PDA

View Full Version : US Green card and working in ME

metro301
14th Feb 2006, 05:19
I am starting a job with Saudia soon. I am in the US on a "green card", wife and kid are American. I was talking to a US immigration lawyer and he said that I have to apply for a re-entry permit to get back into the states. I explained that I would most likely be coming back a few times a year and would not be gone for a stretch longer than 6 months at a time.

Eventually he said I would have to voluntarily give up my US status. Not a big deal as I can get it back down the road, but I would just have to jump through all the hoops again.

Is there any one else out there with a similiar situation?

mutt
14th Feb 2006, 12:48
Does it get you away from paying US tax??

Mutt

Nevrekar
14th Feb 2006, 13:04
I am sure a lot has changed since 9/11. However as far as I know with a green card you have to come to the states at least once a year. When I was in Saudi years ago there was a French National (Green Card holder) with an American wife. He didn't have any problems. My wife also know some folks from India who have a green card and visit once a year to keep it current if you will. They don't seem to have any problems at all. They have been doing this for the last 20 odd years.

metro301
14th Feb 2006, 20:10
Thanks for the insight!

Mutt, If I give it up, I do get out of having to even file taxes in the US. From what I have read so far they are actually pretty generous with the Foreign income credits though. $80,000 a year is exempt.