PDA

View Full Version : External Drive on USB

Cornish Jack
14th Feb 2006, 11:12
Recently bought a couple of drives and wanted to check/format them before installation. Popped them into an external 'high-speed' (I understand this is NOT the same as USB2) drive unit.
Plugging into a USB 2 port produces a 'New Hardware detected' sequence and 'your hardware is installed and ready for use' message. However, checking on My Computer or Windows Explorer does not show the new drive.
Plugging into a standard USB port does much the same plus the warning that a high speed device is plugged into a low speed port and will operate at reduced speed - still no drive appears. Device manager shows the drive manufacturer etc on the Disk Drive tab but it doesn't allow any access.
Any thoughts as to how I can get access, please?
AMD 64, 1 Gb RAM. XP Prof, Belkin USB 2 external port from a Belkin PCI card.

TIA

frostbite
14th Feb 2006, 11:58
Just guessing - perhaps a reboot and see if it's there?

Jhieminga
14th Feb 2006, 14:15
A reboot might help, although it shouldn't be necessary with XP. Something else to look at is the power supply, some external caddies need an extra adapter plugged in. If there is no provision for this then make sure it is plugged into a USB port on the mainboard itself, not through a hub. If this doesn't work, then in a way you might be answering your own question of whether it works or not. With an external USB drive the computer needs to install two things: the drive itself, and the USB to IDE interface which is in the external case. It looks like the interface is working, and it is seeing the drive, but perhaps the drive isn't spinning up properly and that's why it isn't useable.

The best way to test a drive is still to connect it to an IDE cable. That way you eliminate any possible conflicts with the IDE/USB interface, power supply etc.

Cornish Jack
14th Feb 2006, 15:35
Thanks chaps.
No, the reboot doesn't do it and I've just tried updating the USB 2 driver for the MoBo - still no joy..... aint pooters fun!:{

maxell
14th Feb 2006, 15:48
Is it hiding under removable storage, try right click my computer then manage, see if its available under disk management or removable storage

Cornish Jack
14th Feb 2006, 16:44
Thanks Maxell - tried that previously and could see the drive details i.e. Seagate and model number but it wouldn't register as a drive letter in Windows Explorer or My Computer.
HOWEVER, a little flash of inspiration :8 Partition Magic!! PM saw the drive, allowed selection and FORMATTING !! Sorted! ... well, as much sorted as anything is in Windows.
Anyway, thanks to all of you for the suggestions .... 'til the next problem:ugh:

BOAC
14th Feb 2006, 17:29
Glad it is sorted! Could it be as simple as the drive letters 'available' did not go far enough?

Cornish Jack
14th Feb 2006, 18:08
Thanks BOAC
That sounds like the 'last drive letter' problem, but I thought that was a W98 (and previous) problem. Understood the marvellous all-singing and dancing XP didn't trouble its users with such things. Anyway, PM offered an appropriate sequenced letter and it appears as normal.
Sort of 'on-topic' - anyone out there have any experience with USB2 cardbus add-ons in laptops. I understand that they are 32 bit as distinct from the pcmcia 16bit. Looking to get a 2 port cardbus for the Dell Inspiron (tech spec says it supports 32 bit) and would appreciate any experiences.
Again TIA

Hew Jaz
15th Feb 2006, 14:47
Sry, only see thread now. No help with laptop cards - only a (late) suggestion for the drive problem which may be of help to other users.

It's possible that the drive wasn't initialised. Right click on / my computer / manage / disk management etc

The drive should then show up under my computer and be accessable for formatting etc