PDA

View Full Version : Air Marshalls bust carrying coke in Houston

4HolerPoler
11th Feb 2006, 20:34
Even the "good guys" go bad.

On Thursday, two of the agency's several thousand highly trained traveling armed guards were taken into custody in Houston. Although the US Attorney's office would not comment beyond acknowledging that the Air Marshals were arrested by agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Homeland Security's Inspector General's office, Government sources indicate that the two Air Marshals, are allegedly involved with the possession or transportation of cocaine, and may have been paid several thousand dollars to move the drugs. The marshals, one of whom is a former agent of the Drug Enforcement Administration, will likely appear in court to face criminal charges next week, and will almost certainly be suspended.

The arrest in Houston is a shock to an agency that plays an important role in aviation security. Although there have been air marshals flying for decades, on Sept. 11, 2001, the numbers had dwindled to only three dozen agents. After the attacks, the agency was drastically increased in size and many agents were drafted from other law enforcement agencies and local police departments. New agents were-and are—subject to security screening and background checks similar to other federal law enforcement agencies, which are required to be updated only every five years.

Critics said the rush to expand allowed too many inexperienced men and women into the service, and there were reports of marshals clashing with airline personnel or other law enforcement agents. Aviation sources say the agency has spent the last few years weeding out poor performers, but the arrest of the two agents in Houston is sure to further stoke those concerns.

broadreach
11th Feb 2006, 20:36
Are we supposed to be surprised?

Davaar
12th Feb 2006, 01:30
This is not exactly a new practice. "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" [Who will keep guard on the guardians?]: Juvenal, 1st century.

Huck
12th Feb 2006, 01:48
"Cops got the best dope." Me, high school, 1982.

High Wing Drifter
12th Feb 2006, 09:02
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"
I saw that episode of Inspector Morse too :D

tony draper
12th Feb 2006, 09:08
Never did Sherlock Holmes any harm.
"Mr Hudson!! where have you hidden my syringe"
:rolleyes:

Onan the Clumsy
12th Feb 2006, 12:44
Not that I want to come over all speccy and git like, but...

it's Marshal not Marshall

:ok:

con-pilot
12th Feb 2006, 16:28
Thanks Onan, I was going to point that out!:E

stilton
13th Feb 2006, 02:43
A crooked cop?! as I live and breath...

BombayDuck
13th Feb 2006, 07:46
they were carrying coke in their busts?!

Desert Whine
13th Feb 2006, 07:59
Anna Nicole Smith was also caught at the airport smuggling drugs.

They lifted up her skirt and found 50pounds of crack....

27mm
13th Feb 2006, 09:59
'Allo peeps, just got on line and saw the headline ref Air Marshalls, so assumed it was esteemed members of the Air Force Board, 'innit?

Huck
13th Feb 2006, 12:51
By the way, it's not talked about much by law enforcement, but the number of armed pilots in the US now exceeds the number of sky marshals....

Taildragger55
13th Feb 2006, 13:10
Would that make them Air Vice Marshals?

airship
13th Feb 2006, 13:37
Nope, just polar bears. Apparently they like Coke... :O