PDA

View Full Version : Which language to study?

user123
9th Feb 2006, 23:20
HelloI may be flying in the Afghanistan area soon, ferrying an airplane over there from USA next year, and I already speak English and Spanish fluently.Should I learn Arabic, Persian, Russian, etc? I have extensive international experience in North, Central, and South America and more than once, the ability to sweet-talk ATC or the local Customs in their native language has proved very helpful.I would like to be able to speak basic stuff (Hello, Goodbye, Thank You), also the numbers zero to nine and the alphabetAny tips for Afghanistan area?thanks alot amigos

wannabe-aviator
10th Feb 2006, 00:39
Hello User123

If am not mistaken then Arabic, Russian might not be any good in afghanistan thier official Language is Peshtu it has derivatives from Both Persian and some aspects of urdu so id say learn those languages and forget russian and Arabic it will get you no where there I might be wrong but learn PESHTU its thier national language, if you need any more info then PM.

regards
WA

jai6638
10th Feb 2006, 02:24
I guess i'd recommend Urdu because

A) If i'm not wrong, arabic uses same script as Urdu
B) If you speak Urdu, you could understand hindi ( not that its gonna help you in Afghanistan but still, from a personal development standpoint, it would )
C) The Peshtu (Sp?) language has roots in Urdu too.

Since some of the local languages evolve from Urdu, learning Urdu would be beneficial imo.

Nevrekar
10th Feb 2006, 03:32
Two major languages are

1. Pashtu
2. Farsi
3. Arabic--only if you have to deal with the Arabs that are operating there.

Start4&3
10th Feb 2006, 13:40
Are you sure you're just ferrying an aircraft? Sounds to me that you're trying to pick up chicks by charming them with their own language. :rolleyes:

effortless
10th Feb 2006, 14:20
I would be more interested in changing my accent if I
were you. What ever you learn try not to sound American. Just what I've been told you understand.:}

wastafarian
10th Feb 2006, 21:13
afganistan is a good place to pick up chicks? i've got a burkha fetish :}

Start4&3
11th Feb 2006, 17:32
That's very funny I can't stop laughing :rolleyes: