PDA

View Full Version : Hell on Earth: Putting CD Collection on iTunes

Dan Bentley
13th Feb 2006, 01:53
Today I started the task that I have been putting off forever....

Importing my CD collection onto iTunes. My eyes are hurting from staring at the window for so long. On top of that, it moves like this:

http://www.uscg.mil/lantarea/iip/pics/glacier.jpg

Buster Hyman
13th Feb 2006, 03:57
Could be worse, you could try downloading an album on a 56k modem!:eek:

Once you get the hang of the iTunes software, it isn't too bad...don't do it all at once.:ok:

Binoculars
13th Feb 2006, 04:04
Sounds odd, Dan. I've been doing a few albums lately and it's completely painless; takes no more than three minutes an album. I did find for some reason I couldn't guess at, that if you select the option to play the CD while importing it seems to move a lot faster, so that's my only suggestion.

BALIX
13th Feb 2006, 08:38
Takes a while but it takes even longer to then transfer it to an ipod with a USB1 connection. :bored:

What I would really like to do, though, is transfer all the stuff from my ipod into itunes. It can be done, apparently, but I've not found out how yet.

Grainger
13th Feb 2006, 08:45
Said it before and I'll say it again. Never use proprietary software.

If you use one of the independents (iRiver and so on), it just appears as an additional hard drive on your computer. Use CD-Ex or FAST to rip your CDs then just copy them across at full USB 2.0 speed. Sorted, and you're not tied in to any digital rights management either. If your player won't let you do this - chuck it in the canal.

No doubt this will get the usual howls of derision from the Apple brainwashed. Triumph of marketing over common sense is all I can say...

Hamrah
13th Feb 2006, 09:29
Something else to be aware of. Many newer CDs, when copied to i-Tunes will be in " Protected AAC Format". This means they will OBLY be palayable either in iTunes, or an iPod. You will NOT be able to convert them to MP3's to use on any other MP3 player. This also applies to any music you buy from-Tunes Music shop.

There is a workaround..but is a bit slow and painful.

H

strafer
13th Feb 2006, 10:16
Balix - google 'ipod copy' or similar. There are plenty of nerds who've written the software you require and will only charge you around $10 for it. Most will have a free demo version too.

Totally invaluble if some bastard burgler nicks your laptop!

BALIX
13th Feb 2006, 10:40
Indeed. Of course the itunes default setting is to synchronise itunes with your ipod, a most annoying feature if you don't want your ipod full of stuff that your daughter likes to put on her ipod via a common itunes folder. I managed to turn that feature off on both our ipods. However, I now have a laptop that I'm preparecd to deposit all my stuff (not hers though ;) ) onto.

Quite why apple do not allow you to transfer from ipod to itunes in a simple drag and drop manner I don't know. I guess it is to appease the music industry by avoiding multiple copies.

Lon More
13th Feb 2006, 15:46
Have just spent some time copying all CD & LP collection to a hard drive using Music Match. It copies at up to 40x.

AeroSpark
13th Feb 2006, 21:44
After hearing about how 'wonderful' Itunes was I decided to plump for a Creative Zen. Best choice I've made in a long time. The Creative Media Source software is superb. Very user friendly, works a bit like windows explorer in that tracks can be dragged and dropped back and forth between player and pc(s). Also has a superb gadget that will automatically find album info and add it to the track files, even if you use a dodgy burnt cd (who me? not likely m'lud:E )

Flap 5
13th Feb 2006, 22:34
Yeah Creative Zen Sleek is much better. Now where did I put it?

Miss World
13th Feb 2006, 22:35
Talking of Ipods I need some help as Ive messed up my music collection.

I had all my original songs on my laptop then I tried to add a few more songs using the itunes software on another PC. I didnt realise that this would wipe all my originals songs.

Now I cant figure how to get all the songs back.

Anyone help?

SyllogismCheck
13th Feb 2006, 22:42
Probably nothing you did wrong but simply the Itunes 'Good Taste Filter' kicking in, Miss W. ;)

Richard Spandit
13th Feb 2006, 23:43
You know that you can drag tracks from iTunes direct to any folder in explorer, so if you have an mp3 player that acts like a removeable hard disk, you can drag straight to there... easier than finding the tracks using Windows Explorer.

To remove the copy protection from iTunes tracks, burn them onto a CD and then rip them with Windows Media Player into .mp3 format... iTunes used to let you rip CDs back into itself but doesn't anymore, as I dicovered recently.

broadreach
13th Feb 2006, 23:58
Spandit has it. I was a bit befuddled with the itunes interface, then found you could drag and drop from Windows Explorer, 170 tunes (from Kazaa days) in a few secs and downloading to the nano was automatic.

Just as long as I don't get any [email protected] from bystanders for the "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" or "Back in the Saddle Again".

Eric
14th Feb 2006, 00:12
I'm really getting into this music ripping, but I'm having a bit of difficulty in copying my 78s onto 45s...I'd be so grateful if anybody could give me a pointer? :oh:

Smack my lady dog up!

Grainger
14th Feb 2006, 07:53
Eric - you need a magnifying glass, a pencil and a very large spool of paper.

Start the 78 playing and watch very carefully with the magnifying glass. Every time the needle wiggles to the left, write a '1' on the paper, and every time it wiggles to the right, put a '0'. Once you've digitised it, you can type all the '1's and '0's into your computer and convert them into an MP3.

Simple really - and although it sounds like a lot of work, it's still quicker than using iTunes !