PDA

View Full Version : What's the point in sports you can't compete in?

Onan the Clumsy
10th Feb 2006, 14:09
Now that the Olympics are starting again, I have to ask what's the point in watching stupid sports that you'll never have a chance of trying for yourself.

I mean we can all do footie, track and field, swimming even skiing, but Bob sled? Ski Jump?

Maybe there should be a requirement that a certain number of people play the sport before it gets chosen.

Romeo Delta
10th Feb 2006, 14:19
I think most people watch those sports because there is the possibility that someone will crash violently.

Now, watching Biathalon or something like that is beyond me. We can all ski and shoot at things, but why watch it? Like watching golf. Playing is fine, but watching it is like watching grass grow or paint dry. :=

Binoculars
10th Feb 2006, 14:38
I mean we can all do footie, track and field, swimming even skiing, but Bob sled? Ski Jump?
Bah humbug. All sports (except of course synchronised swimming) are legitimate. If you saw me attempting to ski you'd realise that I would be far better off trailing Eddie the Eagle by a hundred metres or so than something like skating (you know, that one where the aussie won last time by being the only one left standing; a true aussie hero that guy!) At least he could stay on his feet for a few laps; I would look pretty dumb having somebody hold me up on the start line, then falling over when the gun went off.

Bob sled, luge, all the rest of it, no problems; it's just a matter of hanging on while gravity does its best. No skill involved there. Name me another sport where you can keep your eyes closed the whole time?

Roll on the Winter Olympics. We experts can't wait.

frostbite
10th Feb 2006, 14:43
I might be persuaded to watch if they brought in 'catch the javelin' or some such.

Air-Geko
10th Feb 2006, 15:48
Add to the Non-sport list: Rhythmic Gymnastics. Jump around with a ribbon to music. Yippie, I'm an athlete. Sorry, but if there isn't a decent chance of blood being let, it's not a sport.

Biggles Flies Undone
10th Feb 2006, 15:56
Having spent a few years of my life amongst elite athletes, I can only say that - unless you have gone through what they went through to reach elite status - you will struggle to understand just what it is that gives them the edge.

Explosive sports like downhill and slalom can be enjoyed by most sports fans, but the less well known sports can be less involving. It's easy to poke fun at the more obscure disciplines, but these athletes sacrifice a lot as well.

Onan the Clumsy
10th Feb 2006, 16:11
Add to the Non-sport list: Rhythmic Gymnastics. Jump around with a ribbon to music. Yippie, I'm an athlete
I used to think that...until I actually watched it :E

Biggles Stop trynig to make this a sensible, well balanced thread :*

Air-Geko
10th Feb 2006, 16:17
Sorry, but I'm sticking with what I said. Now if you want to make it interesting, combine rhythmic gymnastic with the Biathalon. Ski for a while, then try to pick off the over hair-jelled girl with the ribbon. That I'd pay to watch... Sure, you should change from bullets to paint-balls, but even so it'd make the jumping around and ribbon stuff a bit more focused. :ooh:

Onan the Clumsy
10th Feb 2006, 16:53
Tell me A-G, have you seen rhythmic gymnastics?

Air-Geko
10th Feb 2006, 17:02
Yep, I have. In person, even -- not just on the boob-tube. Granted, it wasn't "Olympic caliber" but it wasn't schlock either. It's just not something I care to relive. I'll watch tumbling, balance beam, vaults, uneven bars, etc for hours but don't ask me to watch RG with ribbons and hula-hoops! Ugh, I guess I just don't see the point. If you want to tumble, then tumble. If you want to dance and hop around, then do it -- just don't try to dignify it as a "sport." Now, add the guy with a sniper-style paint-ball rifle and ...

Onan the Clumsy
10th Feb 2006, 17:10
Interesting.

It seems rude of me to ask if you are heterosexual :E Perhaps a more polite question would be...did you notice a certain, underlying, but neverteless obvious erotic aspect to the proceedings? ;)

After all, it IS called rhythmic gymnastics, not lie-there-like-a-dead-fish-and-read-Cosmopolitan-over-his-shoulder gymnastics

btw, I agree re tumble, hop dance etc.

Air-Geko
10th Feb 2006, 17:16
Oh god, I just had my Dr. Pepper come flying out of my nose... Pardon me a moment while I clean my computer monitor! :D 100% Hetero, thanks. And besides -- typically being right around the age of conscent and therefore a bit of risky territory, those little ladies are typically devoid of the size "bumps" I so strongly prefer! :ok:

But hmmm... I never made the association of the ribbon wand going in and out through the hoop all those times ... I might have to change my tune with that consideration :cool:

Rainboe
10th Feb 2006, 19:54
You guys have obviously never watched the only sport worth spectating- Brazilian Beach Volleyball. As for watching golf, football or any other sport- if you can get out there and play it yourself, why watch overpaid tantrum prone nightclub/drug addicts doing it for you?

henry crun
10th Feb 2006, 21:58
If I were in charge of the Olympics I would strike off the list all those activities that need a panel of judges to decide a winner.
Winter and Summer would be along the lines of Fastest, Furthest, Highest, etc.

Winter would not suffer too much, halfpipe snow boarding, ice dancing, and figure skating are all I can think of, but my oh my, there would be a big clear out of the summer games.

chiglet
10th Feb 2006, 22:15
BFU,
Having spent a few years of my life amongst elite athletes, I can only say that - unless you have gone through what they went through to reach elite status - you will struggle to understand just what it is that gives them the edge.

Not wishing to extract the "U"know what...Pray tell the "Struggles"
watp,iktch

Onan the Clumsy
10th Feb 2006, 22:18
I used to agree, but...

What's the point in winning by 0.000001 of a second over a three minute time? Does it really make a difference? At that small a gap, maybe the wind played a role in the outcome.

Plus, why have records anyway? For someone today to beat a record from twenty years ago is pretty meaningless. They SHOULD beat it. Better diet, better science, better practice facilities.

Look at the number of home runs record. Sure it got beaten but how does that compare? What would the original record have been if the hitter, whoever he was, had been pumped full of steroids?

pipersfather
11th Feb 2006, 01:17
I have to ask what's the point in watching stupid sports that you'll never have a chance of trying for yourself.

You mean like cock-fighting :}

CargoMatatu
11th Feb 2006, 08:34
Name me another sport where you can keep your eyes closed the whole time?
In my case, the way I play..... Golf!

Lance Murdoch
11th Feb 2006, 08:41
On the subject of the winter olympics, the various events which involve sliding down a mountain on a tea tray type thing (eg the luge, skeleton bob etc) are a glorious example of recklessness and stupidity which reaffirms my faith in human nature. Any such enterprise should be encouraged in these metrosexual times that we live in. I would like a go on the bobsleigh but the luge etc look far too dangerous.
On a more serious note anyone who competes in the olympics has been through alot of hard work and sacrifice and have certainly earned my respect.

SyllogismCheck
11th Feb 2006, 08:43
Why so defeatist, Onan?

Whilst not strictly bobsledding, why not give the Cresta Run a shot. (http://www.cresta-run.com/html/booking_view.cfm) You can even qualify to wear a 'Shuttlecock Members Club' tie if you crash. :} Or, try bobsledding proper. (http://bobsleigh.gb.com/) Not competing right away for sure, but then neither is something like an 'experience day' in a race car. It doesn't stop you moving on to competition though, does it?

As for ski jumping, well, if you can stay upright on a pair of skis, gravity does the rest. Right? :uhoh:

Solid Rust Twotter
11th Feb 2006, 10:10
One would give dangly bits to ride that skeleton luge thingie....:ok:

TheOddOne
11th Feb 2006, 10:57
Aerobatics was a demonstration sport at the 1936 Olympic Games in Munich - there are Bucker Jungmann about in the scheme with the Olympic rings and Swastika on the tail.

There are moves afoot to try once more to get some form of airsport into the 2012 Games, but since practically many airsports require something with a motor to get aloft it's all a bit problematic.

There are huge advantages to a sport to be associated with the Olympics. The FAI office in Lausanne is close by the Archery headquarters. apparently they get millions 'cos they're an Olympic sport, whereas all the FAI get are the contributions made by the various National aeroclubs, which in most countries means monies paid directly by those of us who participate.

Cheers,
TheOddOne

RaraAvis
11th Feb 2006, 11:23
Been always strangely obsessed :suspect:with the Winter Olympics, pièce de résistance being the men's 50km classical cross country marathon, winner of which is 'crowned' the Nordic King and deservedly so!:ok:

Guess my attraction stems from the fact that in a way, 'grew up' on skis and as for my other favourite, figure skating, well, did that for a number of years as a kid as well.
Binos, you should try it sometime...:p

Now Curling.... can't get my head around the weird fascination with brooms........:hmm:

Onan the Clumsy
11th Feb 2006, 14:14
The Olympics...hmmm

Why not...

Dump the Winter Games :yuk:

Host the Summer Games permenantly in Athens

Return the list of sports to those the ancient Greeks used to perform

Perform all sports naked

Ban all professional atheletes

Only allow people in who have a full time job

Make the tickets free

Have a second Olympics where you can take whatever drug you want, but there are no ambulances within 50 miles of the events.

Binoculars
11th Feb 2006, 14:23
RaraAvis, I like to blame Australia's (or at least Queensland's) climate for the fact that I'm not a champion figure skater. In truth, a quick cross reference to the thread called "What Can't You Do?" will give me away. I might add that my admission on that thread was slightly dubious; "any sport involving balance" would have been closer to the truth, but I did make it entirely around a roller skating rink once before coming to an inelegant halt. Ice skates? You're kidding, right? :uhoh:

Curling? I can't stop watching it, and while I'm watching it I can't stop thinking, "who the hell thought this up? And what were they on at the time?" :hmm:

G-CPTN
11th Feb 2006, 14:50
Curling. Simple. Long cold winter. Even the lochs are frozen so swimming is (temporarily) off. Jock and Jim decide to see who can slide a big stone the furthest. Jock gets clever and sweeps away the snow in front of his big stone. What could be simpler than that? After all, you can't bet on two flies crawling up the wall because the cold weather means they're all hibernating.

KISS

PS "what were they on at the time?"
Whisky?

"evidence for the earliest periods of curling is scarce. But there is little doubt that when the notary John McQuhin recorded a challenge about throwing stones across the ice between a monk at Paisley Abbey and a relative of the abbot in February 1541 the written history of curling had begun."

http://icing.org/game/history/historya.htm

RaraAvis
11th Feb 2006, 14:53
Mere technicalities, my dear Binos, the climate and such, easily overcome with a touch of lunacy:p.
Surely Queensland has an ice rink or a frozen puddle one could use to master the combination spins and similar, you know, turn-on-a-dime type stuff :cool:.

As for the balance, just blame the slight wobble in ones step on the wino, that last bottle you were simply forced to drink by the unreasonable host;)

Howard Hughes
11th Feb 2006, 20:19
Whilst not strictly bobsledding, why not give the Cresta Run a shot. (http://www.cresta-run.com/html/booking_view.cfm) You can even qualify to wear a 'Shuttlecock Members Club' tie if you crash. :}
Wow that has just hit number one, on my "things I must do before I am too old list"!!:ok:

G-CPTN
11th Feb 2006, 21:49
Just watched the figure skating with Mrs G-CPTN (have to admit 'I' couldn't do that, but it doesn't stop one from appreciating 'the act', just as one might appreciate ballet or opera), then there was something like 'the men's loos' which turned-out to be feet-first down an icy track on a tea tray. And they claim that it's SKILL that gets them around the corners. How do they see where they are going?

Earlier watched the tottie skiing. Lots of pretty girls. Dunno who was fastest.

Marvin the Robot
12th Feb 2006, 05:45
Earlier watched the tottie skiing. Lots of pretty girls. Dunno who was fastest.
Which answers the question 'What's the point in sports you can't compete in?'

To watch the totty, of course! :E

MungoP
12th Feb 2006, 06:04
What amazes me about this thread is that the question was asked at all ...There's no reason why almost anyone cannot take part in any of these 'sports'..(assuming they qualify for gender etc..)
The problem with most Brits (and I am one) is that they would rather sit on what is becoming their oversized backsides and watch sports rather than engaging in them.

Life is much more fun in Aussieland, NZ and South Africa where people get out there and DO it...

Classic example ..Soccer.. ( have no interest in it personally) ... England has approx 38 million people..assume approx half are male..assume approx 33% are of an age to play the bloody game ..that's around 6 million guys able to play soccer yet the country can't find 11 who are any good at it ! We get beaten by Holland ! A country so small they have trouble finding 11 guys to make up a team..

England would make a much better impression on the world if its population stopped watching television, went outside and started living a life. ( IMHO ) :D

Marvin the Robot
12th Feb 2006, 06:35
England would make a much better impression on the world if its population stopped watching television, went outside and started living a life. ( IMHO )
You been outside these last months? Brrrrrrrr! :(

And it's dark. :ugh:

Onan the Clumsy
12th Feb 2006, 12:58
There's no reason why almost anyone cannot take part in any of these 'sports'..(assuming they qualify for gender etc..)
How does one take part in the ski jump?

Comment accepted about the television, but the original point was sports like footie need (1) a ball and (2) an open area, which they have even in the inner cities, so you watch it on TV and it means somethign because you have at least had a go at it.

Ski Jump and Bobsleigh though ??? you might know a chap down the pub called Bob, but that's probably about as close as you'll ever get.

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Feb 2006, 13:18
You could always go to Namibia and ride a snowboard or a cardboard box down Dune 7.:ok:

Cardboard box does tend to heat up your bottom, though. Used to ride up the dune on a VW Beetle bonnet attached to a parachute if the wind was right...

MungoP
12th Feb 2006, 13:29
ONAN....

Anyone can try the Cresta Run...I have a number of friends who've been regular competitors and I'm intending to do it next winter....As for a ski-jump.... if you think you have what it takes go for it... Eddie the Eagle did. Anything's better than football..(except maybe synchronised swimming )

Onan the Clumsy
12th Feb 2006, 14:03
if you think you have what it takes go for itGo where?

That's the point really. It makes sense to show/watch a sport that you know a little about because you have had some exposure to it, but things like BS and SJ are a little esoteric to say the least. If we watch the rugby, we know when it's a good pass or a brilliant try because we had a go at it at school, but all ski jumps look the same as do all bobsled runs, so what's the point?

I know my reasoning is a little circular in that I've never done it so I'll not watch it therefore I'll have no exposure to it so I'll never try it. But if I did try it, I could only do it once a year on my holidays.

G-CPTN
12th Feb 2006, 14:18
Onan, do you only watch what things in which you can participate?
Moon landing and shuttle launches? Wildlife programmes only from your back yard?
What about Ice Hockey? My skating is nowhere up to display standard, nevermind hockey standard, but I've watched Ice Hockey LIVE, and can also enjoy it on the box.
Another possibility is that through WATCHING a sport (such as snowboarding) one might think 'I could do that!' and take-up the activity.

Do you watch Come Dancing? :E

MungoP
13th Feb 2006, 03:23
ONAN....
Sounds as though you believe the UK to be centre of the known universe...just because the UK doesn't have the facilities for many of the winter sports it doesn't follow that they should not rate as Olympic events....the entire European population is within half a days drive from these facilities...The populations of the Russian states, North America, Canada and China also have access to winter weather.....
As for the summer Olympics... I find it about as exciting as waiting for a glaciated mammoth to wake up...people running jumping and throwing things... :hmm:

Romeo Delta
13th Feb 2006, 04:00
Luge... Robin Williams has a great bit on it:

"What drunken Swiss Gynaecologist thought this up? "I want to dress like a sperm, stick a skate in my a$$, and go ba//s first down an ice chute!""

Skeleton... Looks like luge, but on the belly... Actually looks like fun.

Twotter, if you're not careful around those blades, you may just give your dangly bits while doing Skeleton.

Two man luge? What's the purpose?