PDA

View Full Version : Nerves!

Aviatah
14th Feb 2006, 10:28
I've got my physchometric test tomorrow for ATC. Nerves have kicked in, but I'm going to give it a go. Got to travel 3 hours by various public transport services to get there! :hmm: I'd do anything for aviation though ;)

Are there any tips you guys can lend for a fellow pprune.org'er :(

What conversion rates should I know etc.

Cheers.

Farrell
14th Feb 2006, 10:52
Oh my GOD!
If you have to ask questions about conversions at this stage then you are well and truly screwed my friend.
The tests are actually done as a group test so you get asked questions as part of a pack of ten or so other candidates and you get to 'say your piece' so to speak.

There is also the presentation part of the exam where a scenario is given (five aircraft in a hold usually) and you give a demonstration in front of the group about how you would cater for an additional three aircraft being transferred from your neighbour's radar screen following a malfunction.

Finally, there is the 'letters / numbers' test. They give you a series of numbers starting at about nine digits and moving gradually up to twenty where they state the number/ letter sequence (for example 087UH54GRD6547YH) and you repeat it back. All to test your mental capacity. You should be aiming for about the 18 mark.

Easy enough really.......

Ahhhhh no mate, just winding you up - haven't got a clue about the test........ but am sure you feel a bit more relieved now.

With regards to nerves it's like making a speech - they usually disappear when you step up on the podium.

Just concentrate on the fact that this is your dream - it is not to be feared - it is to be embraced.

Someday, you'll look back on this test and smile to yourself as you give a vector to some A340 passing through your section of airspace.

Good luck to you!

G-CPTN
14th Feb 2006, 11:03
Are there any tips you guys can lend for a fellow pprune.org'er :(

Computer says no . . .

Lon More
14th Feb 2006, 11:23
Farrell, jeezus, you had me worried there, I probably wouldn't have made it past five. Good thing I'm retired.
Aviatah, you should have tried the ATC forum if you wanted a serious answer. Read the threads there if it's not too late and good luck

Binoculars
14th Feb 2006, 13:03
G-CPTN, is there ANY thread you don't feel qualified to post to? :hmm:

G-CPTN
14th Feb 2006, 13:13
AFAICT this is Jet Blast, and the Thread Subject is 'Nerves'.
Just what 'qualification' does one need?
I know a business in Taipei that can reproduce ANY packaging or documents so faithfully that one would be hard-pushed to tell the difference.

(Actually the smart guy running that business traded under the name of 'Genuine Parts'. Always fit Genuine Parts . . . )

Farrell didn't exactly come clean, did he? . . .

Farrell
14th Feb 2006, 14:16
You leave me out of this you old codger! ;)

acbus1
14th Feb 2006, 14:19
Nerves have kicked in, but I'm going to give it a go. Got to travel 3 hours by various public transport services to get there!
No need to be that nervous! I think public transport is safe enough. ;)

got caught
14th Feb 2006, 14:49
Try and stick to the truth, as the examination design will have a mechanism for testing your honesty. (They will probably ask simillar questions, slightly differently, throughout the test.)

Are any past papers available ?

Jerricho
14th Feb 2006, 14:57
If Australia is still using the Saville and Holdsworth tests, you're in for some fun ;) My tip, don't dwell on any particular question. If you get stuck, just leave it and continue. And don't try and bullshit the personality test, answer honestly.

Let us know how you get on there Avaitah.

Aviatah
15th Feb 2006, 10:19
All good, got up at 3am, and got home about 7:45pm.

Pretty happy with the tests, except one, tiredness kicked in, and then I got my second boost of enegery for the last test which was a fake air traffic control screen controlling the planes.

I got 100% got all them maggots into their gates almost perfectly! I want a copy of that game :)

Binoculars
15th Feb 2006, 10:33
Me too. Can't remember ever achieving it in real life. :uhoh:

Love to be able to offer assistance, but when I started the word psychometric hadn't been invented and human resources were called staff. Bloody good controllers they churned out in those days too. :}

I'll just head back to Jurassic Park for dinner now.

Desert Whine
15th Feb 2006, 11:09
Ah, G-CPTN. I find your contributions quite a useful alternative to a lot of the posts.

Unfortunately it seems to get a little clique-y around here at times. Some grumpy old farts seem to think you need to have a few years on your join date to be part of the scene...

Keep at it, old-timer, Homer would be proud.

PS That's MY line....!!

Jerricho
15th Feb 2006, 12:07
but when I started the word psychometric hadn't been invented

Neither had the dictionary or jet engines........ :p

Binoculars
15th Feb 2006, 12:23
You're thinking of your father. I'm an embryo compared to him. They had electricity and everything in the college when I was there. And a Frogger machine in the pub next door, of which, I might add I became course champion, in what was to be a rare highlight of my career.

G-CPTN
15th Feb 2006, 13:44
Unfortunately it seems to get a little clique-y around here at times. Some grumpy old farts seem to think you need to have a few years on your join date to be part of the scene...

Ah! but I CHANGED my ID (and couldn't transfer my 'joining date').
You might be right though. I left one of the other PPRuNe forums as the pros were constantly arguing about who had more hours on type than each other rather than contribute intelligently about technical matters, and if you didn't have a string of types your contribution was belittled, even if it was common sense. My working career was spent in investigating and analysing the unknown (in a technical engineering environment) where lateral thinking and considering the improbable frequently lead to a solution. The answer wasn't often 'in the manual' (largely because the manuals hadn't yet been written).

A sense of humour was also a worthwhile attribute in adversity.

Marvin the Robot
15th Feb 2006, 14:25
it seems to get a little clique-y around here at times
Totally agree with all of that.

Well.......

......except for "it seems".

......and "to get a little".

......and "at times".

:rolleyes:

Lon More
15th Feb 2006, 14:30
Neither had the dictionary or jet engines........
Newbies strike again, I remember saying to Orville and Wilbur, "It'll never get off the ground ...."

ORAC
15th Feb 2006, 14:37
When I started we had Mullard trainers and T64 consoles..... :ooh:

G-CPTN
15th Feb 2006, 14:44
When I started we had Mullard trainers and T64 consoles..... :ooh:

Were they more comfortable than NIKE?
T64 - Tandy 64? ie 64KB.

WE had LINK (and not for ATMs).
http://www.starksravings.com/linktrainer/linktrainer.htm
http://www.linktrainers.com/
http://www.mapsairmuseum.org/linktrainer.htm

Desert Whine
15th Feb 2006, 15:20
so you gonna tell us who you used to be in your previous life, then CPTN.....?

;)

G-CPTN
15th Feb 2006, 15:23
Nope!
If I did I'd have to kill you . . .

Gouabafla
15th Feb 2006, 15:32
When I started we had Mullard trainers and T64 consoles
You taught ducks to fly?.....

Lon More
15th Feb 2006, 16:44
When I started we had Mullard trainers and T64 consoles.....
Before moving to ATC I sent Icarus on his first solo