PDA

View Full Version : Quotes in posts.

BlueDiamond
12th Feb 2006, 11:50
I've noticed a new trend creeping in lately. People who are responding to someone's post seem to have developed the rather odd procedure of quoting the post (to which they are responding) even if it appears directly above their own. Not only that, the entire post is quoted even if the response relates to only one particular part of it.

So, what's going on? is this some new "nettiquette" we need to be aware of? I can't see the advantage of it really ... I mean, quoting a relevant phrase when you are responding to something from the previous page, or a few posts ago is understandable, but why the whole post and why quote at all when the post is next to your own? 'Tis puzzling. :confused:

I blame the ... who hasn't been blamed lately? ... I know, I blame the Germans!

mcluhan
12th Feb 2006, 11:59
dont blame the germans they take it seriously :eek: :=
blame the russians , they dont know about pprune .... hopefully :D

Jerricho
12th Feb 2006, 12:03
dont blame the germans they take it seriously :eek: :=
blame the russians , they dont know about pprune .... hopefully :D

Yeah they do........ ;)

Marvin the Robot
12th Feb 2006, 12:05
Yeah they do........
No they don't.

Non Normal
12th Feb 2006, 12:05
Yeah they do........
Um, try the inner Mongolians then? Maybe PPRuNe hasn't quite reached there yet... or, has it?!

BlueDiamond
12th Feb 2006, 12:06
Behave yerself, Jer. :rolleyes:

Jerricho
12th Feb 2006, 12:06
*Jerricho resists the obvious temptation as he's trying to be a good boy for once*

tony draper
12th Feb 2006, 12:10
One agrees Madam BD, I questioned this on another website where for some reason entire lengthy posts are copied on to the reply, and the reply itself may just consist of a few words such as
"I agree " or even worse "LOTFLMAO".
:uhoh:

Jerricho
12th Feb 2006, 12:13
Would these be other sites with a prolific use of terms like "owned" and "n00b" and pictures of Japanese children being bitten on the ass by a donkey?

stue
12th Feb 2006, 12:15
Quote:
Yeah they do........
Um, try the inner Mongolians then? Maybe PPRuNe hasn't quite reached there yet... or, has it?!
Pprune has reached everywhere! Even ask the scousers;) Blame them!:p
Fair point though BlueDimond.................Hang on, what have i done above?? DOH!:eek:

Non Normal
12th Feb 2006, 12:16
[serious hat on]There is a perfectly rational explanation for this.

When you are trying to reply, someone else replies above you, and what you post stops making sense. So in order to pre-empt this situation, you quote at least part of the post you are replying to.

I agree that quoting an entire big post is a tad strange, though.[/serious hat off]

Onan the Clumsy
12th Feb 2006, 12:26
non-golfers spare me your irrelevant comments

someties the string in the c&p buffer is the wrong one so the quotes don't refer to anything in any previous posts.

flapsforty
12th Feb 2006, 13:09
It's an irritating practice because it makes threads unreadable and wastes people's time.
So we try and keep it off pprune, and edit to that effect.

Regrettably, the new software has a tool in in (right bottom corner of EVERY Post) that makes it easy for people to do this.

I blame the folks at vBulletin. :8

flowman
12th Feb 2006, 13:18
It's an irritating practice because it makes threads unreadable and wastes people's time.
So we try and keep it off pprune, and edit to that effect.
Regrettably, the new software has a tool in in (right bottom corner of EVERY Post) that makes it easy for people to do this.
I blame the folks at vBulletin. :8

Ooh! So it does. Cool:cool:

Capn Notarious
12th Feb 2006, 13:48
So, what's going on? is this some new "nettiquette"

My verdict is that some like to see a lot of text, with their name above it: Unable to compose and submit many words of their own, to fill this self flattering space. They opt for using a whole lot of other peoples text.

Onan the Clumsy
12th Feb 2006, 14:06
Forget quotes. What I don't like is when people underline things for emphasis. Maybe underlining was a useful thing when we had typewriters, but to me, underlining means there's a link

G-CPTN
12th Feb 2006, 14:07
My opinion (FWIW) is that often threads diverge into conflicting subjects, (as well as folks posting whilst you're composing). You can see several threads where a sub-thread is taking place (often between old adversaries) and one wants to avoid getting embroiled through misinterpretation.
I try to keep the use of the "quote" function to a minimum, but will frequently use it for PART of a previous comment to make it clear to which subject or point I am referring.

It can also reduce the amount of text required to make one's own point.

stue
12th Feb 2006, 14:11
Capn,

Something similar to men like to have a big car and a big tool box so they dont feel inadequate against the rest of the males in the street?? People like to have more text in their post to make them feel adequate against other Ppruners?:ok:

flynverted
12th Feb 2006, 14:24
Forget quotes. What I don't like is when people underline things for emphasis. Maybe underlining was a useful thing when we had typewriters, but to me, underlining means there's a link

Wonder how many others checked to see if it really was a link.
:rolleyes: :confused:

G-CPTN
12th Feb 2006, 14:40
I did (checked to see if it WAS a link).

(Could have used the 'quote' function, but decided not to.)

Gainesy
12th Feb 2006, 15:21

Must say I hadn't noticed that. can't you just get rid of that button Yer Purpleness? The new software appears to be adaptable in many other areas.

flynverted
12th Feb 2006, 15:30
I did (checked to see if it WAS a link).

(Could have used the 'quote' function, but decided not to.)

Whew!! I wasn't the only one.
:E

Maxbert
12th Feb 2006, 15:31
:*

Blast! That's twice in this thread that I've tried to follow a non-existent link! Grrrr!

For your convenience, this post is 100% quote free :ok:

Edited to add "quote", without which the last line would have made no sense whatsoever...

flowman
12th Feb 2006, 16:03
Wonder how many others checked to see if it really was a link.
:rolleyes: :confused:
...and how many tried to see if YOUR link was a link
This could be a long thread. :uhoh:

ThreadBaron
12th Feb 2006, 16:26
This could be a long thread.

May I quote you? Oh...... to late!:E