PDA

View Full Version : Kids car seats!

Cee of Gee
10th Feb 2006, 14:18
Is it just me, or is altering the height of seatbelts on the kids' car seats a major drama.
Bl**dy H*ll. Thought I'd pop out to the car last night, a few minutes adjusting and done.
Yeah right - the missus thought I'd gone down the pub (didn't honest!), only just made it before they had to go to nursery this morning! ;)
Could have done with a Flight Eng!
Really wished I hadn't thrown the instructions away. (Not that real men need them!!)

frostbite
10th Feb 2006, 14:56
Just pray that Ikea don't start making them!

Onan the Clumsy
10th Feb 2006, 15:39
Buy a pet carrier, put the child inside and put both in your choice of the trunk or boot, :ok:

tall and tasty
10th Feb 2006, 15:51
LOL Buy a pet carrier, put the child inside and put both in your choice of the trunk or bootI can see where you are coming from but not a nice thing to do to the little angels how ever much they drive you to ahhhhhhhhhh.

But the seats they were designed by a person who has clearly never been near children or had to struggle doing a 5 point harness with a child screaming twisting because they do not want to be restrained behind their parent when they want to be seen by mummy daddy cos that is what they do!!

AS for adjusting them or putting them in the car the amount of bent bruised fingers I have had in the years when I used them I have lost count.

My sister in law got one from the states that had a big bar came down over the child and clicked the child firmly in the seat, no hassel no problem and no grief and it was taken off the market!!!

Just don't try and dismantle them to wash them you will never get them back as they should go

TnT

frostbite
10th Feb 2006, 17:12
"Just don't try and dismantle them to wash them you will never get them back as they should go" The children?

Cee of Gee
10th Feb 2006, 17:49
Onan, food for thought - there's a lot of LD3 bins laying around.
Might fit in the back!;)
TnT, luckily no barfing incidents as yet, so no need to completely dismantle - sounds like I need to buy some clingfilm and cover both of them just in case- the seats of course!
C o' G

tall and tasty
10th Feb 2006, 17:52
sounds like I need to buy some clingfilm and cover both of them just in caseactually I used to travel with a little bucket in the car just in case, as the children will throw just when you are not expecting it and it goes everywhere !! Sorry it is better to get covers for the seats in front with seat covers just in case. Looks horrid but until they are at an age when they don't it is safer for the upholstary.

Good luck

TnT

AeroSpark
10th Feb 2006, 18:30
Buy a pet carrier, put the child inside and put both in your choice of the trunk or boot, :ok:

Actually I find a roof box a better option. You can fit more than one child in and you can't hear them complain:ok:

tall and tasty
10th Feb 2006, 18:53
Actually I find a roof box a better option. You can fit more than one child in and you can't hear them complainin fact my parents got a camper and decided to put us all in it but apparently it is illegal so they had to put up with us in the car instead!! Poor parents how they lasted as long as they did with my brothers and sisters and me!!

TnT :D

Loose rivets
12th Feb 2006, 05:03
When trying to keep the real seat belt out to its full length (so that you can thread it through the child's seat) get one of those very strong spring clamps from B&Q / Home Depot $1 ...they are like a very strong clothes-peg. This obviates the need to hold it out while threading.

lexxity
12th Feb 2006, 09:08
And another thing, why are baby car seats (the ones you can carry) so damn heavy? Who designs these things? Idiot......:mad:

tall and tasty
12th Feb 2006, 10:51
And another thing, why are baby car seats (the ones you can carry) so damn heavy? Who designs these things? Idiot......agree there if fact with the weight of an every increasing growing child my arm muscles got very large without working out! I think they can be designed with the strength and support needed with out the weight surely?

TnT

TheOddOne
12th Feb 2006, 12:22
When trying to keep the real seat belt out to its full length (so that you can thread it through the child's seat) get one of those very strong spring clamps from B&Q / Home Depot $1 ...they are like a very strong clothes-peg. This obviates the need to hold it out while threading.

D*mn! I'll add that to the list of things I wished I'd known years ago!

We were lucky, however, when they were tiny, in the rear-facing baby seats, not to have the dilemma of the passenger airbag to worry about, so we could have them in the front with us. This even worked out well in the MGB (which sadly had to go as they were growing up).

It's bad enough trying to get the seat anchored in the back of a car, try in the back of a PA28! We did manage to get them both strapped in the back of the a/c on a few occasions, but it's not an ideal arrangement.

However, when they moved up to booster seats then it got a lot better in the a/c, especially for my daughter in the front, as she's a bit of a waif, compared with the rest of us.

Unfortunately, we can't all get in the a/c now for weight & balance reasons. My 13-yr-old son is 5'11" and nearly 11 stone. I'm 6'2" & 15 stone. My wife is... er well, I get her to work out the loadsheet & she advises me what can & can't go without access to the numbers (better that way!) so we have to take our trips in dribs & drabs. I COULD get a share in a bigger a/c but finances don't allow.

My daughter still needs the booster seat (or a big cushion) in the front of the PA28 but funnily enough she's just fine in the C150 and can see a good horizon for S&L.

Cheers,
TheOddOne