PDA

View Full Version : MD11 Accident in KWI

GoForIt
11th Feb 2006, 21:57
Does anyone know what carrier, and have any details? I understand it was a US military charter. World Airways?
GoForIt

akerosid
12th Feb 2006, 05:18
I'm guessing World, purely because I've seen WO MD11s flying troops through Shannon. I can't think of any other airline flying pax MD11s in the US.

It's a hell of a long runway (c.11-12,000') to overrun; can't help wondering if they landed long or had a brake or reverser problem?

apaddyinuk
12th Feb 2006, 12:41
I remember seeing the World MD11 in EI colours leaving Doha just before the second Gulf War broke out, I got all excited thinking that EI were coming in to get me the hell out of there!!! :}

Thud_and_Blunder
16th Feb 2006, 16:12
I can confirm it was a World MD11 which went off 15R early in the morning - I drove past on my way to the Police Flying Wing just as they were offloading the pax. Vis around 1400m; can't remember what the wind was as we didn't fly that day or the next so didn't log ATIS. The incident caused all sorts of mayhem as they had to hurriedly (well, hurriedly for KWI) reopen 15L which was undergoing maint at the time. Our visiting TRE emailed me from the UK having gone back the next day, saying that the skid-marks tell an interesting story.

GoForIt
16th Feb 2006, 18:19
Picked this up on another forum, and I'll just paste it in here (posted 12 Feb):
=========================================

Was there just last night, and yup, it was World. It had been raining there for the last 3 days, and the story we got from our handler was that it was doing a 180 at the end of the runway and the nosewheel skidded on the painted surface and just slid off the end. Buried the nosewheel up over the tops of the tires and closed the runway for a couple of hours (the ONLY runway, as the other was being de-rubberized at the time and not available for use...). We took a 2 hour delay getting out of SNN going there, but we were on the clock, so it worked out nicely for us. No damage done to the airplane, but apparently a flight attendant was standing up when it went over the edge and took a tumble when the sudden stop occurred and ended up in the hospital.