PDA

View Full Version : Valentines Day

angels
9th Feb 2006, 09:44
Much to my wife's chagrin I've never really bothered with all this Valentines Day nonsense. I assume the day has some background in Paganism or somesuch and has duly been taken over by rose growers, manufacturers of grossly overpriced sentimental tat and the gift card industry.

But I must admit that I was touched by seeing the care and effort my (8-year old) daughter put into the card she has made for her Valentine, Spencer. Poor Spencer doesn't know he has a secret admirer (yet) because my daughter hasn't tried to reel him in.

So Jbers, do you send cards and the like?

PS The fact that Valentines Day is the day before pay day also limits my scope for presents etc. Maybe I should get something now to head off the usual frosty welcome I get when I get home on February 14!

Solid Rust Twotter
9th Feb 2006, 09:46
Nee, boet...

Just get yourself a case of Fiddler's Elbow and you won't even care about the broken TV effect, ie, picture, but no sound.:ok:

goshdarnit
9th Feb 2006, 09:57
Angels, I used to agree with you ("Valentines Day nonsense") however my wife pointed out the error of my ways, so I am now more pragmatic.

Hope she likes the new ironing board I bought her....

GDI

QNIM
9th Feb 2006, 10:05
Gday
According to a brochure I received in the mail recently 14th Febuary is not only Valentines Day but National Condom Day in OZ, is there any connection?
Cheers Q :\

BlueDiamond
9th Feb 2006, 11:45
Are you in any way artistic that you could make something yourself, angels? You know, add the personal touch?

Biggles Flies Undone
9th Feb 2006, 12:02
is there any connection?
There could be if you buy her a nice card and a bunch of red roses ;)

maggioneato
9th Feb 2006, 12:09
I have booked to go flying on Valentines day as I did last year as a special treat. I will also buy hubby some chocolates. :ok:

Flip Flop Flyer
9th Feb 2006, 14:23
Stand strong man, and don't surrender to this yankified nonsence! It is the work of an unscrupolous modern industry, trying their level best to do anything which may assist in retailing their wares.

As is often the case, their appeal is carried by the equally yankified entertainment "industry", in their perpetual attempt to lower the common denominator to huggy fluff. This results in every stick insect celebrity wannabe being manipulated into purchasing the latest fab, as worn/eaten/snorted by whichever dim witted bimbo happens to top the A-list charts.

Stockpicker
9th Feb 2006, 14:34
As with wedding anniversaries, Mr P and I use Valentines Day as another excuse to go out for dinner. Admittedly, on V Day he tends to pay .... On the other hand I shall probably get him some chocolate! :ok:

Gouabafla
9th Feb 2006, 19:23
We are miserable so and sos here. We don't do Valentines, or Mothers' Day or...

BenThere
9th Feb 2006, 20:09
In a previous relationship Valentine's Day was a waste and something which I regarded in much the same way as a tax.

In my current and lifelong relationship it's a way to express how incredibly happy I am with my life with my wife in it.

Bob Stinger
9th Feb 2006, 21:54
I want to do it on my terms whenever wherever which is what i do ,not because the calendar tells me to.

fernytickles
9th Feb 2006, 22:43
Combine the two - do something artistic with a condom?

PA-28-180
10th Feb 2006, 07:30
Actually Angels, if you are not artistic, perhaps you could ask your daughter to help?:)
Seriously, I do that with my kids...we make something together for Mom and then I will usually make dinner. Nothing really special (although it appears that my 15 month old daughter was concieved on 2/14!) but as it's a family affair it seems to be nicely appreciated. :ok:

Helli-Gurl
10th Feb 2006, 07:36
My Ex could never be bothered with Valentines day either...come to mention it he didnt bother with Xmas or my Birthday either.....amazing really he was so tight when it came to spending on me but as free and easy with his money when it came to everyone else.......

I used to feel so disspointed when these days came alng as I went to soo much effort for him giving what I had arranged great thought for very little appreciation or gratitude!

The bit that really got to me was 2 days before his birthday (as I subsequently found out) while I was busy arranging birthday cakes and presents for him he was busy messing about with some OAP down route in MEX! :(

CargoMatatu
10th Feb 2006, 08:46
Mrs. Matatu ALWAYS "forgot":rolleyes:

However, Matatu Man:cool: always gives it the works:ok:

Don't care whether she likes it or not, it's a good axcuse to go out for a totally excellent nosh:ok:

Not my fault if she's emotionally dead from the earlobes down:zzz:

Helli-Gurl
10th Feb 2006, 09:00
CM, perhaps she should team up with my Ex then (if she can stand lend her clothes out that is ;) )

I love to give it the works to...but it becomes a bit wearing on you and very one sided when you're the one doing all the giving and it's not even appreciated. Mind you it was taken for granted that I'd do it..bet if I hadn't I'd have been moaned at for not making the effort. :{

tall and tasty
10th Feb 2006, 09:06
I confess to sending cards but over the years received only one and a bunch of flowers not a great record. But I do think the thing of Valentines should be 365 days a year not just once. If you love someone to bits why only show it on one day at the hype of the commercial market it should in my mind be something shown all the time in little ways that can be shared

TnT;)

Stockpicker
10th Feb 2006, 09:33
Hmmm, Gouey, what's this nonsense about "We don't do Mother's Day"? Speaking as a mother :cool: and a good churchgoing soul :p I would point out that a) Mother's Day is nowt to do with card company hype (we don't buy cards either, Stockette may make one) but is on the other hand a very good day to remind the mother of your children how much you appreciate her. Don't bracket it with Valentine's Day, please!!

;)

Helli-Gurl
10th Feb 2006, 09:36
Everyday should be Mother's Day ! :)

x

CargoMatatu
10th Feb 2006, 10:23
H-G & TnT.

Yep; absolutely agree that every day should be theday. It's just that on Valentine's Day you can turn the lights even lower than usual and put on even smoother music :ok: (I will admit to making a small break from classic hard-rock occasionally:{ ).

And then hope that nature will take its course:} :eek: :ok:

tall and tasty
10th Feb 2006, 10:26
(I will admit to making a small break from classic hard-rock occasionally ).

no need some rock bands do some wicked slow songs, but I see where you are coming from ;)

TnT

Helli-Gurl
10th Feb 2006, 10:29
My god...a romantic man....a rarity even rarer on PPRuNe ;)

SLFguy
10th Feb 2006, 11:50
Suprising Ms SLF with a Nile cruise - fly out Monday...full moon on the Nile on 14th and jewllery already secreted in my luggage....:)

flapsforty
10th Feb 2006, 12:08
HANDluggage please SLFGuy. :)

Ropey Pilot
10th Feb 2006, 12:58
Problem with Valentines day is that it is enforced romance which severely reduces its effect.

The default status is 'to be romantic' so you are looking to end up 'negative' on the Brownie point scale rather than at zero (which is where you start on any other day).

If you spontaneously buy a bunch of carnations on any other day she will think 'oh, how lovely he was thinking of me and then bought me some flowers'.

Try that on the 14th and she'll think 'CARNATIONS! what a tight fisted :mad: why don't I get roses'

Spend a months salary on roses (which cost the same as anything else normally) and she'll think ' roses - well that's pretty standard'

Same with going out to dinner: stacks of restaurants with 'special valentines' menus (read: normally going for the fixed menu is seen as cheap since they can mass produce it. One day a year they can do the same but double the price of the a la carte - why?)

You can then sit in a sea of other couples doing exactly the same thing - with the blokes all easing up on the amount of wine they drink because unless he starts an argument there is some [email protected] rostered for 2220 - 2300hrs; (no later as it is a week day and up for work tomorrow!)

Bin the entire thing!!! If it is required as said bloke requires an appointment to be 'romantic' once a year sign an agreement that he will do it once a year AT A TIME OF HIS CHOOSING. He doesn't have to make superhuman efforts just to avoid getting into trouble and whatever he does - you will actually appreciate it more too and hence feel special. Everyone's a winner:ok:

And while it is nice to see so many enlightened females on this site why can't the majority of women take their bloke out for once :suspect: (possibly to a pub showing live footie - just 'cause you like eateries with soft lighting doesn't mean that it is a treat for him:E )

Biggles Flies Undone
10th Feb 2006, 14:42
H-G - not B&T by any chance? :hmm:

Come on girls - you have to admit that those of you who have a guy who does year-round romance are the silent majority. Don't you?

Or am I just exceptional? :ooh:

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Feb 2006, 14:49
One will be maintaining one's customary low profile...:suspect:

Helli-Gurl
10th Feb 2006, 16:53
B & T ????

tall and tasty
10th Feb 2006, 17:08
Come on girls - you have to admit that those of you who have a guy who does year-round romance are the silent majority. Don't you?they exist!!! Do they have brothers? in fact CargoMatatu do you??

TnT:E

Helli-Gurl
10th Feb 2006, 17:13
Do you have 2 brothers???

;)

Gerhardt
10th Feb 2006, 18:29
I'm with the guys on this one. It's a synthetic Hallmark holiday. I think my wife should be glad to have me as her husband on all 365 days of the year, not just February 14th.

Helli-Gurl
10th Feb 2006, 18:33
er....No hunni...U shoud be glad to have her as your wife 365/24 ;)

Honeytruck
10th Feb 2006, 22:44
Trouble is, if every day is Special, no day is Special. So, although I tend to spend the entire day in a state of bitter resentment, sucking Bah-Humbugs, I'm all in favour. It's just a bit of fun.

CargoMatatu
11th Feb 2006, 08:18
they exist!!! Do they have brothers? in fact CargoMatatu do you??
TnT:E
Yes, I do. He's older than me, married and the most un-romantic person you ever met. Oh; and a real b*****d to his two kids:ooh: (specially when he gets back from the pub!)

Sorry girls!

QNIM
13th Feb 2006, 01:01
Gday
Was given the message this morning in no uncertain manner by she who must be obeyed do not come home tomorrow without a surprise, I did suggest a novelty condom I won’t bore you with the response. So now off to waste more of my hard earned on something useless and frivolous, BUGGA.
Cheers Q

ORAC
13th Feb 2006, 05:14
The problem with St valentine's day is.... it's my birthday, and my parents thought they had a sense of humour. Guess my middle name.... :suspect:

Howard Hughes
13th Feb 2006, 05:54
For all of us men who still don't get it, I think I can some it up with a quote form one of my colleagues at work.

His girlfriend told him, "no it's OK you don't have to buy me flowers for Valentines this year".... and followed this up with "But what if I am the only girl in the office who does'nt get any?"....:ugh:

airship
13th Feb 2006, 13:44
The scent of money at this time is all-pervasive. Which is more than can be said of the flowers... :\

Gouabafla
13th Feb 2006, 15:17
Stockpicker. I have to mention that we don't do Father's day either - and it isn't at all unusual for both of us to forget our wedding anniversary. (Mrs G forgets it more often than I do :).

I think it's all down to six years in the bush in Africa where we often didn't know what day it was, much less the date. We've got into the habit of celebrating things when the opportunity arises, or when we just feel like having fun, rather than when we are supposed to.

edusaeanna
13th Feb 2006, 17:27
I've never received a valentine's card and have only ever sent one myself....how sad is that?

VFE
13th Feb 2006, 17:30
Wait until you get to 28 years of age and can still say that mate. :}

Valentines day is a load of old bollo.

VFE.

tall and tasty
13th Feb 2006, 17:40
Yes, I do. He's older than me, married and the most un-romantic person you ever met. Oh; and a real b*****d to his two kids (specially when he gets back from the pub!)

Sorry girls!well CargoMatatu at least one out of two is not bad!!;)

But I will just keep a low profile tomorrow and anyone asks I just smile keeps most wondering far longer than the day itself!! Being in a male oriented work environment I can't see any slushy stuff being done there tomorrow!!

TnT :D

tall and tasty
14th Feb 2006, 08:51
Off sick today:ugh: but the good news woke up this morning with an enormous card left of the pillow.
OPened it to find it had been beautifully made by the one and only person in my life who loves mummy regardless of anything............. Yes it was from my youngest and the work that had gone into it was amazing
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO EVERYONE

TnT:ok:

BRL
14th Feb 2006, 09:08
WOW, I got ONE!!!!!!! Door just gone and it was the postie, nice red card addressed to me, great excitement as I opened it to find it was a valentines card from Sky tv with a poxy voucher in it to give to other people to get Sky+ free............:mad: :* :*

Happy Valentines to you too TnT :)

Stockpicker
14th Feb 2006, 09:15
Happy Birthday ORAC!!

Or happy cheese day in my case - see TRAB for details. ;)

PerArdua
14th Feb 2006, 10:28
Happy Valentines Day to all the female PPRuners. Hope you all have a wonderful day XXX:ok:

PA

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Feb 2006, 10:51
Errmm....

Yup....

*ahem* That there Valentine thang *ahem* ladies and others, yup, harrumph..... enjoy.....ermmmm, and ummmmm...

yup....

*ahem*

BlueDiamond
14th Feb 2006, 11:10
Rusty ... a big (((HUG))) and a big smoochie for you too. ;) :ok:

Happy valentine's Day
everyone!

ORAC
14th Feb 2006, 11:18
:{ :{ :{ Another year older.... :uhoh:

tony draper
14th Feb 2006, 11:21
Bah!! humbug!!!:E

B Fraser
14th Feb 2006, 12:07
The card shops will now be swapping out the racks in time for St Patrick's day, then Mothers day, then Easter, then Fathers day

anyone else feel like they're being taken for a ride :yuk:

G-CPTN
14th Feb 2006, 12:21
This isn't really a Valentine (that would be presumptious of me), but I offer all those participants (especially the females) a group hug to cement the camaraderie that we enjoy. :ok:

Who needs a card?

powdermonkey
14th Feb 2006, 13:19
No cards for me today.......:{ :{ :{
Well, there's always next year, but maybe I should make an effort and get out a bit more!!! ......any of you lovely female PPruners are more than welcome to pm me a nice Valentine greeting;) ?

djk
14th Feb 2006, 14:10
I got a card, plus a book "The Father's Almanac" with lots of handy tips for building stuff for the kids and also a 12 month subscription for Flyer magazine.

Bought Mrs DJK the cd "Minneapolis sings Denver" (lots of local bands covering John Denver songs) as she couldn't find it anywhere

powdermonkey
14th Feb 2006, 14:24
I'm waaaaaaaaaaaiiiiting..............come on ladies, where are those messages.
Right! I'm off to work now, but when I get back my pm mailbox had better be full to the brim.....or else....:{

av8boy
15th Feb 2006, 05:39
Having just finished my evening, I'd like to report that Valentine's Day went well at my house. When missus AV8 walked through the door the flowers, card, and chocolates were on the kitchen counter, home-made French bread was just cooling next to them, and the Brie was reaching the proper temperature. I poured her a glass of merlot and put the charcoal on. 30 minutes later I put the fillet mignon over the hot coals... they were two inches thick, so I gave them three minutes per side directly over the coals plus another six off to the side, and they came out a perfect medium-rare--just how she wanted it.
I've been at this with the same woman for well over 20 years, and whether or not I think Valentine's Day is a real cause for celebration or just a marketing ploy isn't important. What's important is that my behavior on this day is simply another thing that lets her know I care. She appreciates it, so I want do it. No harm in that, I'd think.