PDA

View Full Version : Radar Vectors

invertedspin10
9th Feb 2006, 18:56
You are flying an autopilot equipped aircraft and you are told to turn onto a radar heading of 270 degrees by ATC? You select 270 on the AP heading selector. Will the aircraft now fly on a track (ie across the ground) at 270degrees or do you have to calculate the wind and put in a different heading , say 275 degrees to make your "radar heading" 270.
I am a bitconfused as to how airliners take into account the wind calcs when they turn onto headings. Does the Auotopilot compute the difference or does the pilot have to?
If someone could explain that would be great

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Feb 2006, 19:06
When a radar controller gives you a heading to fly he expects you not to take account of wind, nor to fly a track. He will have already calculated the wind effect in issuing the heading. Simply have the aeroplane fly the compass heading and all should be well.

Pander216
9th Feb 2006, 19:07
In the airbus you can select track, but for vectors ATC will take wind into account while vectoring you onto the ILS. So you only have to select the heading and sit back:}

Dom McNeill
14th Feb 2006, 19:55
Radar vectors given from ATC are already corrected in order to make the required track good. The pilot is required to merely fly the instructed magnetic heading.

Maude Charlee
15th Feb 2006, 14:08
If you get told to fly a heading, fly a heading. Simple. AP and ATC do all the science bit so you don't have to. Just try not to spill your coffee reaching for the FGCP/MCP. ;)

A320rider
16th Feb 2006, 22:15
just turn the little knob on 270...and push heading ON.
is that hard?

WingDown
16th Feb 2006, 22:34
just turn the little knob on 270...and push heading ON.
is that hard?
No, not if your using microsoft flight simulator which I'm sure is what your talking about A320rider? Yet another stunningly useful contribution from this idiot.

scroggs
17th Feb 2006, 11:08
Actually, A320Rider has accurately described the actions for flying a heading on autopilot in the Airbus. As you appear not to be aware of this process, WingDown, can you elucidate us with your qualifications for answering this thread?

A320Rider may not be everyone's cup of tea (including mine), but that doesn't mean he's always wrong!

Scroggs

A320rider
17th Feb 2006, 11:51
in fact wingdown is right, PULL the heading knob or you will be in managed mode!!!;)

scroggs
17th Feb 2006, 16:42
I should never answer a thread with a hangover! :ouch:

Scroggs

Maude Charlee
18th Feb 2006, 18:57
Get a proper a/c and tell the boss to do it himself as you're busy reading Nuts. :}