PDA

View Full Version : mustering/instructors/flying in australia???

copterin
14th Feb 2006, 02:31
hey there pplz i am currently finishing off my cpl(heli) training in new zealand and as so am looking to find myself employment. My plan at the present is to cross the ditch and try find employment in australia I am not fussed at what i do and relise being a hanger boy probleys the most likely bet! But am looking at the different options available and need some advice. I thought i may do my instructors but cant really see myself teaching although it is a good way to build hours, other options im thinking about are maybe doing heli mustering in the outbac or justgoing backpacking and approaching companys and tryin to find employment.
Does anyone have any advice on any of these options??or any recomendations?? any help is much appreciated.

Thanx
Ross

deeper
14th Feb 2006, 02:45
Hi copterin,

That is great mate. Come on over, we need lots more inexperienced flying instructors over here that just need to build hours.

I suppose that is the same attitude that your instructor had. not.

You have so much to give to this industry i am sure you will be welcomed with open arms.:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :p

212man
14th Feb 2006, 03:11
I should go back to school before you try anything else!:mad:

bladebanger
14th Feb 2006, 03:19
copterin,
stay on your side of the ditch. As the 2 previous posts said we are in need of low hour instructors just to build hours. Stay where you are please.

banger

Heli-kiwi
14th Feb 2006, 03:30
Hi copterin,

That is great mate. Come on over, we need lots more inexperienced flying instructors over here that just need to build hours.

I suppose that is the same attitude that your instructor had. not.

You have so much to give to this industry i am sure you will be welcomed with open arms.:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :p

Geez Deeper! Go easy on the guy:{ , Hes just like 50000 others out there who are just trying to get a start and will look at anything to get going - I'm sure that with your perfect attitude you just waltzed on in to your first (dream) job no worries.................Surely you must remember the choices that were available to you when you were a new skin?:=

bomb
14th Feb 2006, 04:16
Copterin,

Ignore those first 3 posts.Those guys are obviously worried that you will succeed where they didn't.
Do what you need to do to get a start. I am sure you have herd the saying, "nice guys get nowhere"
Unless you are prepared to be passionate about instructing then dont do it.
My suggestion is to come over here with an R22/R44 endorsement and head up north during the winter.'

Be aware however that it may take some time to get your licence converted as the security checks that you have to go through are quite lenghty. Sometimes up to a 2 month or more waiting list.

Good luck

Bomb

212man
14th Feb 2006, 04:31
"Those guys are obviously worried that you will succeed where they didn't.
"

Yep; I often wonder "where did it all go wrong?":bored:

Gas Producer
14th Feb 2006, 04:39
Copterin,

Don't let the others get you down. I will say, however, that your original post could have been less lacking in tact.

You have chosen a tough trade in which to get a start, my boy, but it's not impossible. Your ideas will probably be tough ones to follow - mustering, instructing, etc - look at the responses you've got so far. You may well be better placed working in any way you can with the flying school that taught you to to fly. Learn a few things they don't teach you pre cpl flight test and maybe get an hour here and an hour there. Remember, they KNOW you and NO one else does. Nor does anyone else probably care whether they know you or not. What's going to make someone notice you over anybody else?

If you arrive in the great land of the green and the gold with a brand new cpl(h) and nothing else you'll be just the same as every other brand new cpl(h). Worse still for you is that you're not any Aussie. This will make it even harder. In fact, your a Kiwi - goodness gracious.

Now I've got nothing against anyone, really. As far as I'm concerned, we all bleed red. I'm just trying to help you understand the sentiments and potential reactions of some of the folks you may come across regardless of background or present location.

If you really wish to pursue instruction, by all means, but do it for the right reasons. And make it easy on yourself . . . far easier to get a c-cat rating in NZ than an initial issue Grade II in Aus. Only 150 hours PIC.

Now, I'm in NZ with a little over 2,000 hours of experience gained in Aus. I'm not working yet. And it's not from lack of trying. My hinges are squeaking. The reality is that operators can't just invent jobs . . . they have parameters and constraints imposed on them by business generally and regulators specifically. My learning from this is that I need to be squeaky, but patient. The 'right place at the right time' is the reality. It's absolutely true. There are no real short cuts - just perceived ones that fit into the 'right place at the right time' scenarios.

Be in the place where you want to fly, you'll never get a job when you're still low time by remote control. You have to be there. Think about NZ, though. Opportunities do arise, and developing some safe habits in and around mountainous terrain early on in your career will only be of benefit. This particular opportunity is definitely not available in Aus.

Tell you what, you find me a job in NZ and I'll do my best to find you one in Aus. Now, how hard can that be?

Good luck. Keep at it.

GP

Unhinged
14th Feb 2006, 10:25
I thought i may do my instructors but cant really see myself teaching although it is a good way to build hours

I'm sure you've already checked the Regs, but don't forget that in Oz you'll need 400 hours to get a helicopter instructor rating. Bit of work to do before then for most new CPLs ...

strickers
14th Feb 2006, 12:28
hey don't give up but ignore the initial replys. Get a look at the stats - unfortunately I don't have them to hand to give to you. Just finished a Robinson Safety Course and if I remember correctly the proportion of machines to pilots give you better odds in NZ than over here. Good luck and research your market before you do anything that will cost you money you could have saved with good research.