PDA

View Full Version : Jet co-pilot salaries

red8
13th Feb 2006, 18:29
Just for kicks...

1) What do cojo's get for flying jets round SA and into Africa? (based in RSA)

2) Would you rather make money flying contract or have a cushy jet job and get paid peanuts?

:hmm:

nugpot
13th Feb 2006, 19:41
Would you rather make money flying contract or have a cushy jet job and get paid peanuts?

You'll have to tell us what you currently earn, because if you take home less than R20K per month, EVERY month, you are losing out to the FO's at at least 3 SA airlines.

Romeo E.T.
13th Feb 2006, 20:27
Less than 20K per month......can only be Nationwide?

Margarita
14th Feb 2006, 02:31
What it is in these salary questions? One never get a straight answer. Are pilots too shame to tell ?

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Feb 2006, 04:51
Right now I'm prepared to exchange body parts for a right seat in a jet.:(

Anti-Skid Inop
14th Feb 2006, 05:15
Hey Romeo,

Depends what fleet you're on in Nationwide. If it's the 73 or 72 then yes to your statement.

The 76 is a different story! Still not enough though compared to other International operators.::(

Hope this sheds some light on the subject

beechbum
14th Feb 2006, 06:11
I think that only the National carriers' F/O's TAKE HOME more than 20K a month....oh yes I think the other one is 1 Time. That's it I think!!!!!!!!!!

jon doe
14th Feb 2006, 07:13
Do not even think of contracts, the money you get now for the time away from friends and family do not break even anymore.
10K is what you get paid to be away. Contracts used to be good, but now, its better money flying props back home, far better.
But its a job, better than nothing.
PS. Maybe "AFRIVATION" reads this and will be happy with his cushy job.

nugpot
14th Feb 2006, 11:33
beechbum - you're misinformed.

I'm not going to post salary scales here, but if 1Time FO's take home more than R20k per month, that'll make 4 airlines.

beechbum
14th Feb 2006, 13:05
Unless some one else can verify....
1. SAA F/O - >20K/month
2. Comair - <20k/month
3. SA Airlink - <20k/month
4. SA Express - ?
5. Nationwide 72/73 - <20k/month
6. 1 Time - >20k/month
There you go nugpot and I can vouch for 5 out of the 6...........

nugpot
14th Feb 2006, 18:51
OK, maybe we are talking at cross-purposes.

Starting salaries are one thing. At all the airlines you will probably not clear R20K when you start (although you would be very close if you have an ATP and include flight pay). But we are talking about jet FO salaries in general. I have access to the scales of various airlines (excluding 1Time), and I can vouch that at three of the airlines in SA, FO's can take home more than R20k per month.

In fact, if you have an ATP, you will take home >R20k/month within 3 years of joining at all three.

red8
15th Feb 2006, 15:08
You'll have to tell us what you currently earn, because if you take home less than R20K per month, EVERY month, you are losing out to the FO's at at least 3 SA airlines.

Our cojos earn between 12-18k a month. I guess that is not really in the peanut category, but still one always wonders if the grass IS greener....

phydeaux
15th Feb 2006, 15:35
The only reason why the grass is greener is because there is more S:mad:t on the other side of the fence.

Boeing Rules
20th Feb 2006, 12:27
Now that's true and it works like that in most companies.

Airforce1
20th Feb 2006, 15:22
Hey chaps, when you talk about 20k a month-are you referring to your salary before tax and excl benefits or after?, the reason why I ask because the contract boys working overseas pay minimal tax-so is this rather relevant in response to red8's original question.Nugpot are you talking clearing salarys?
Also for example to take into consideration, 1Time boys get more cash but less benefits than for example a COMAIR lad don't they?
How much do the hairdryers at home all walk away with at the end of the month?, before we contract boys start cutting wrists above the equator......:rolleye

nugpot
20th Feb 2006, 17:17
Money in the bank Airforce1. After tax, medical, group life, pension. Excluding drafting/EFP for those that get it.

Obviously, we are not talking starting salaries here, but just FO's in general.

FuelFlow
21st Feb 2006, 10:48
Hey BeechBum. Tell us all what you Comair pilots really earn. If nugpot is correct, which I doubt, I must start looking for a new job. R20K, but what do you get for that!! I know that 1 Time might get a tad over 20 but nothing else. They might still have to pay their 42% back to the gopvernment as I believe there is a bit of dodgy moves going on there!

beechbum
21st Feb 2006, 12:27
Fuelflow my boy......that would be telling!!!I definitely know not as much as you fellows do. Now that you know where I am.....all has been revealed. Tried to keep it as quiet as possible for a very long time. Oh well!!!!
I think a job at Skygod palace is the answer as that's where the big bucks are!!!!
As for Topgun he has some valid numbers I think.......!!!!

nugpot
21st Feb 2006, 14:57
Thanks for the vote of confidence Mubhceeb. :)

FF, I have the facts to support my statements. Obviously I cannot post salary scales on this forum. PM me if you are really that curious.

nugs

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Feb 2006, 17:15
Beechbum, how did you manage it? Finally get the SR71 command and three lunar landings under your belt then?:E :ok:

Still working on the shuttle hours myself....:ugh:

Shrike200
21st Feb 2006, 18:49
Dude, it's winglet time that counts, I'm telling you....

johnny_18
28th Feb 2006, 01:12
Sounds like working with Nationwide could be quite fun, from some of your comments a trial, but good times too I'm sure.
I will shortly be completing course B737-400 and am looking to convert back from ATPL JAR FCL-1 to SA CAA.
How does one go about this, and is it still possible to self-sponsor a type rating and join Nationwide on domestic routes?
Does anyone have an email address of the Chief Pilot, Head of Operations or Human Resources... as the online application and CV upload doesn't seem to work.
How does one go about this, and is it still possible to self-sponsor a type rating and join Nationwide on domestic routes?

[email protected]

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Feb 2006, 06:47
NW is currently a little on the fat side with crew and aren't taking any new crew members for a while. They might be tempted if you sponsor your own type rating, though...:hmm:

I don't think the three freebies from CAA helped the situation for those of us out there looking for jobs.:(

Shrike200
1st Mar 2006, 18:48
as the online application and CV upload doesn't seem to work.

Those are just there to give you the illusion of hope....:E :E

And yes, NW have taken plenty of FO's recently....a little too many apparently.

Deskjocky
2nd Mar 2006, 08:02
And yes, NW have taken plenty of FO's recently....a little too many apparently.

I heard some of the new FO's were not offered employment contracts upon completion of their courses and were instead offered a kind of extension to their training contract- if they didnt like it then they could just lump it.

Seems this is VB's new game plan to get cheaper pilots- he keeps them on a training salary for months while they still fly for him.

Question here is does the training salary get added to your training bond once you get the much coveted employment contract? if so then these poor guys and gals are effectivley flying for free!

What do the rest of the pilots at CE feel about this??

gb346
11th Mar 2006, 14:36
nugpot seems to be right on the money - excuse the pun - with regard to the salaries.
question is - how do SA salaries compare to the overseas co-jo's at an average domestic/regional airline?????
Seems to be a lot of potential in the middle east and far east for better prospects.

nugpot
11th Mar 2006, 18:08
question is - how do SA salaries compare to the overseas co-jo's at an average domestic/regional airline?????
Seems to be a lot of potential in the middle east and far east for better prospects.

You will have to compare cost of living in local currencies, unless you plan to make it there and bring it back.

I still have to be persuaded that I can have my current lifestyle anywhere else in the world on an FO salary.

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Mar 2006, 04:19
Companies like Emirates don't want to know you with less than 1000 hours of jet time so getting in with them is tricky as well. That barrier to entry is a major problem in this business. They don't appear too keen on ex contract guys either, preferring airline/charter experience, but I think that goes for the whole industry...:(

Blah Blah Fishpaste
15th Mar 2006, 06:52
That 20k plus only buys you about 8 to 10 days off a month. The rest of the time is poling and dealing with bad rosters, crap management and airforce mentality.

Its "welcome to the land of private little kingdom and play grounds" once you are in, so best guy yourself a gimp outfit and get used to being shafted!

but aleast it jet time.....:*

nugpot
15th Mar 2006, 10:20
That 20k plus only buys you about 8 to 10 days off a month.

30 days leave plus 110 days off per year. How much time do you think a pilot should have off then?

How about the days where you do ELS nightstop where you sign on at 1700, single leg to ELS, nightstop, single leg back next morning and signed off by 0800.

Yep, its a really tough life.

Blah Blah Fishpaste
15th Mar 2006, 12:15
That does sound very cushy....everyday is it? ......where do i sign up?

I guess its true what they say about the grass on the other side looking greener, its just our drive to always want the best for ourselves that makes us look elsewhere for better things.
Will you ever be happy? Well thats a whole different thread....:cool:

Solid Rust Twotter
15th Mar 2006, 12:15
I don't mind. Where do I sign...?

Blah Blah Fishpaste
15th Mar 2006, 13:44
If you have 1200 hrs and are available, they will take you now, i hear they are hiring and expanding snd dont give you chance to work your notice, so if you can get to them quick, you got a good chance.:eek:

Ibanez
20th May 2006, 08:18
Anybody know the exact figures of take-home pay for an FO at SAA??

FlingWingKing
20th May 2006, 12:17
About 40% less than international average..........

Shrike200
20th May 2006, 13:04
In the SA aviation scene, I don't think any of the companies management gives two hoots about what the international average is. If I had the lack of empathy required to be a manager I wouldn't either - it just doesn't make business sense to pay people more than you can already get them for. Luckily SAA seems to have killer union representation, unlike some others.

DIVESAILFLY
21st May 2006, 13:43
Anybody know the exact figures of take-home pay for an FO at SAA??

At what stage of an FO's career do you mean? Remember you're an FO for about 12 to 15 years!!

Contracts are fun - the parties, the low-level flying, the NGO's, but unless you want to be a 55 year old living in a tenet in Saurimo then maybe sacrifice salary for a few years and get into one of the big plyers.

Fly safe, bitch less and life's great.

:}

4granted
25th May 2006, 12:09
Experienced jet co joe on contract: US$ 40,000 per anum.

no retainer
no medical
no 13th cheque
no pension
no sim training

Enjoy
:D