathay Pacific Airways.

Yours sincerely,

Flight Crew Recruitment Group
I know it's better than the dreaded form letter saying, "... we have found applicants that better suit our needs..." (a friend of mine got that one), but does this mean I shouldn't expect an interview offer anytime soon and to update once every six months or have some of you received this email and then received an interview offer a short time later?

Thanks,

mayday911
14th Feb 2006, 15:29
It means two things:

1. You should update every 6 months, but never assume an interview invitation is in your future, and

2. Your email account is functioning properly.

Mayday

Lear70
14th Feb 2006, 16:44
I guess I should clarify.

To anyone who has been in the same boat I am and DID get an interview:

Have you received an interview offer shortly after receiving this email or did it take an update or two (6 months to a year or more) before you received the interview?

Thanks again,

mr ripley
14th Feb 2006, 17:01
8 months after the email I received an invite for interview.

Hedncld
14th Feb 2006, 18:43
Does anyone know how long after the first interview does it take to get the results?? Also how do they notify the candidate?
Thanks

Mink
14th Feb 2006, 20:05
I got the same email about 2 weeks after mailing mine in. I took it to mean my info is in line with the rest of 'em - a very long line, I'm sure.:hmm:

Mink

Kane Toed
14th Feb 2006, 21:19
how long after the first interview does it take to get the results??Between a week and two weeks, depending on when in the interview cycle you were seen.how do they notify the candidate?They normally tell you to ring on a certain day (the Friday a week following the end of the interview blocks by memory). Sometimes you get rung before hand - but it does not mean that you have not been successful if they haven't rung you, so don't panic!

404 Titan
14th Feb 2006, 22:37
Lear70

That is the standard letter sent out to all applicants that meet CX's interview criteria.

bell1st
14th Feb 2006, 23:30
My experience - sent an update about 4 months after the application (closing in on the 1000 hr PIC hurdle). Received a call about 1 month later for an upcoming interview (Feb "05 - 6 weeks later). 1 week later asked (via phone) to provide more medical info. Faxed the medical 1week later (now mid March). 2 days later told I was successful. Mid April invited to Hong Kong at End May. 3 days after return from Hong Kong again asked for more medical info. Faxed that over and a few days after that (early June) told I was successful. Start as DEFO April 2006. As for the 2nd interview, I was the oldest and least experienced candidate, but one of the few (3 of 10, I think) to be accepted. If you want it, keep trying. Keep sending the updates every 6 months or when something changes. Keep yourself well prepared because you may not have a lot of time from the time you get the call until the interview. If I can do it, anyone can.

rduarte
15th Feb 2006, 00:07
The first time I apply for cx was at the end of 2001, I received the same letter. I updated my form a couple of time,but never as been asked for a interview, and now I am F/O on the L-1011 with 1300 jet time and 2300 total time , ATPL-A JAA
:confused:

jetset
15th Feb 2006, 04:17
Congrats on the start date Bell1st.

I am still waiting for a date, was there about that time too.

Cheers

jetset

Lear70
15th Feb 2006, 09:52
Lear70
That is the standard letter sent out to all applicants that meet CX's interview criteria.
That's what I figured, just wanted to see what other's experiences have been lately in timeline.

Thanks for the replies! I'm just excited to have heard anything at all and irritated at the post office for losing my app and losing 8 months on the "competition". ;)

Mink
16th Feb 2006, 01:45
Bell1st,
Congrats on the job! Can you give a little insight on a few things:

1. What did you study (the usual reading list or something in particular that you found especially useful?
2. How was the sim? Did you do sim prep? If so, was it as "required" as everyone seems to think? What part of the sim was the toughest?
3. Any other stuff that was not in line what's already been put forth in these forums?

Being one of 3 out of 10 applicants to make the cut, just wondering what the "deciding factor" might have been in your case.

Thanks - and again, congratualtions.:ok:

Mink

petitfromage
16th Feb 2006, 04:07
After receiving the "standard letter" it really behoves you, the applicant, to update your hours every 4-6mths.
In todays dynamic market you may want to update every 3-4mths.
Because the system is computerised, the staff can readily check how often youve updated......and the more updates is rather indicative of how interested you are in CX!

If you feel youve been looked over, lost or havent heard from CX after youve updated your hours (they will send you an email acknowledging your update) then do something about it!

Claire, Carol & Kelly are very amiable people. They would welcome your call and be very frank with you as to where you currently stand.

If phoning out of the blue worrys you, then drop them an email and ask if its OK to phone at another time.

Other people are being proactive...........think about that.

WaldoPepper
16th Feb 2006, 13:32
Lear70,

A lot will depend on your experience level and what they are looking for at the time.

If you've submitted your application, and it is the absolute minimum required, then it might take years to get an interview if they are currently looking at candidates with 5000 hrs. If the first time you submit, you have 5000 hrs, then you might get the interview within weeks of applying.

It's really quite hard to tell.

Good luck and keep updating. The job is worth it.

WP

Lear70
16th Feb 2006, 21:49
Small Cheese, I will DEFINITELY be updating and probably phoning when I do. You're absolutely right, the squeaky (polite) wheel gets the grease most of the time!

Thanks Waldo, I'm sitting on about 7,000 hours total time, 727 command experience (121 freight) and 5 years of CRJ (EFIS, FMS) command time since my previous employer went out of business, about 4,000 PIC Jet, so I hope to hear back from them sometime this year to hopefully be in class sometime early next year!

Lots of studying to do, I really need to find a copy of FTBJ somewhere and start hashing on the 747 specifics...

Good luck to everyone!

WaldoPepper
17th Feb 2006, 00:38
Lear70, You've got heaps of experience and I guess you'd be applying for the DEFO rather than DESO position.

In my case, sqeaky door worked well in the end. I was interviewed in 2000 and was not successful in the first round. I wrote to them saying that even though I was very dissapointed, it didn't reduce my desire to work for them. I updated every 3-4 months until 2004 when I came to HK for a visit and phoned them when I arrived. They set up a meeting the next day where my girlfriend (at the time) came with me. We had a great chat for about an hour.

She commented on how big the file was on me, and that she was impressed I had kept writing all these years.

Returned home…3 weeks later, a call for an interview…2 weeks after that a call for the second interview…and after that…we're living in HK now. All within a matter of months.

As advice given in the posts above. If you really want the job you have go that little bit extra to set yourself apart from the thousands who are applying. Come to HK and ask to speak to them in person, they are more than happy. They will be impressed that you've come all the way here to look at the country that one day you be living in.

Good luck

WP

P.S. And get your hands on "Handling the big jets" not "Flying the big jets". They are 2 different books and the interview is aimed at HTBJ by Davies.