PDA

View Full Version : Best in-Service UK military aircraft?

Delta Hotel
10th Feb 2006, 05:35
Shall we have a vote?

All those who think it's Harrier GR7/9 say 'AYE'.

Come on you WAFUs, crabs and pongos, let's hear your thoughts. :hmm:

BEagle
10th Feb 2006, 06:57
C-17A

:ok:

The Helpful Stacker
10th Feb 2006, 07:04
The serviceable Tristar that they managed to find which brought me back from the Gulf.

;)

teeteringhead
10th Feb 2006, 07:23
C'mon WEBFan .....it's been out for an hour and a half! I can't imagine what your vote will be.....:rolleyes:

Pontius Navigator
10th Feb 2006, 07:32
Jag
still delivers the goods

Dr Schlong
10th Feb 2006, 07:47
Got to be the mighty VC10 - 40 years of service this year and still going strong as the most flexible tanker in the RAF! Plus she's the fastest and best looking passenger jet in the skies! :cool:
ps. Duffy's is reopening - 23 Feb!

Loadmaster
10th Feb 2006, 07:48
It would have to be a true multi role Aircraft.

For us it is the Hercules C130"H".

For the POM's it would have to be the C130"K"

C130"H", the Four Engine Fredom Fighter.

BEagle
10th Feb 2006, 07:55
Good to hear that Duffy's is re-opening.

Hope that my old Sam Fox calendar picture which the Bear aircrew used to appreciate so much is still there!

Vickers FunBus might be the best looking and most efficient RAF tanker, but is long past its use-by date. So C-17A holds the current title.

Sir needs to consider the excellent range of Airbus military derivatives...:ok:

threepointonefour
10th Feb 2006, 08:01
Easy one. Tornado F3.

1. Never been shot down ;)
2. Can do Mach 2 :eek:
3. Has built-in text messaging :8
4. Comes in cool AD grey :ok:
5. Has the best bases (by far) :p

Tourist
10th Feb 2006, 08:09
Sea King 7 ASAC
Our one true world beater with a relevant role.

Dreaming of Wsop
10th Feb 2006, 08:24
Another vote here for the C-17A

maddog62
10th Feb 2006, 08:34
E-3A, Sentry.....

Gainesy
10th Feb 2006, 08:43
WokkaWokkaWokka.

Always_broken_in_wilts
10th Feb 2006, 08:52
Loadmaster,
Have to correct you there chap as the "K" is currently not working it will have to be the "J" that is the Pom's fav variety. NO K v J fites please just a statement of fact:{

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Old#7
10th Feb 2006, 09:05
Dear Concrete Nose,
The only reason it's never been shot down is that they'll never let it get near a real fight for fear of losing it!
I will grant you the Text Messaging bit, at least the crew has something to do whilst flying CAP for the tanker over friendly territory.

Old#7

effortless
10th Feb 2006, 09:23
When sitting somwhere dusty with people saying nasty things about you there is nothing but nothing that sounds as good as the dear old Herc coming round the hill. It is the sound of safety. It is beautiful. It is comforting and by jiminy it gets the job done anywhere. And the pilots, god bless 'em, do it come what may. At least in my limited experience.
http://www.security-forums.com/images/smiles/new_icon_beertoast.gif

Training Risky
10th Feb 2006, 09:32
WokkaWokkaWokka.

:ok:

1. No short dirty runway required (unlike Albert)

2. Best DAS I've ever seen ('nuff said on that I feel)

3. Appreciated by the Army (unlike the plastic pig)

4. Used by Ark Royal and 3 Cdo Bde (where were your Junglies then eh?)

5. Best Stn in the Forces if you want to get into the centre of town, or go for a walk/pint in beautiful countryside.

6. Mess has best (Service) chefs in the RAF (possibly the military)

H Peacock
10th Feb 2006, 09:34
I can't believe mine is the first vote for the Canberra PR9! Guess that's because, despite its considerable age, so few people have had the honour and pleasure of driving it.

Surely it must win hands-down simply becauase it has the coolest starting system ever devised. You just can't beat the 'wheeee-whoosh' of the Avpin starter, and as for that wonderful smell!!!

H Peacock

mrwickets
10th Feb 2006, 09:35
I'm with Delta Hotel - leaping heap every time
Primus Tertius Erit :ok:

dallas
10th Feb 2006, 09:37
In terms of us still hanging on to the world stage by our fingernails, the C17 wins by far and we need more.

Anything else, without the C17, would only manage to get to airshows.

threepointonefour
10th Feb 2006, 10:29
... 20 posts so far and not a single GR7/9, "AYE" !!!

Granted, every one of the 7 remaining pilots may be engaged in aviation or "CAS"-preparatory secondary duties ... I think it's somewhat plain to see which branches of the RAF's aviators have time to post on PPRuNe on a Friday morning ... C17, VC10, Tristar, C130, E3 ... and only 2 FJ nominations. My excuse - I'm home with a sick kid!

Old#7

Why would we want to put it (an F3) in harm's way? With all the latest kit it's probably worth near £30m - we don't want people shooting at it !!!

L J R
10th Feb 2006, 11:44
Spitfire. Still in service with BBMF you know!

Magic Mushroom
10th Feb 2006, 11:51
For sheer influence with Allies and big picture contribution:

Nimrod R1, and E-3D.

Regards,
MM

threepointonefour
10th Feb 2006, 11:57
For sheer influence of the galley and big pizza production:
Nimrod R1, and E-3D.

:D

Sorry, never had it and am insanely jealous.

boyassassin
10th Feb 2006, 13:32
It has to be the Herc mk1, does exactly what it says on the tin(and a bit more):ok:

H Peacock
10th Feb 2006, 13:53
Threepointonefour. Now either you can't count, or worse still you are have taken it upon yourself not to acknowledge that the Canberra is a fast (450kts) jet!

H Peacock

PS. Does this mean that the PR9 now has 2 votes???

KENNYR
10th Feb 2006, 13:59
I have to agree with the Spitfire, followed closely by the WAH64 (despite all the problems that it has allegedly had).

batfink2
10th Feb 2006, 14:56
The BBMF DC3 - gotta love the Dakota!

threepointonefour
10th Feb 2006, 15:31
Threepointonefour. Now either you can't count, or worse still you are have taken it upon yourself not to acknowledge that the Canberra is a fast (450kts) jet!
H Peacock
PS. Does this mean that the PR9 now has 2 votes???

My most humble apologies. My only experience of the Canberra is seeing it in the top corner of the HUD during A-A gunnery ...

I shall amend the claim to 3 ...!

Tim McLelland
10th Feb 2006, 15:34
I'm not quite sure how you can have a "best" aircraft?
Surely, all of the RAF's types are the "best" available, as one would presume that it is why they were purchased for their various roles, in the first place?
I would have thought that it goes without saying, that a Typhoon is a lousy AAR tanker, the VC10 is rubbish at ACM, and the Tucano is a hopless transport aircraft...:bored:

batfink2
10th Feb 2006, 15:38
I'm not quite sure how you can have a "best" aircraft?
Surely, all of the RAF's types are the "best" available, as one would presume that it is why they were purchased for their various roles, in the first place?
I would have thought that it goes without saying, that a Typhoon is a lousy AAR tanker, the VC10 is rubbish at ACM, and the Tucano is a hopless transport aircraft...:bored:
Pedant! :}

Roland Pulfrew
10th Feb 2006, 15:55
the VC10 is rubbish at ACM

Oh I'm not sure. Doing ACM in MPA in a light VC10K we confused the F3 and Alice. Alice kept calling us as fast medium and the F3 couldn't see us......well we were about 18K higher doing 0.86. Twas fun sat up there at FLnose bleed watching the F3 try to catch us!! ;)

OK so there wasn't much in the way of 'M' in the ACM bit!!:\

But for me, the vote from the Buckinghamshire jury goes to the........

Lancaster.

threepointonefour
10th Feb 2006, 16:03
Lancaster - agreed. Easily.

Re VC10 at "FL nose bleed" ... I don't recall seeing a VC10 alongside at 50k when I was up there at M1.2.

... did someone say that Typhoons were flown by lousy tankers??

glidercop
10th Feb 2006, 16:03
Surely the best aircraft is the one YOU are flying at the time.
Grob 109 Air cadet vigilant
Any flying is good flying!!

vigilant_spacey
10th Feb 2006, 16:06
Easy - Grob Vigilant Tmk1

Why?

- Awesome 130 knots VNE
- Lovely bright orange hi-vis patches on both wings (yuk!)
- No aero's
- No Direction Indicator!!!
- Only operate weekends

But on the plus side, although a tricky bugger it is a pleasure to fly, and watching little 16 year old bloggsy getting the hang of it can be quite rewarding.

Tim McLelland
10th Feb 2006, 16:08
Perhaps a better definition of the term "best" is needed?
If we're talking about value for money, they you have to assume that the Canberra wins hands-down, as the RAF must have got more mileage out of them than just about any other type, and the only mystery seems to be why they're now so keen to dispose of them. One wonders whether the rumours of officials wandering round the stored WB-57's at Davis-Mothan really were true...
Likewise, the VC10 certainly clocked-up lots of mileage, so it must weigh-in as a respectable runner-up?

Sadly, many other types have shortfalls to their credit; the Jaguar was under-powered for much of its career, the Harrier is effectively a new aircraft and can't be grouped-in with the original GR1/3, the Tornado F2/3 was, by any standards, a mistake, the Nimrod and Hercules have performed well (but are outclassed in the age stakes by the VC10 - just!), and the rest? Well I guess it just depends how long they stick-around, but the Hawk and Tornado GR1/4 seem to be earning their keep pretty effectively.

batfink2
10th Feb 2006, 16:10
Your thinking far too deeply about this!!!

Pretend that, rather than "best", the question asks what your personal favourite is!!!

Pontius Navigator
10th Feb 2006, 16:10
Funny no one is voting for that other air force? You know who I mean:}

effortless
10th Feb 2006, 16:45
Funny no one is voting for that other air force? You know who I mean:}

OK I admit that the SU27 is a pretty nice piece of kit. :}

The Rocket
10th Feb 2006, 17:14
One more vote here for the Mighty Swing Wing Arrow of Death:ok:

(Tornado F3 that is;) )

Confucius
10th Feb 2006, 17:25
C130K

Best routes, best base in the best part of the UK.

frodo_monkey
10th Feb 2006, 17:34
Another vote here for the mighty F3! Supersonic swing-wing messenger of death, packing AMRAAM & ASRAAM... How can it not be cool?! Plus 600kts+ at 100ft- in the Falklands once a year, your main op task having Lazyboys and Sky...

Tim McLelland
10th Feb 2006, 17:41
You serious?!
Nice though the F3 is, it was, by any standards, a bit of a disaster.
Designed to fulfil a specific role, it entered service without any useable radar, and by the time it had been developed into a viable combat aircraft, the role for which it had been designed had gone.
Okay, it still has the ability to out-run just about everything else around, but it was always pretty hopeless as a dogfighter, and now it merely soldiers-on until more Typhoons are delivered.
It's a shame, as it is a good aircraft, but it was useless for the UK's needs by the time it became fully operational. The RAF appear to have bestowed the ultimate insult on it this year by removing it from the air display demonstration circuit - and I think that speaks volumes.
What a shame that more money wasn't found to re-role the aircraft in the SEAD mission - a waste of a good aeroplane.

Brit55
10th Feb 2006, 18:14
Tim,

the F3 was never built to dogfight, simply to stand off and blat fireworks off at any passing a/c with red stars on them!!

Today's F3, and I hate to admit it, is actually bloody good bit of kit. It has ASRAAM, AMRAAM & JTIDS. These attributes, along with it's speed allow it to get into a position to fire well before most other a/c and that my friend is how to win BVR engagements.

Much more fun flying a Tonka where it's supposed to be mind... low & fast!!

Despite my short campaign for the Tonka though, my vote has to go to the PR9. She retires shortly, with nothing out there that can replace her pound for pound. :(

Mightycrewseven
10th Feb 2006, 18:24
Nimrod R1
But I can't tell you why or I'll have to shoot you :E
M7 Sends :cool:

Brit55
10th Feb 2006, 18:31
aha aha..Thankyou very much... thankyou very much aha...

Never was any good at impersonations!

handyman
10th Feb 2006, 19:18
Come on best aircraft has got tobe Merlin........just to annoy southside!!!

Handyman:p

scottishbeefer
10th Feb 2006, 20:23
Fellas, let's stop kidding ourselves.

It's the Sea King. What other aircraft has prevailed for so long and saved the lives of so many?

tucumseh
10th Feb 2006, 21:11
Tourist and Scottishbeefer have it right. Sea Kings (any Mark) do what it says on the tin. Nimrod R1 is ok but as it's the nearest aircraft to having a blank cheque book it doesn't count.

L J R
10th Feb 2006, 22:28
Any air force then???...F-111F (Post Pacer Strike!!!) RIP!

Internal fuel (Lots)
Fast at low level (for a long way)
High supersonic at high level
Accurate bombing. (If unguided bombs are your thing).
Superb at AGM-130 / GBU-15 & PaveWay 2 & 3
Armchair ride.
Dump & Burn sideshow....

rant over....

snafu
10th Feb 2006, 22:29
Fear God, Honour the King!!:ok:

Airbus Student
10th Feb 2006, 23:08
Personally I think the Euro' Typhoon is the best UK aircraft, coming in second place would have to be the C-17.

Dan Winterland
11th Feb 2006, 00:16
"......and the Tucano is a rubbish transport aircraft."

Dunno about that. It transported me to some great parties! :)

16 blades
11th Feb 2006, 00:48
Supersonic swing-wing messenger of death
...that has never actually fired a shot in anger.

And who DOESN'T have JTIDS nowadays?

16B

Tim McLelland
11th Feb 2006, 01:07
Brit, you're stating the obvious - that's what I already said - the Tornado F3 was designed as a long range interceptor, but by the time it became fully operational, we didn't actually require any long range interceptors any longer.
It's a slightly specious argument to rate the F3 as being a great aircraft simply on account of the weapons it can now carry. Likewise, the same argument applies to the Nimrod R1 mentioned in later threads. Naturally, you can hang "intelligent" missiles under any aircraft, and you can cram Elint gear into any airframe, and the results will be just the same, so the carrier aircraft's attributes become largely irrelevant.
This is where we get back to the dark rumors of MoD interst in eventually buying A340's; you can see the logic though, as you can equip the airframe for just about any role you like (other than tactical transporter) - interceptor, bomber, tanker, Elint, reconnaissance...
It hints at a rather boring future which could ultimately see the RAF equipped with 3/4-jet widebody multi-role aircraft and a fleet of UAV's - and very little else. Think I'll take up train spotting!

Mr Point
11th Feb 2006, 01:47
Dear Concrete Nose,
The only reason it's never been shot down is that they'll never let it get near a real fight for fear of losing it!
I will grant you the Text Messaging bit, at least the crew has something to do whilst flying CAP for the tanker over friendly territory.

Old#7
Old#7 - you're points are valid but you missed the most important consideration - you need to be serviceable enough to get airborne in the first place to get shot down!

effortless
11th Feb 2006, 09:09
Any air force then???...F-111F (Post Pacer Strike!!!)

Gotta be kidding! The most uncomfortable aircraft I have ever sat in. How those large Yanks managed to fly them for hours on end without being crippled I'll never know.

Per Aardvark Ad Asturias.

Navaleye
11th Feb 2006, 11:01
I would vote for the aircraft in service that has the best aerial combat record. :}

juliet
11th Feb 2006, 11:05
Navaleye - F-15? thought you would be more supportive of things that float

Pierre Argh
11th Feb 2006, 12:13
Easy one. Tornado F3.
1. Never been shot down ;)
2. Can do Mach 2 :eek:
3. Has built-in text messaging :8
4. Comes in cool AD grey :ok:
5. Has the best bases (by far) :p
6. Never shot anything down

The Rocket
11th Feb 2006, 12:31
6. Never shot anything down

So Jindavik's and Drones don't count then:{ :{

cornishpixie
11th Feb 2006, 12:44
C 130K Love the crew (mostly) environment
Long live Albert :ok:

ralphmalph
11th Feb 2006, 21:56
How about the Gazelle?

Many many pliots learnt to fly in it,

Was used for offensive ops up untill a few years ago(tank killing supp)

Is still serving in a very important role in NI!

Cheap affordable and hard to see/hit

true stalwart IMHO

The Rocket
11th Feb 2006, 22:40
COUGH,

F3

COUGH.

john50uk
11th Feb 2006, 22:49
I don't know about the best aircraft in service, but I do know the worst aircraft I have been a passenger in, the Beverley.

I used to be at a school near RAF Benson (Turners Court) in the early sixties, and used to watch these aircraft taking off, they always seemed to be struggling to get off the ground.

Aden 1967 I had the dubious pleasure of flying in one on an R&R flight to Mombasa, biggest sack of sh!te I have ever flown in.

Best aircraft I have ever flown in has to be the VC10, purely for the engine noise on take off/landing.

Happy days. John

Jackonicko
11th Feb 2006, 23:08
Wasn't Turner's Court a borstal?

And wouldn't they have been Argosies from Benson in the early 60s?

Bof
11th Feb 2006, 23:20
Right Jacko. Bevs were at Abingdon in the 60's. 30 and 47 Sqns at least.
Benson had the Soggies and TQF.

Tim McLelland
11th Feb 2006, 23:33
By all accounts, the Beverley was actually a pretty good aircraft for its era, even if it was hideously slow.
If we're talking about useless aircraft, you open a whole can of worms, as the RAF has had the rather dubious pleasure of having had some of the most ridiculous aircraft through its history.
The Belvedere must be high on the list - incapable of lifting anything on most hot days, the infamous Swift which was pretty rubbish by any standards, the much-used but highly dangerous Meteor T7 with it's hopelessly undersized tail, the ungainly and under-performing Javelin, the Shackleton Mk3/3 which needed jet engines to get off the ground and then wore the wings off thanks to the added weight... the Marathon, the Prentice...
The remarkable thing is that even when they did have some good aircraft (like the very versatile Belfast) they couldn't wait to get rid of 'em!:)

john50uk
11th Feb 2006, 23:36
Wasn't Turner's Court a borstal?
And wouldn't they have been Argosies from Benson in the early 60s?

No Turners Court was not a borstal, it was a training school, for which children from broken homes went to to train for jobs.

Your right about the Argosies, they used to drone over us 24 hours a day, also the Beverleys were a regular feature.

The Red Arrows used to train here quite often as well.

Regards John

Bof
12th Feb 2006, 00:15
Couldn't agree more about the Bev. It climbed,cruised and descended at somewhere around 150 kts and as long as you didn't want to take the cargo very far, it could carry enormous loads for those times and had a very good short field performace to boot. It did tend to get through Centauri engines though and was reckoned to be the best petrol cooled, oil burning aircraft in service coupled with jokes about removing ASIs and fitting calendars.

I can't agree that the Meteor T7 was useless. It did a damn fine job if treated right and I didn't find the rudder too small. But then its horses for courses isn't it. No doubt about the nicest I flew. A brand new K Albert!
The A was more lively but once you start messing about with an aeroplane, more fuel , bigger engines, greater payload - you always loose out in another area..

john50uk
12th Feb 2006, 00:20
he remarkable thing is that even when they did have some good aircraft (like the very versatile Belfast) they couldn't wait to get rid of 'em!

Only had one flight on a Belfast, was very impressd. Thought it much better than the Herc.

Regards John.

diginagain
12th Feb 2006, 00:39
No votes for Lynx, of any mark, not even from southside?

But then again, perhaps I shouldn't be too surprised.

Tim McLelland
12th Feb 2006, 01:26
Surprised you'd rally to the defence of the Meteor T7! The tail was so small, it prompted Gloster to redesign the unit for the F8 and the later night fighter variants. Martin Baker must be delighted that their remaining pair of Meteors are "T7-and-a-half's" with Mk8 tail units... so much more civilised:)

Roguedent
12th Feb 2006, 01:42
VC10, queen of the skies. long may she reign.....:ok:

iPodder
12th Feb 2006, 05:04
Got to be the Chinook.
Delivered into service unmolested by Wastelands.
It does what it says on the tin, no ifs or buts.
The ability to operate world-wide and self ferry on occasion without the need for 5 star hotels or huge logistic and admin chains
Loved by Soldiers, Marines,Lara Croft, Politicians, needy folk in disaster zones and her Crew*; but not the Airforce!

I would like to be a Typhoon pilot though.http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/smilies/ugh.gif

*delete as appropriate.

Navaleye
12th Feb 2006, 11:44
Juliet,

If the RAF had F-15s I'd vote for them!

cornishpixie
12th Feb 2006, 12:33
COUGH,
F3
COUGH.

No curries No Tea only a small bag to pee nasty cough Rocket due to lack of fluids no doubt:)

juliet
12th Feb 2006, 12:58
didnt realise this was an RAF specific site or topic. greatest ever - mighty Herc

Pierre Argh
12th Feb 2006, 13:08
Old definition: The best a/c in service. One in which when the Ps calls "Flameout in engine No.4", the Captain replies "Which wing"

Art Field
12th Feb 2006, 16:23
One more for the VC10. Hot and cold running water, oven, fridge, loo, leather seats, room for everything and formation, prodding [sport of kings] in comfort.

Busta
13th Feb 2006, 01:25
F4J

Nothing matters very much, most things don't matter at all.

EnnArr
13th Feb 2006, 01:38
There can be only one answer to the question:
The Chinook HC2, why? Because:

1. It has served in Northern Ireland, the Falklands, Sierra Leonne, Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq, Afgahnistan, Israel and several other places that could never be mentioned on here.

2. It is the hardest working, most operationally tested and with the most operationally experienced crews of any Air force in the world.

3. It is the best self defended; jammer, doppler MAWS, UV MAWS, Armour, Chaff, Flares, Miniguns and M60. (plus towed Puma Decoy)

4. It is incredibly popular with the troops of all services.

5. It operates in the SF role, with huge success.

6. The airshow display has won all the major awards on the circuit!

7. Do I need a 7? It is incredibly capable and fun to fly.......

Anyone care to contradict me? Go on, I dare you............;)

effortless
13th Feb 2006, 08:47
Ok looked at objectively, Wokka but Albert tends to get to places other birds cannot reach.

Widger
13th Feb 2006, 09:16
Enn Arr,

Is that why it is never on time and percy always has to go walking!

I think the Mk 4 Sea King could meet most (note I said MOST) of the points you mentioned!

Joe Black
13th Feb 2006, 11:19
Only one winner for me : Nimrod MR2. It's not the mighty hunter for nothing!:}

thelynxeffect
13th Feb 2006, 17:07
The Lynx can do backflips! what else do you need! :}

Muff Coupling
13th Feb 2006, 18:33
Sorry chaps and chapesses,

All well wide of the mark. According to Ministry of Defence archives only one aircraft has gone on record as " the example of a most cost effective, operationally capable, reliable and successful procurement of any type"..the DHC 2 Beaver AL Mk1.

I understand the Army still keeps one airworthy. Seen it at a couple of airshows. I think the argument will be won on the successful and cost effective procurement issue. In general, everything else was a cluster F**K of cost, failure to meet Air Staff / Operational Requirements, extended ISD's and lack of support.

LateArmLive
13th Feb 2006, 18:44
Heh heh, he said beaver..........:}

threepointonefour
13th Feb 2006, 23:37
Heh heh, he said beaver..........:}

Heh, heh heh ... you said it too!

Huhuhuh huh.

:p

SASless
14th Feb 2006, 00:42
They only get better with time! Started on them in '68....I'm about done...they are still strutting their stuff!

Wokka wins for me!

Delta Hotel
14th Feb 2006, 01:41
Top 3 votes so far are:

1. C130 - 8
2. C17 - 4
2. F3 - 4

Bottom of the pile is the RAFs latest fighter with one vote - Typhoon (Even the Grob 109 received 2 nominations).:bored:

No votes for GR4, Hawk, FA2, Hurricane and AH64.

So, are we agreed that the C130 is the best UK in-service aircraft?

pmills575
14th Feb 2006, 07:57
Nimrod in all its guises, multirole, self supporting and soooo versatile.

shandyman
14th Feb 2006, 08:12
Got to be the mighty Rod Mk 2. Looked after me and so I feel honour bound to vote for her. Taken me to some of the best bars around the world (and some of the worst), looks good during the display season and does an ASW job that our colonial cousins can only dream about.

Tim McLelland
14th Feb 2006, 10:57
I assume this thread isn't actually going to lead to any practical conclusions? I thought the idea was to identify the "best" aircraft, once we'd identified what "best" actually meant? What we seem to be getting however, is a long (and rather pointless) list of aircraft that people simply like, for whatever reason.
Hardly the same thing, is it?

shandyman
14th Feb 2006, 12:11
Ooooooh. . . .get her !

jindabyne
14th Feb 2006, 12:25
A tad pompous, TM. It'll end in tears if you persist ----------

KENNYR
14th Feb 2006, 13:27
Isnt that the whole point TM? People freely expressing their own choice of "best aircraft". It may be totally pointless to you, but it may mean something else to another person. Lighten up!! Its only fun after all.

sangiovese.
14th Feb 2006, 17:31
1. Lightning..first tour....Singapore (ok not in current service)

2. VC10.....looks and roar of the four

Room 101...das teutor

:E

doubledolphins
14th Feb 2006, 20:36
TLAM anyone? Flys like an aeroplane any way. Would not want to be any where near where it lands, but the take off is always fun.

time expired
14th Feb 2006, 21:04
I think "best " in this case is in the eye of the beholder or in this case the
user(pilot),there are rumoured to be ex rcaf officers who claim that the
f-104 starfighter, mission capable and therefore their "best" which just
shows just how twisted ones judgement can become.
my vote however must go to the c-130 herc. as it took me to many places
during my military career and never let me down.

4Foxtrot
14th Feb 2006, 21:19
TLAM anyone? Flys like an aeroplane any way. Would not want to be any where near where it lands, but the take off is always fun.
I prefer Storm Shadow myself. TLAM is just a 1000lb'er on a stick with a TomTom strapped to it.

Brit55
14th Feb 2006, 21:46
Got to agree with you on that one.

Anything that starts its flight from periscope depth is onto a loser in my books!!

Tim McLelland
15th Feb 2006, 10:21
Kennyr that's what I was asking - I wondered if you guys had merely gone-off at a tangent, or whether you actually weren't particularly interested in a serious discussion in the first place. It's just very difficult to work-out sometimes - methinks pprune ought to introduce "serious" and "banter" icons so we know what we're gonna be reading:)

williamp
15th Feb 2006, 11:39
Its interesting no-one hs gone for the GR Tornado. Is there a reason why?
I like to be different, so I will go for that.

Rocket2
15th Feb 2006, 11:55
Nimrod in all its guises, multirole, self supporting and soooo versatile.
and also has the best in-flight catering:D

haribo boy
15th Feb 2006, 12:03
OK I'll end the debate........MERLIN MK3 or shall i leave the shift on and put MERLIN MK£

Quite simply the fastest, smoothest, and best looking aircraft in the world oh and its operated by, and this is backed up by an award, THE WORLDS BEST MILITARY SQUADRON!!!! I say no more and i thank you, good night:ok:

thelynxeffect
16th Feb 2006, 13:18
If I keep reminding you all that the LYNX can do backflips will it become more popular?!?

diginagain
16th Feb 2006, 13:30
If I keep reminding you all that the LYNX can do backflips will it become more popular?!?

No, but don't forget to remind those afflicted just how much it vibrates.

JessTheDog
16th Feb 2006, 13:50
Nimrod MR2 - no other air force has a jet in this role.

(I think!)

Flak Jacket
16th Feb 2006, 19:40
Got to be the mighty Nimrod. Just look how much it does and how much it is requested...Even if we can't tell you about it!:ok:

lurkposition
16th Feb 2006, 20:19
Ah, the best TOYS I have been given to play with were:

Gnat - Superb fun (when it worked)

Gazelle - Aerial sports car
Squirrel - as good as the Gazelle but more accomplished.

My favourite front line ac:

Fast - Lightning (EEK)

Plodding - C130 Mk1 - 3 (=global party time in the 1970s)

Slow - Sea King 3 (Great to fly, challenging missions)

Had an absolute ball in all of these (and a few others too)

PPRuNeUser0172
17th Feb 2006, 08:36
The thing is Tim M, what do you actually fly??? Come on tell us, dont tell us what you read in AFM last month, or what you have seen in Janes.....The thing is, this "pointless list" which you so claim is provided, I suspect in the most part by those who fly or have flown a specific type and have a great affinity to said aircraft. Why dont you just poke off to the "pointless" spotter thread and talk numbers there.

For my money it is the mighty Tonka F3, she is lovely isnt she.......

Flying yesterday's aircraft tomorrow;)

Charlie Luncher
17th Feb 2006, 10:26
It has to be the only MRCA in current service ohh and operational for all its frontline life - The MR2 Nimrod, she has looked after me and taken me to some very bad parties with some very bad people:p . I now fly in the other one and it just does not have the same odour de Nim/curries/DCS/Dutch Roll/Artic Roll/Jam filled Roll, nor does it have the title ''The World's Biggest Fighter''. The f3s we have spanked:E, imagine being a fighter pillock and being waxed by a modified airliner the shame of it:{.
Suppose at least I don't have to fly in an Atlantique:yuk:
Charlie sends

batfink2
17th Feb 2006, 15:36
I'm still struggling to come to terms with the fact I'm the only person who's voted for the DC3 :{

stbd beam
17th Feb 2006, 16:05
C'mon guys, gotta be a few more votes for the Mighty Punter:

Never have so many people thousands of miles from anywhere, in a dinghy or falling off a fishing boat, smiled so widely when 'boinged' by the sound of freedom - four Speys in max oil burning mode (Tracy Edwards and her de-masted yacht 2000 miles west of Cape Horn eg).

Maximum value in current role in sandy places, asked for regularly over and above ac owned by other Air Forces ... even by that same country's boss!

Ability to completely re-role in hours if needed, sometimes even in-flight if correct kit carried.

Shed loads of power (except when hot, high 'n' heavy), hugely reliable once airborne.

Have you ever seen the display? It's an airliner for god's sake!

What more can I say about the galley, eh?

Mega angles of bank allowed from 200' above the sea for hours on end (see above if you don't have a delicate stomach).

The most comfortable & spacious thing out there (go on then, compare it to a VC10, C130, FJ, in fact anything but a C17).

Proper Elsan loo (%&^!!?) with a door and sink.

Wing root gun pack & voice activated autopilot (only fitted when pax on board).

The ability to carry home just about the same as the personal allowance for the crew & pax for any given det - and no more ............................

BEagle
17th Feb 2006, 19:03
The 'Mighty Bunter?'.....??

"Oh Crikey, I say, you fellows....yaroooh...!"

And as for any clattering piece of Wastelands scrap iron - YGBSM!

mud moving sumpy
17th Feb 2006, 19:13
Gr4 is the best aircraft in the RAF to date. The Air Display Variant talks the talk, but cant walk the walk. And breaks more often. give me a mud mover any day!!!!!!!!!:E

Tim McLelland
17th Feb 2006, 19:56
Dirty, for your information I don't fly anything, although I've hitched a ride in loads of stuff. I don't see why there's any need to get snooty about this, I was merely asking if this thread was intended to be a serious debate or if it was (as you suggest) merely banter. If it's a crime to ask, then I apologise.
And as for reading stuff out of AFM, do me a favour, I don't even buy such rags:)

doubledolphins
20th Feb 2006, 09:22
DC3? Don't you mean C-47? Ok, so the BBMF still has one but that just flys in straight lines. The last one "in service" was doing Nimrod impersonations a couple of years back but its gone now.

batfink2
20th Feb 2006, 10:02
DC3? Don't you mean C-47?
Same difference! :)
Ok, so the BBMF still has one but that just flys in straight lines. The last one "in service" was doing Nimrod impersonations a couple of years back but its gone now.
With people voting in the Lancaster & Spitty (still In-service with BBMF), I figured it only fair to allow the Dakota to stay in the frame!

doubledolphins
20th Feb 2006, 11:44
I know, but we are supposed to be talking "Military". Funny how most votes seem to be for Civil types, developments thereof or old warbirds.
Nimrod is the only jet land based MPA at present but the US Navy will have brand new 737s when the rebuilt Mighty Muncher is in service.
Finaly, after a long thought and much debate have decided to vote for Lancashire's finest, The English Electric Lightning. Still in service as a Garden Gnome at Bentley Priory.

stillin1
20th Feb 2006, 12:50
IMHO
F4J was a lot of fun to fly and nice toys in its day.:ok:
F3 Great interceptor with a great set of toys, slight shame about the MTBF though
Spitfire - If you have to ask you need to shoot yourself!

Tim McLelland
20th Feb 2006, 13:45
Hmm, the Lightning always captures everyone's affection but of course it was pretty useless in practical terms, with such a ridiculously short range and equally poor fire power. Undoubtedly it could have been developed into something far more potent but as it was, it's one of those aircraft that has charisma, but not much practicality!

BBMF Dakota? Certainly nice to look at but quite a few people (myself included) wish it had kept its Raspberry Ripple colour scheme, instead of another "fake" wartime scheme which is just dull, dull, dull!

Ah, the F-4J. I was lucky enough to scrounge a ride in one, and after sampling the F-4K, F-4M and even the F-4E, I wasn't expecting anything very exciting, but those J models sure did scoot along very impressively, even if they were virtually obsolete! It wins my personal prize as being the only aircraft I ever actually threw-up in *eugh*:)

threepointonefour
20th Feb 2006, 18:00
L & G, I give you my thoughts.

Most beautiful: Spit Mk II
Best sounding: Spit Mk II
Most graceful: Dakota
Most nostalgic: Spit Mk II AND Lancaster
Most fun: F3
Best looking: Spit Mk II and 'clean' F3
Most useless: GR7 (try keeping up with anyone in a big package - and A10s don't count!)
Best at airshows: Typhoon (never know what it'll do next ...!)
Most wanted by joe-public at airshows: GR7 (ditto above!) / Reds
Longest in active service: Chipmunk/Canberra
Most stupid looking: Flying mushroom
Biggest galley: Nimrod
Best rotary: oxymoron
Furthest past its sell-by date: Jaguar (but still capable, even now)
Best stealth capability: Sentinel
Most proven aircraft in inventory: Hurricane

Ta daaa.

Favourite: 4 ship of F3s with JTIDs, AMRAAM and ASRAAM.

BEagle
20th Feb 2006, 19:15
Surely the GR5 was even more useless than the GR7?

Doof doof, nozzle, VIFF, MEXE...:yuk:

batfink2
21st Feb 2006, 11:21
That's quite a comprehensive list!!! :cool:

Magic Mushroom
21st Feb 2006, 12:18
DD,
Nimrod is the only jet land based MPA at present but the US Navy will have brand new 737s when the rebuilt Mighty Muncher is in service.

Not quite, the Israeli's have the Seascan, even if it's somewhat less capable.
Regards,
MM

doubledolphins
22nd Feb 2006, 08:33
Seascan has no weapons, its is an execjet with a big radar and bubble windows. It is an observation aircraft not an MPA (miow!, let's get back to the original thread.)

Magic Mushroom
22nd Feb 2006, 09:22
Err, you mean no weapons like this?!
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/2848/seascan2.jpg
I'll grant you they don't often fly with flash bangs though and it is primarily an ASuW asset.
Regards,
MM