PDA

View Full Version : Initial Training

UAL320
12th Feb 2006, 19:22
Can anyone tell me just how difficult the initial training is, I realize that it is the 4.5-6months, but with a good attitude and hard work, is it hard to get through? Any idea of the washout rate? Thanks for any insight.

Sqwak7700
20th Feb 2006, 04:38
Hy UAL. First, let me say thanks to all you UAL guys for treating jumpseaters so well. In my previous job in the states I use to ride on UAL to many places, and you guys (as well as your cabin crew) always took good care of the jumpers. Thanks. :)

My training was 4 months long. There is lots of material, but you are aloted plenty of time to soak it all in. It isn't an "extraordinary effort" by any means. I do recommend pacing yourself. It is even more important in this cycle than in others due to the length.

I went on vacation prior to showing up for training, and I didn't prep at all (academically). I think it was the correct way to do things. It gives you a chance to dump prior material and show up fresh and eager. Also, don't get too far ahead during ground school. Just study for the next day, taking it one day at a time.

During LFUS (ie, IOE), learn to filter the barage of comments and criticisms, you'll do well. If you are not thick skinned, use the vacation time to grow some. You'll need it for this portion of training. Don't worry, it isn't anything shocking, just something we are'nt too acustomed to in the states training departments of most major airlines.

I don't know much about the washout rates. None of the guys there that I personally know washed out. Some of my friends had trouble with certain phases, like the line check. One friend took 3 tries to make it and he said they treated very well in the office and where cooperative in helping to get through it. There are the stories of people getting fired, but from what I heard it seems like they worked pretty hard to loose their jobs.

Enjoy HK and have a good time. :}

Night Watch
20th Feb 2006, 22:34
Just got off a UAL A320 from Denver to Vancouver..... After 3 days of trying (Presidents day weekend) to get frm Omaha to Vancouver, I finally made it! CX pilots are not allowed to jumpseat on UA.... dispite talking to the Capt's directly. Not that i blame them as we don't allow them to jumpseat with us.

UAL320.... good luck with the training. It is as easy or as hard as you make it..... don't stress, and have fun and you'll be on the line in no time (although it does take 5-6 months)