PDA

View Full Version : Are we losing numbers?

Gingerbread Man
9th Feb 2006, 10:10
Just saw this whilst 'surfing' wikipedia (I started with the SBS, so I don't know how I got to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pprune))

Why has the number of readers apparently dropped suddenly?

GBM :)

BlueDiamond
9th Feb 2006, 10:49
I would say that admin is deleting all those old registrations. Some are years old but have only ever posted once or twice and they just clutter up the bandwidth.

strafer
9th Feb 2006, 10:49
I know 2 people who used to be regulars but no longer read or post here. The reason they both gave was 'arrogant mods'.

Don't shoot the messenger...

BlueDiamond
9th Feb 2006, 10:56
Well ... with all the good will in the world, the term sharp drop could hardly be applied to two people out of tens of thousands. The apparent decrease in membership was always going to happen when the thousands of old registrations that haven't been used for years were eventually deleted. Admin has always said this would happen.

OneWorld22
9th Feb 2006, 10:56
It's nobody's divine right to stay the best forever...

So many sites nowdays on the Net and the rise of Blogs is the big story over the last 2 years.

Techman
9th Feb 2006, 11:02
Looks like it's going up to me!

http://traffic.alexa.com/graph?w=379&h=216&r=6m&y=r&u=pprune.org/&u=

G-CPTN
9th Feb 2006, 11:05
I think the recent fall in viewings can be explained - I was locked-out (along with 30 others) for transgressing.
FIVE DAYS without viewing or posting :{ :{ :{ :{ :{

ThreadBaron
9th Feb 2006, 11:16
That had crossed my mind - G-CPTN.

Cannot say that I can see deleting a number, no matter how many, tired registrations would make a difference Bluey, because if they are not reading, therefore not 'hitting' they cannot be counted.

I suppose all that we can say is that those who were incarcerated in solitary must be bl00dy good posters!!:ok:

BlueDiamond
9th Feb 2006, 11:33
You could be right, Baron ... I understood "readership" to mean "membership." If it relates to daily page hits then I got it wrong.

frostbite
9th Feb 2006, 12:23
I think the recent fall in viewings can be explained - I was locked-out (along with 30 others) for transgressing.
FIVE DAYS without viewing or posting :{ :{ :{ :{ :{ Likewise, but I was able to view by logging out and coming back as a guest. Couldn't be bothered to register as someone else. Still wondering why that thread wasn't simply locked instead of a message which I missed was posted.

G-CPTN
9th Feb 2006, 13:34
I confess that I didn't see any 'warnings' or receive any message (until I PM'd a Mod). What I found confusing was the total disappearance of JB and the (almost) instant removal of my enquiries from 'another' forum - without any explanation of the situation. I accept that I transgressed, (and I don't question the 'punishment'), but for a couple of days I didn't know WHY I couldn't 'find' JB.
There was no obvious source of information (remember JB was 'invisible', so I couldn't find a means of PM'ing a relevant Mod - until I found a previous PM in my inbox related to an unconnected discussion). AFAICT, JB had been scrapped (without explanation).

I respect the rights of the Mods to enforce Danny's ground rules (or whims), but it would have been nice to have been TOLD (without having to ask). Although I guess banks can exclude you from your money without telling you beforehand . . .

airship
9th Feb 2006, 13:50
Still wondering why that thread wasn't simply locked instead of a message which I missed was posted. Swing that by me one more time please... :confused:

If you're talking about that (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209158) thread, I especially admired flap's post It's really not rocket science people, it was even pointed out in the second post of this new thread. explaining why the thread had been closed...the 'second post of this new thread' having been deleted by this time... :hmm:

There's lots of reasons to explain why PPRuNe may be experiencing a drop in page hits or whatever (I don't really understand all the jargon):

1) Lack of recent aviation accidents.

2) Both Onan and Jerricho are notably quiet here in JB (OK, I know Jeery's been on vacation recently but he's been back at least a week now.

3) The new JB ROE (http://www.pprune.org/forums/announcement.php?f=16), especially paragraph 1 The focus of this board is aviation. You're welcome to participate even if you don't aviate, but do not abuse the courtesy extended to you by the board's principal users. Aviation related banter & subjects that don't fit the other forums is the aim here. If your thread is funny/ likely to stir up something positive/relevant to an international readership and not a repeat of something done recently, it is also welcome here.

Anyway, what the **** has this thread got to do with aviation? It may be banter, but it can't exactly be positive if we're bantering on about a dip in PPRuNe performance, surely...? :uhoh:

airship, get back on the couch NOW!

arcniz
10th Feb 2006, 06:28
Also note that Firefox users are not counted by Alexa.. and the Firefox browser is rapidly growing in usage, in preference to the Microsoft browser..

wikipaedia:
It should be noted that Alexa does not collect information on users of Mozilla Firefox, Opera, or other minority web browsers.

Jetlegs
10th Feb 2006, 07:31
know 2 people who used to be regulars but no longer read or post here

2 people out of 10000+ eh? :eek:

Danny & moderators must be shaking in their boots.