PDA

View Full Version : Test USB Flash Drive?

Ella Valet
11th Feb 2006, 04:38
I've been gifted a 1GB USB flash drive and it seems to have some problems, sometimes can't delete/read files and a format is the only solution to get it working again.

Why doesit only show 0.98GB space? Are there hideen files on it? Anybody know any software to load test, fault test or otherwise examine these things? It's unbranded, any software to find out manufacturer (like there is for RAM and hard drives)?

Thanks
-ev-

rugmuncher
11th Feb 2006, 09:28
Plug it in,,

My computer,,

right click drive,

properties,

tools,

error checking !!!

0.98 GB,,, thats because some of the drive is already in use for the preinstalled drivers, software, to drive the thing internally, with smoke and mirrors,, blah,, blah, blah,,,, etc,,,,

you wont notice missing 0.02GB will you??

Ella Valet
11th Feb 2006, 10:55
Uh, thanks? :hmm: I suppose working with Windows could be seen as a stress test, but I was really looking after something which does take more than 1 nanosecond to say "Device working correctly" when clearly it isn't.

-ev-

rugmuncher
11th Feb 2006, 17:03
Uh, no problem, anytime,,:ok:

Feline
14th Feb 2006, 08:45
You don't specify which version of Windoze you are using - if you're using Win 98 you will have needed to laod a driver (and it appears that every single memory stick needs a different driver!)

But assuming that you're using something more recent than Win 98, it might be worthwhile seeing if there is a more recent driver recommended for your stick.

From memory, go to Control Panel => System => Hardware => Device Manager -- Find your stick (under the USB devices tab), double click on it, select the "driver" tab, then select "update driver", then "search for a driver", then unclick everything except "Microsoft Windows Update" and make sure you are logged on, then let it look and see whether there's a better driver.

Another little hint - always plug the stick into the same port (ie. if you originally plugged it into a port expander, don't then plug it into a port at the back of the computer). Some of these little buggers get very pedantic if you plug 'em in where they haven't been plugged in before. Dunno why - but my observation is that some USB devices are not quite as Universal as the manufacturers would have you believe!