PDA

View Full Version : Freeview SAR

Nov71
14th Feb 2006, 12:10
Another Freeview digibox (Wembury, Plymouth) has emitted a signal on SAR frequency. It was picked up by RAF Kinloss who alerted the Devon Coastguard & 2 lifeboats were launched. The 67 year-old owner was 'suprised'
She would have been if a big chopper had landed in her back garden!
Source - Ceefax

Fargoo
14th Feb 2006, 13:29
Something needs doing quickly with these boxes. They're supposed to be receivers not transmitters.
This is the second one i've heard of , wouldn't like to think resources are being diverted away from a real emergency just because of cheap unshielded compenents.
I'm sure there's some regulatory body that tests emiissions on electronics goods isn't there?

Basil
14th Feb 2006, 13:57
<<The 67 year-old owner was 'suprised'
She would have been if a big chopper had landed in her back garden!>>

Shush Nov21! Now they'll all want one:D :D

Lots of devices transmit - remember the old superhet wireless receivers had an oscillator feeding into the IF stage and not only could that be picked up but the snoopers could tell what freq yer radio was tuned to - bad news a few years ago if you lived in Europe and the kids had inadvertently tuned into the BBC :ooh:
My PC interferes with a nearby radio and my cellphone interferes with the PC and don't get me started about that #$%ing arcing CH thermostat :*

Swedish Steve
14th Feb 2006, 17:34
When I am standing in the jetty at ARN with the aircraft doors closed, the pilots transmissions on VHF1 come out loud and clear on the Intercom in the gate house!