PDA

View Full Version : HELP ! LGW to LHR info needed

PAMCC
10th Feb 2006, 12:13
I'm due to fly transatlantic out of LHR in March. Due to times of flight, I can only connect via LGW. This means I have to do that awful coach journey between the two.:ugh: I have the minimum three hours to connect.

I haven't done this for a while, and understand that the airline no longer through book my luggage. Security being their lame excuse.........Cost probably being the real reason.

This means that instead of making straight for the coach, I will have wait to collect my luggage..............OK........This is life:(

However, what is the deal when I get to T4? Can use a quick bag drop? Or do I once again have to wait in the interminable queues to re-check in? Suddenly, three hours doesn't seem to be enough.

Needless to say, I have to the same procedure on the way back when I'm feeling all tired............so can any kind person cover the procedure in either direction.

Do you think it's a good idea to pre-buy my LGW-LHR-LGW coach ticket, even though I have to guesstimate which coach I will be getting (pre-book means designating which coach you will be travelling on)?

ALLDAYDELI
10th Feb 2006, 15:54
I see your point. Coach tickets tend to be time & service number specific. Unless you can pay more for an "open ticket" I am not sure. Speak to national express.

GAF4139
10th Feb 2006, 16:13
Hello!

Several times in the past I have travelled by coach LGW-LHR-LGW and have always prebooked my tickets. On my way back from LHR I usually travelled on an earlier coach than the one I initially booked and it has never been a problem at all.

I could only see a problem with the time available to make the connection from LGW to LHR. If there is a delay with the flight to LGW and a major traffic jam on the M25 3 hours might not be enough.

GAF4139

PAMCC
10th Feb 2006, 16:13
I already did, and you're right they're coach and time specific. If you miss that coach or are early you can still use the ticket provided that there's space. So I suppose at least I will be save time in getting the ticket ahead of time.

Worried about the luggage though. Anyone out there know the answer to me qusetions about having to re-check in?

PAMCC
10th Feb 2006, 18:00
Thanks Mike, Actually I'm travelling to Toronto, and for over two weeks, so no chance of carry-on baggage only:) I should get my boarding card for the LHR-YYZ at my regional airport. I just wondered if they did the check in too,like the on-line but done at 1st port of call. So that I could do a fast bag drop.

Ditto the other way around.

Think I will definitely get my coach ticket in advance, that's got to help move things along.

Might have to call BA to check things out. Really annoys me to have to pay for an 0845 or 0870 number though.................sounds silly but all my other calls pre-paid and you always have to hang on to numerous choices.........

Globaliser
10th Feb 2006, 23:25
I should get my boarding card for the LHR-YYZ at my regional airport. I just wondered if they did the check in too,like the on-line but done at 1st port of call. So that I could do a fast bag drop.If you already have a boarding pass for the LHR-YYZ on BA you should definitely be able to do a fast bag drop at LHR T4. And even if you haven't got the BP, if you've checked in online you can still do a fast bag drop; the desk will issue you the BP at the same time.

PAMCC
11th Feb 2006, 08:37
Thanks everyone for you help.

wiggy
11th Feb 2006, 14:06
For those doing LGW/LHR on a frequent basis National Excess sell a wallet of 10 open tickets, valid for 6 months, for 99STG, a significant saving on the horrendous one-off charge. Taxis are now typically 70 - 80 pounds.

howflytrg
27th Feb 2006, 19:21
Working at LGW i can say this for sure. PRE-BOOK!!!!!!!!! The Nat Exp queue at LGW can be stupidly long in the morning, especially as all the ex US flights comethrough. There is a new machine in the North, I also think the south too, which acts as a quick ticketing machine. But none the less Pre-book and go straight through to the waiting lounge (if you are travelling into North Terminal). Cheap taxis almost non-existant now. The touts have been eradicated by police thank god! No more fares based on who has the larger knife! If you are travelling the same airline (presumeably BA or VS) ask in the US if you can get a boarding card for th onwards connection. But you will still have to reclaim at LGW and LHR. Then use fast bag drop ( can't remeber the desk nos in t4). On your return use Zone C at LGW if on BA (north term).
Hope that helps in some small way. :ok:

Swedish Steve
28th Feb 2006, 08:59
Last summer I got to the Coach office in North Terminal to find long queues and no coaches. There was an accident on the M25. I took the train to Victoria, found a bus outside to Paddington, and took the train to LHR. Bit more expensive, and with luggage you would need a taxi at Victoria, but it saves me an unscheduled nightstop in the UK.
Total journey time about an hour!

under_exposed
28th Feb 2006, 11:42
Used to get chauffeur cars to Heathrow as it was much cheaper than taxis, Burgandy cars were cheap. (Mods, am I allowed to say that?)

WHBM
1st Mar 2006, 11:43
When the coaches are running to time (as opposed to disorganisations due to accidents on the M25 etc) has anyone ever known the bus to be full and unreserved pax to be turned back to the next departure ? Normally when I see them on the motorway they are never more than half-full, and often just seem to have a handful on board. And if they are all stuck in a jam the reservations go out of the window anyway.

To provide a frequent shuttle coach and then tie web sales for it down to one individual departure only is ridiculous and just shows that National Express do not understand the airport shuttle market and have adopted a "One size fits all" approach on their website.

WHBM
1st Mar 2006, 11:58
Last summer I got to the Coach office in North Terminal to find long queues and no coaches. There was an accident on the M25. I took the train to Victoria, found a bus outside to Paddington, and took the train to LHR. Bit more expensive, and with luggage you would need a taxi at Victoria, but it saves me an unscheduled nightstop in the UK.
Total journey time about an hour!

SS - feel I have to make a correction here for the benefit of others. You would not make this in an hour. Train Gatwick to Victoria is 30 mins, train Paddington to Heathrow is 15 mins. Bus (36?) Victoria to Paddington would take more than 15 mins. Plus there would be 3 lots of waiting for the next departure, trains are every 15 mins and buses can be similar at times, so anything from 0 to 45 mins waiting for the next departure, plus walking between modes at both transfer points, and buying the second train ticket. Unlikely to be achieved in less than 1 hour 30 mins, comfortable allowance 2 hours.

wiggy
1st Mar 2006, 13:18
Yes National Excess do "bump", even when it's ops normal.... often as not it's because the holds are full of suitcases and the driver decides he can't or won't load anymore - so the bus departs holds full but with empty seats ( another argument for hand baggage only). I've also never seen National Excess staff queue comb to find out who is booked on the "bus just leaving", it's always done first come, first served.

I have to agree with you regarding the train between LGW/LHR - if I could rely on 1 hour for my weekly commute I sure as heck wouldn't use the bus!

manintheback
1st Mar 2006, 13:35
Booking and National Express = contradiction in terms

Gatwick to Heathrow rail and tube - best time I ever managed 1hr 30ish (arrivals to check-in machines). Even Heathrow to likes of Waterloo when Paris flights are messed up is never quicker than an hour.

MrHorgy
1st Mar 2006, 14:16
Might have to call BA to check things out. Really annoys me to have to pay for an 0845 or 0870 number though.................sounds silly but all my other calls pre-paid and you always have to hang on to numerous choices.........

Quick tip, look for a number from "Overseas callers" - I can reach HSBC on 08457 404404, or on Barnsley (01226) 261010!

BA Customer relations can be reached on 0191 490 7901.

Horgy