PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Clip on crosswind landings!

herz22
10th Feb 2006, 07:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch_fullscreen?video_id=-CPd5lY-BNw&l=177&fs=1&title=crosswind%20landings

Maude Charlee
11th Feb 2006, 10:26
Can't remember the name of the place, but it's an airfield in Mexico where Boeing take their kites to play as the airfield regularly experiences 50kt crosswinds.

Video is a testimony to the strength of those u/c bogeys and the enormous side foces that they can take.

BUSH BABY
13th Feb 2006, 14:29
Any body any ideas as to what the words mean? looks like spanish:ok:.

BOAC
13th Feb 2006, 14:42
Search for 'babelfish' on the internet and that will translate for you.

Eddie_Crane
17th Feb 2006, 09:14
Any body any ideas as to what the words mean? looks like spanish:ok:.

Looks more like Portuguese to me?!? :bored:

foxile
17th Feb 2006, 11:17
Aye, Cesco you are not wrong, Portuguese it be.... ;)

My bad translation is

Screen 1: It's not every day

Screen 2: that we find calm winds

Screen 3: What to do in these situations?

Screen 4: Fly!

Foxile

CV880
26th Feb 2006, 21:54
The 777 scenes were all filmed at Edwards Air Force Base during the original 777 test flying. Boeing were there for the max energy rejected take off tests etc due to the long, wide runways and a very strong crosswind developed so the test pilots all lined up to have a go. The Aircraft Flight Manual will state a "Max Demonstrated Cross Wind" figure which may be well below what the aircraft can actually handle simply because strong crosswinds were not around during the certification test flying. There is some advantage in getting a high crosswind limit in the AFM as some regulatory authorities will read the max demonstrated figure as a hard limit which could penalise an aircraft in certain circumstances.

CVTDog
19th Sep 2006, 07:57
Have a look at the link below

I'm not to sure what it would have been like to be a PAX on these flights !

:eek: :eek:

The 777 guys must have been lining up the runway out of the side window and as for the 747 team - how the hell did they have the guts to do that ??? :D

Rich

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmDdQz6QlFs

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th Sep 2006, 08:47
I wonder if, judging from the colour schemes, they were Boeing a/c doing some sort of testing? I've watched a million cross-wing landings and pilots usually kick off the drift just before touchdown but these guys kept going...

treadigraph
19th Sep 2006, 11:43
If they are the ones I've seen (Youtube is banned at work :* ) then yes they are Boeing cross-wind landing tests. From memory they fly down to an airfield in Mexico which regularly produces the sort of conditions demonstrated in the videos!

Dan Winterland
21st Sep 2006, 00:35
Definately testing. You can see the anti stall drag chute drouge at the top of the fin. Only an aircraft under test would have this installed.

FWIW, the 747 wet or contaminated runway technique described in the training manual states that it is not necessary to kick off the drift. The body gear touches down first and slews the fuselage toward the runway heading on touchdown. I've done it for real once. It wasn't pretty, but it worked.

SMOC
21st Sep 2006, 06:04
Definately testing. You can see the anti stall drag chute drouge at the top of the fin.

I don't know who told you that, but it's actually a device used for testing that provides an un-corrupted "Static Source", it is attaced to a long hose in the cabin which is then let out to trail far behind the A/C, where I assume it is compared to the A/C's own static port pressures, for callibration.

misd-agin
26th Sep 2006, 03:24
I wonder if, judging from the colour schemes, they were Boeing a/c doing some sort of testing? I've watched a million cross-wing landings and pilots usually kick off the drift just before touchdown but these guys kept going...

I received this video at my home email addy. Sent it out to other pilot friends with the comment "obviously the Boeing pilots aren't fans of the 'wing low' technique". Several weeks later a Boeing engineer emails me back (paraphrased)- "actually we are fans of the technique. But in testing we demonstrate the capability of the a/c beyond the certification limits in the worst case (ie in full crab) scenario."

Friend of a friend of a friend....etc, etc, etc... knows a Boeing engineer. Six degrees of Kevin Bacon...

Also mentions that no other manufacturer does that. Gee, who would that be?

Ace Rimmer
27th Sep 2006, 16:08
Yep in the case of the 777 this was 'max demonstrated' x-wind testing. Bloke who first showed me the 777 vid was Frank Santoni who happened to be the bloke who was in the left seat at the time the film was made (and an all round good egg). As I recall Boeing are not over keen on wing down technique on the 777 it's theose big expensive things dangling underneath the wing you see...