PDA

View Full Version : Air Gunners....

TwoDeadDogs
9th Feb 2006, 17:51
Hi there
Given that fighter pilots tend to get all the glory as "aces", were there any air gunner "aces"? Who is/was the most accomplished air gunner? From any nationality.
regards
TDD:)

PPRuNe Pop
9th Feb 2006, 18:30
One in particular. WO Tom McLean DFC, DFM, who joined 617 Sqdn in 1943 after the dams raids and became a member of 'Duffy's mob' a Canadian pilot who took on Tom as his rear gunner. W/Cdr Leonard Cheshire was the Sqdn commander at that time.

On a raid to Metz to attack the Woippy aircraft engine factory they were all called to return to base. Soon after setting course for home they were attacked by 3 Ju 88's and a Me 109. Tom shot down all three 88's and probably got the Me 109.

On arrival back at Woodhall Spa Tom was met by Cheshire who took to the mess to await the arrival of the AOC, AVM Sir Ralph Cochrane, who badly wanted to meet this "extraordinary" gunner - at 2.30 in the morning! It was later confirmed by people on the ground that he did get the the 109 and finshed the war with a total of 7 German aircraft shot down to his guns.

alvin-sfc
9th Feb 2006, 18:34
In reply to the question,I have read in Chaz Bowyer's book,Guns in the sky, of Sergeant F.J.Barker of 264sqdn who was a gunner flying in Boulton Paul Defiants, who had 13 victories and with his pilot,awarded the DFM.
The pilot's name was E.R.Thorn.:ok: StrangelyBrown.