PDA

View Full Version : Gas Laws

BOZZATO
13th Feb 2006, 17:45
Hi there!

I was just wondering if someone out there in pprune land can enlighten me on the afforementioned subject?

I am commencing an integrated course at Oxford in March and keep reading that it's essential to have a good foundation knowledge regarding gas laws:confused:

I'm in the process of revising my GCSE Physics and don't seem to have any information regarding gas laws. I was therefore hoping that you guys and girls could shed some light on this subject for me:E

Regards

Bozzato:ok:

helicopter-redeye
13th Feb 2006, 19:29
Might be good for 2 or 3 questions in Human Performance & Limitations but beyond that cannot think where else questions come up.

Can be summarised on one sheet of A4 (I recall from the notes)

(NB 2 or 3 max in one paper of the fourteen)

h-r;)

Re-Heat
13th Feb 2006, 19:43
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/boyle.html

Google and thou shalt learn

BOZZATO
13th Feb 2006, 20:48
Thanks guys!

Very much appreciated!

Regards

Bozzato

paco
14th Feb 2006, 01:02
The gas laws are needed for met as well. In summary:

"Charles' Law states that temperature is directly related to volume. Boyle discovered that pressure is inversely related to it, and Dalton says that the total pressure of a mixture of gases is the same as the sum of the partial pressures of the gases it is made of, which is relevant when it comes to dealing with oxygen. In other words, each gas's pressure contributes a part of the total according to its constituent proportion, because of the constant mixing.

Thus, there are three variables when it comes to gases - pressure, density and temperature, which are all intimately related. For example, if a gas were restrained in a rigid container, increasing the temperature would increase the pressure, and vice versa. If the container were not rigid, the density could vary instead.

Density is directly proportional to pressure and inversely proportional to temperature. As pressure reduces more than temperature does with height, the general trend is for density to decrease with height. At the surface, it increases with latitude, stays constant at 26,000 feet and decreases with latitude above that, so if you want better performance above the tropopause, don’t fly near the Poles!"

Phil

aztec25
14th Feb 2006, 06:32
Not to mention the underlying principles of internal and gas turbine engines!!
Az