PDA

View Full Version : Flight training and a flying career in SA

99Luftballons
10th Feb 2006, 10:37
Hi guys
Is there anybody out there who has recently completed his training in SA and is now looking for employment? I would love to hear from your experiences and job aspirations, especially if you are a bit older and pale (seems to be the operative word on this site these days).
Are there any possibilities whatsoever in SA or are you guys really having to look abroad for that first job?
My background: SA citizen (32 & white) living and working in London and just doing my PPL. Have also got an EU passport and am considering doing my ATP's in SA (George) or if need be, stay here in the UK.
It would be great to hear about the route you have taken and the problems you are facing.
Happy flying!

knertius
10th Feb 2006, 11:06
no more gardening jobs in japan? ;)

99Luftballons
10th Feb 2006, 12:09
Hi Knertius

Didn't you do all your training in SA and are now in Europe? No Turboprop jobs for a 33 year old whitey in SA? Let us know more....

:ok:

knertius
10th Feb 2006, 13:12
howzit garden boy!

yep, all training was done in SA but SA license no longer valid. Donīt know about jobs in SA, never applied for a job there in the last 5 years. I might be in luck should I go back soon seeing that SAX has ordered the Q400 which is my baby over here. Judging from the threads in this forum you shouldnīt have a problem if you have the correct rating and lots of hours. But then the likelihood that you meet those requirements is as remote as picking the 6 correct numbers in the UK lottery. Is ek reg? How about an instructorīs rating and teaching 19 year old blondes to fly? Or Camp Swampy (Maun) in Botswana? Unfortunatley 90% luck involved in finding and GETTING the first decent job.

Vasbyt!

Sky Goose
10th Feb 2006, 13:30
still enjoying the q400 ?

What are the new f/o's like....:\

bis bald

knertius
10th Feb 2006, 13:41
f/oīs? what f/oīs??? on my flights itīs all single pilot ops! donīt want anybody disturbing my peace and quiet!!! ;)

99Luftballons
10th Feb 2006, 13:49
Knertius - u r not able to receive PMs? Hast Du ne Nummer und 5 Minuten?

knertius
10th Feb 2006, 14:18
tell sky goose to sms you my number.

Sky Goose
10th Feb 2006, 14:22
ahh...your one of those types of skippers..

south coast
10th Feb 2006, 16:26
spent 5 years flying contracts for sa operator on 200's and 1900's while also bit by bit completing the jaa licence here in england.

finally got a job back here, spent all my time on contract trying to find a job back in civilisation...

contract flying in africa is great as a first job and for while you are young, single, and free of responsibility...otherwise, dont bother!

99Luftballons
10th Feb 2006, 18:55
Are there any wannabees currently completing their training at FTC in George, 43 Air School, etc. on pprune? Or those who have just completed the training...
What are you guys up to and what are the prospects? Bush pilots in Maun and Namibia? Or are the regional operators hiring low hour pilots out there at all?

Mungalui
10th Feb 2006, 19:35
To all guys and girls looking for a first time job.

Camp Swampy(Maun) will provide you with the best bush flying experience ever! Do not however go there with the impression that you are going to make millions flying there.I flew there for 3 years and can honestly say that it was some of the best years of my life,not even flying career.
Will meet some great characters over there.
They do take on guys/girls with 250 hrs total time on a regular basis.
Bottem line over there is: fit in or :mad: off. Get to know the pilots,they decide who the boss employs anyway.The way it should be.
Steer clear of the donkeys and go have a cold beer at the Bull and Bush or River Lodge.

Best of luck to you all.
The East Coast Russian.
Cheers.

Woof etc
10th Feb 2006, 22:27
99 Red Ballooons floating on a summer sky
This is what we've waited for
This is it boys, this is war....

Knertius, if I might be so bold to ask - where do you fly the Q400?

knertius
11th Feb 2006, 13:35
whose barking up my tree??? ;)
am flying the Q400 and Q300 in the FAR EAST(ern part of western europe). i.e. austria. if the place had an ocean life would be perfect!
cheers