PDA

View Full Version : What kind of maggot...

Parapunter
9th Feb 2006, 14:08
...Would swipe a huge lump out of my bumper and then drive off without so much as a note. Even one that said sorry, no insurance, but I din't mean it. Best of all, this is the second time in two years. The last one set me back 400 sheets. One is not amused.:mad:

colmac747
9th Feb 2006, 14:11
No CCTV about?

The :mad:

Parapunter
9th Feb 2006, 14:17
Only just noticed, so could have been days ago. Racking the old brainiac to think where one's been in the car.

Jerricho
9th Feb 2006, 14:17
I totally feel for you Para.

I had some asswipe smack the side of my car a couple of years ago when I was living in Blighty. No note, just a little paint from his car. Unlucky for him, some workmen had seen him do it, recorded his number plate and type of car and were more than happy to provide me the details. I ended up catching up with the prick, told him I had witnesses to what had happened, and best you get your chequebook out to pay for it, I'm not involving my insurance company and if you don't I'm calling the cops.

Of course, when I took the car to a smash repairer I told him what was going on, and wanted to ensure that a premium job was done..........I think it cost the guy double what it should have.:cool:

Doesn't reduce your amusement level though. Sorry mate.

G-CPTN
9th Feb 2006, 14:22
Daughter's partner had (their) Scooby seriously scratched on the bumper by a vehicle that was still parked there (paint from both established the sequence of events). Other driver denied responsibility (and had their vehicle 'valetted'). It took several exchanges of 'viewpoints' before culprit finally agreed to pay for the damage. (There were several possible sanctions against the culprit, so denying responsibility was a non-starter, however they DID try it.)
Culprit was a woman, medical professional.

I think the attitude was one of 'parking incident'.

Parapunter
9th Feb 2006, 14:28
Come to think of it, one has protected no claims, so it should be alright. However, rather than the money, it's the dishonesty that grates. I reckon an uninsured driver is a high probability. I can't for the life of me think why Insurance stickers are not required to be stuck in the windscreen as in Eire(?) I think, but definitely in France. That way, we'd wipe those buggers off the road in a jiffy.

So my bumper got damaged, but what if the same guy with no insurance hit my old granny at 30 miles an hour?? That'd make the local paper:mad: :mad:

UniFoxOs
9th Feb 2006, 14:29
Got the number of one who did it to me and another car a while back, as he was driving off at high speed. I had a nice letter from plod a few weeks later advising me that the moron was being done for no licence, MOT, tax or insurance. Luckily I was able to get the bumper plastic-welded for 30 quid; the other victim had a repair of several hundred pounds and lost her NCB. [email protected]!!

G-CPTN
9th Feb 2006, 14:36
When living in Denmark, Mrs G-CPTN was in collision with another vehicle, and was surprised when the other driver immediately apologised, admitted responsibility, proffered his business card and said 'get it fixed and I'll cover it direct'. Mrs G-CPTN suspected he would go back on his word, but no, he was as good as his word.

Wouldn't get that in the UK . . .

frostbite
9th Feb 2006, 14:43
"Come to think of it, one has protected no claims, so it should be alright." Problem is, your annual premium is not protected! They'll get you one way or another.

Parapunter
9th Feb 2006, 15:01
Hmmmm Smart thinking Mr Frosty. Praps one should weigh up the options. Once was hit by an uninsured driver up the rear. Popped round there to exchange details & lo & behold, he didn't live there. Fortunately, one nade a note of the number & it turned out he had a record as long as ones arm. At the time, I was more concerned about the Hofner verithin stereo guitar in the boot than my chewy old Honda. Still, it was nice to hear from the staisfied policeman - he reckoned I'd provided the excuse they needed to get the guy out of circulation you see.

Solid Rust Twotter
9th Feb 2006, 15:15
Came back to my vehicle in a parking lot to find someone in a vehicle belonging to a certain embassy had backed into it and was standing there looking perplexed. Exchanged details, went to insurers and had it fixed at a garage. When I claimed back my excess amount it turned out that the driver of the diplomatic vehicle had gone to the police and claimed I'd backed into her and her insurance company wasn't going to refund me the money. Fortunately, I have a couple of witnesses who saw the incident and a letter has been sent to the ambassador. Won't even bother with the dozy illiterate cops out here.

We shall see what transpires.....:hmm:

Carry0nLuggage
9th Feb 2006, 18:23
Hasn't happened to me yet (touch wood), but if anyone needs advice on getting the scrotes to pay up have a word with Jumpseater. He had a long, and successful campaign to get someone to cough up.

reynoldsno1
9th Feb 2006, 18:54
So, what are "bumpers" for exactly....I thought parking by ear was a standard practice ????:}

eal401
9th Feb 2006, 21:28
I once bumped a car (the first week after passing my test :uhoh: ) and was honest enough to leave my full, correct details to the vehicle that appeared to the naked eye to be virtually undamaged apart from a slight scuff. Mine had no damage.

Result? Quids in for the other person's dealer, me raped up the @rse by insurance companies for the next few years.

That's why this person drove off.

Conan the Librarian
10th Feb 2006, 01:11
A classic yesterday - my old man moved my car, then got into his own and reversed into mine! Volvos are tough cars, but sadly, he has got one too...

Ho hum...

Conan

Buster Hyman
10th Feb 2006, 01:26
Same thing happened to my sister. I heard the smash, got up & saw a grey-ish car bolting round the corner. When we inspected the damage, we realised that he'd left broken indicator glass on the road.

Sherlock here sticks it together quickly (large pieces) and it was belonging to a Toyota Corona (circa 81) so, drove around the neighborhood & sure enough...there she was! Grey, smashed front indicator, the lot!

Bottom line was that it was a learner driver out with her sisters car & didn't want to get caught out! Too bad, so sad, off to Mr Plod we went!:suspect:

Little Blue
10th Feb 2006, 05:36
Some little sod managed to reverse into my front fog light and leave it in a million myriad pieces, yesterday.
No note on the windscreen, just lots of glass.
I wouldn't be able to sleep at night, if it was me. Seriously.
Bastards.

angels
10th Feb 2006, 07:03
Many moons ago my Morris Minor (told you it was a time back) was pranged (not in a major way) in a multi-story carpark by a twit driving a Ford Capri.

Luckily for me the cops were mounting an anti-car theft watch and two coppers saw what happened. When I turned up about 30 minutes after the incident had occured a weeping youth was being led towards a police car (he was untaxed, no insurance, driving on a provisional licence blah, blah).

When I told the cops I was the owner of the Morris Minor they 'invited' the youth to a) apologise to me and b) make a 'voluntary donation' of the cash contents of his wallet towards the cost of repair. I never got the dent fixed so that was me 15 quid up on the deal.

Good community policing I felt.

Edited to note that the Pprune censorship thingy is a curious beast, surely twit with the vowel changed to an 'a' is not that offensive?! Bleedin' hell.