PDA

View Full Version : Virgin In-Flight Entertainment

SkyTrax2
9th Feb 2006, 21:20
Hello,

Booked a holiday in June this year with Virgin from Scotland via Gatwick to Orlando for me, wife and kids, just wondering some things:

1. What type of plane is it?
2. Does it have good in flight entertainment to keep young uns happy!?
3. Will l notice a major difference going with Virgin to say a charter company direct from Scotland.

Appreciate any feeback you could give me please!

Thanks
SkyTrax2

SilentHandover
10th Feb 2006, 07:48
1 It will be a Boeing 747-400.

2 There IFE is Ok, nothing outstanding on the Gatwick services. Films and TV programmes shown in rotation not on-demand. There are a few very old games to play as well.

3 Depends on the class you are flying in. In Economy Virgin is very similar most charter flights ( I understand that First Choice have recently upgraded their Long Haul economy product which is rumoured to be far superior for comfort to Virgin) for seat pitch, you will get complimentary goodie bag including headphones. Drinks are included. Kiddies used to get a back pack with few extra goodies in it.

Premium Economy is the same service as economy on board but in a smaller cabin with a nicer seat and more leg room.

The Upper class suites are a great way to travel IMHO.

StillStanding
10th Feb 2006, 07:53
Take a look at the Virgin Flyer web site. They have seating plans, seat ratings, reviews, log of aircraft on routes etc.
http://www.v-flyer.com/

manintheback
10th Feb 2006, 08:16
For IFE, is it not dependant on the plane?. Last time I flew it had the full on-demand works.
Also the seats, Virgin now state a seat pitch of 32" in eco which is better than most carriers. Again, when did they change?

EI-CFC
10th Feb 2006, 19:03
For IFE, is it not dependant on the plane?. Last time I flew it had the full on-demand works.
Also the seats, Virgin now state a seat pitch of 32" in eco which is better than most carriers. Again, when did they change?

Yes - some planes have AVOD, but the LGW fleet are not AVOD equipped. It has happened that a LHR plane has been substituted at LGW when one the 747's is out of service for maintenance etc.

They may state 32" (I haven't seen it stated anywhere on their site, but it is a big one!) but in reality is more like 30"/31" for the most part.

Leezyjet
11th Feb 2006, 15:21
There are now 2 ex-LHR a/c (G-VTOP and G-VAST) that are LGW based that have Odyssey which is not AVOD, but is much better than the Nova system on the other 5 LGW a/c.

:)