PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to...

ex_matelot
11th Feb 2006, 15:02
That English chap who was imprisoned in Greece for an assault he did not commit and somebody from Liverpool has confessed but refuses to travel and face Greek justice, so they still kept him in prison?

I remember the media highlighting it several months ago but it seems to have slid of the list of newsworthy items.I cannot remember the exact details...

Anybody??

Farrell
11th Feb 2006, 15:09
You might find it in the same filing cabinet as Natalee Holloway the teenager who went missing in Aruba.

I find it amazing how that has just dwindled into nothingness.

ex_matelot
11th Feb 2006, 15:18
Was probably over-shadowed by Jordan marrying Peter Andre or some other essential public knowledge.:sad:

Marvin the Robot
11th Feb 2006, 15:29
Wouldn't like to be in a Greek prison for a long.........erm.........stretch. :uhoh:

ex_matelot
11th Feb 2006, 15:31
Hmmm, which possible meaning of the phrase are you referring to Mr Robot?!!

;)

Curious Pax
11th Feb 2006, 15:41
I think you mean Bulgaria not Greece, assuming you are referring to the Liverpool supporter convicted just after the European Cup Final.

To answer your question - I believe he's still there. I suspect that the Bulgarians were somewhat suspicious that as soon as they let the guy in jail go on the basis of the other blokes confession, the other bloke would retract his confession. Not sure if we have an extradition treaty with Bulgaria - would suspect not.

ex_matelot
11th Feb 2006, 15:44
Cheers CP,I was sure it was Greece though..???

tony draper
11th Feb 2006, 15:44
Yes and what happened to the crispy bacon we had before the war?
One blames the French.
:hmm:

ex_matelot
11th Feb 2006, 15:47
DRAPER!!!!!..you are obviously lost and on the 'broon' again...

The French are probably at fault in this case somewhere down the line though!

;)

G-CPTN
11th Feb 2006, 16:26
Yes and what happened to the crispy bacon we had before the war?
One blames the French.
:hmm:

More likely the Danes destabilising 'society' with their 'cures'.

(Are we allowed to blame the Danes? The rest of the World seems to be . . . )

frostbite
11th Feb 2006, 16:56
I think you mean Bulgaria not Greece, assuming you are referring to the Liverpool supporter convicted just after the European Cup Final.

To answer your question - I believe he's still there. I suspect that the Bulgarians were somewhat suspicious that as soon as they let the guy in jail go on the basis of the other blokes confession, the other bloke would retract his confession. Not sure if we have an extradition treaty with Bulgaria - would suspect not. Doesn't an extradition treaty go with membership of the EU? Or is that taking second place to straightening cucumbers atm?

Flap 5
11th Feb 2006, 17:31
I think someone may be getting confused with the plane spotters who were imprisoned in Greece.

Farrell
11th Feb 2006, 17:50
Zer iz nathing rong wiz ze French!

ex_matelot
11th Feb 2006, 17:55

So it would seem..

It would appear your mustard has ''by appoitment of the Draper household'' emblazend on it's jars!

G-CPTN
11th Feb 2006, 18:48
I think someone may be getting confused with the plane spotters who were imprisoned in Greece.

Sounds like a sticky situation.

stue
11th Feb 2006, 19:41
It was definatly Bulgaria. As Curious Pax says, he is still there, poor lad.

Still, blaming the French seems like a good idea

Evening Star
11th Feb 2006, 20:18
straightening cucumbers

Euromyth (http://www.cec.org.uk/press/myths/myth26.htm)

(BTW, is a myth a female moth?)

Marvin the Robot
12th Feb 2006, 05:13
straightening cucumbers
Never heard it called that before!

Greek prison phrase, is it? :ooh:

Nerik
12th Feb 2006, 11:35
His name is Michael Shields. For more info on the campaign to release him go to:

http://www.freemichaelshields.org/

Jerricho
12th Feb 2006, 12:07
Just them Irish ones :E :E

Konkordski
12th Feb 2006, 13:33
That English chap who was imprisoned in Greece for an assault he did not commit and somebody from Liverpool has confessed but refuses to travel and face Greek justice, so they still kept him in prison?

I remember hearing that the facts had been twisted a little - namely that the "confession" was actually shown to be for a completely different assault, in a completely different area, and therefore nothing to do with the charge on which the chap was banged up in Bulgaria.

If it's all gone quiet it might simply be because people have realised that, contrary to the popular belief, the Bulgarians have got the right guy after all.