View Full Version : Practised Forced Landings Without Power

nike
12th Feb 2006, 03:10
Gidday,

The thread on the incident near NZPM had some interesting posts but were starting to head off that thread's topic so with regard to the go-around altitude from a PFL.....

Interpretation of CAR 91.311(c)
Effective Date: This ruling is effective from September 2004

Catchwords: low flying flight instruction and flight examining

Sponsoring area: Personnel Licensing and Aeronautical Services

Issue

The purpose of this bulletin is to state the CAA’s position on the interpretation of CAR
91.311(c) with respect to flight training and examination activity conducted otherwise than
in accordance with the exception to the low flying rule provided in 91.311(d).

Background

The “low flying rule”, CAR 91.311(a), provides as follows:
(a) A pilot-in-command of an aircraft must not operate the aircraft under
VFR—

(1) over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any
open air assembly of persons at a height of less than 1000 feet
above the surface or any obstacle that is within a horizontal radius
of 600 metres from the point immediately below the aircraft; or

(2) over any other area—
(i) at a height of less than 500 feet above the surface; or
(ii) at a height of less than 500 feet above any obstacle, person,
vehicle, vessel, or structure that is within a horizontal radius
of 150 metres from the point immediately below the aircraft;
and

(3) for any operation, at a height less than that required to execute an
emergency landing in the event of engine failure without hazard to
persons or property on the surface.
Exceptions are provided to the rule in CAR 91.311(b), (c) and (d).

(b) Paragraph (a) does not apply to a pilot-in-command of an aircraft—
(1) conducting a take-off or landing; or
(2) conducting a balked landing or discontinued approach; or
(3) taxiing.

(c) Paragraph (a)(2) does not apply to a pilot-in-command of an aircraft if
the bona fide purpose of the flight requires the aircraft to be flown at a
height lower than that prescribed in paragraph (a)(2), but only if—
(1) the flight is performed without hazard to persons or property on
the surface; and
(2) only persons performing an essential function associated with the
flight are carried on the aircraft; and
(3) the aircraft is not flown at a height lower than that required for the
purpose of the flight; and
(4) the horizontal distance that the aircraft is flown from any obstacle,
person, vessel, vehicle, or structure is not less than that necessary
for the purpose of the flight, except that in the case of an
aeroplane, the aeroplane remains outside a horizontal radius of 150
metres from any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure that is not
associated with the operation.

(d) Paragraph (a)(2) does not apply to a pilot-in-command—
(1) who is the holder of, or authorised by the holder of, a current
instructor rating issued under Part 61 and who is conducting flight
training or practice flights consisting of—
(i) simulated engine failure after take-off commencing below
1000 feet above the surface; or
(ii) simulated engine failure commencing above 1000 feet above
the surface provided that descent below 500 feet above the
surface is conducted within a low flying zone in accordance
with 91.131; or
(2) who is the holder of a current instrument rating issued under Part
61 and who is conducting IFR training, testing, or practice flights
under VFR, but only if the pilot-in-command conducts the flight in
accordance with 91.413, 91.423 and 91.425; or
(3) operating an aircraft within a low flying zone in accordance with
91.131; or
(4) operating an aircraft at an aviation event in accordance with

CAA Position
The exceptions to the low flying rule listed in 91.311 are not expressed as applying
exclusively to the situation described in each exception. Accordingly, the rule does not
preclude pilots engaged in flying training activities from relying on the exception in
91.311(c) despite the express reference to flight training in 91.311(d).
Where the bona fide purpose of the flight is dual flight training or during a flight
examination in the exercise forced landings without power which may require an aircraft to
be operated at height lower than that described in 91.311(a)(2), the pilot-in-command may
rely on the exception provided in 91.311(c) as long as the requirements in that rule are
complied with.

I am going back a few years to when this was of interest to me. An important point was to ensure the student appreciated the significance of the exception to the rule and therefore respected the appropriate altitude restriction during solo sorties.
Also, for me it wasn't a case of descending below 500' AGL on every attempt, but having the legal right to do so on the occasion I deemed it necessary and safe was at least one that hadn't been taken away.

6080ft
12th Feb 2006, 03:42
Thanks for posting that NIKE. I made reference to that caa document in a post in the thread about the Midair near PM.

The testing officers are certainly taking FLWOP below 500ft most of the time.

6080ft

nike
13th Feb 2006, 11:05
So anyway....

The point of posting that bulletin was to help some of the guys who seemed a little confused about the legalities of descent below 500' with respect to PFL's and the various references to LFA's that came up in the other thread.

Great to see a clarification like this published. We had many a conversation with CAA, ASL testing guys and others during my stint as an instructor and everyone had a different interpretation. Not what a newbie wanted to hear.

I lost my way a little in reading your posts Indigo Duck, you've got some good points in there, just a big brush at times.
For mine, I appreciate the point of familiarity breeding comtempt, however this and any other perceived issues of repetitive PFL area usage can be overcome. It just requires the right questions to be asked of the student to ensure the process is indeed understood.

In having a 'common' or regularly used PFL area, this can become quite a controlled environment within itself. I found that in the case of the Pokeno area it seemed everyone was keen to co-operate to ensure safety, knowing the higher density of traffic in that area. A case of just getting on with the job.

Just out of curiousity, I didn't follow the AFS crash in the LFA you refer to. Did this happen in the LFA out at the Clevedon river mouth? That LFA used to be isolated to the coastline, ie over the water only. Is this still the case?

Still learning.

Capt. On Heat
17th Feb 2006, 01:53
Not too sure why there was so much confusion in these threads really. Years back in my instructing vintage the "Bona Fide" bit was taken as that. Been utilizing that rule for years. What is more Bona Fide that teaching someone how to survive when the donkey gives up the ghost? Too many instructors are worried about the Joe Public's who have nothing better to do than complain than about teaching somebody how to handle an aeroplane properly.

steinycans
17th Feb 2006, 05:39
L261(?) is over the sea with its southern border following the high-tide line but the area is rather tidal with mudflaps stretching out quite a way.

COH i think its to do with noise pollution also the unwanted administration associated with reports of low flying which is a real shame. When people complain in the training area it might give the complaints from ardmore residents more backing.

a lot of people down there need to find themselves a hobby. i wonder if they consider the effect their complaining has on safety.

6080ft
17th Feb 2006, 21:09
Capt on Heat.

Going below 500 agl on FLWOP really has nothing to do with the instructor being concerned about Joe Public, it is actually their concern about the goons at CAA who tried prosceuting a couple of instructors in 2004.

I know of 3 instances where they pulled the radar plots and the instructors had alot of talking to do to keep the enforcement guys off their backs.

Hence the confusion and reluctance - however if i was ever confronted about it I know exactly what page of Part 91 i'll be waving about!

6080ft

Capt. On Heat
19th Feb 2006, 01:43
Trouble for CAA is that they know less about the rules than most pilots. E.g. I remember an airport users meeting (not NZAR) a few years ago where we had to inform the CAA regional safety officer about some bits of Part 91 that he was ignorant of.

Of course instructors need to be sensible with regard to how the public may perceive FLWOP but most people complaining do not know whether an aircraft is at 100ft or 800ft. I think the rules have always been very clear that it is a Bona Fide reason and CAA's clarification of CAR 91.311(c) only occured because they were so cleary wrong in the case of the 2004 instructors. The other option available to instructors is that provided the FLWOP is commenced below 1000ft (for me 999ft) you can fly as low as is required for the exercise as it is a simulated engine failure AFTER take-off. Now as to where the FLWOP commences-well that is open to interpretation.