PDA

View Full Version : 90 degrees nose down

Loose rivets
9th Feb 2006, 03:24
I was surprised to see that a HD was installed (by HP) in a nose-down configuration. In the old days this was a total No-No.

Is it considered okay now?

Coconutty
13th Feb 2006, 09:27
Loose rivets,

Quite a lot of Desktop PC's these days are designed to either lay flat on the desktop, or stand on edge like a tower.

I know that older versions of the Compaq Presario machines had a drive bay mounting system that let you change from vertical to horizontal mounting depending on whether you were going to use it as a tower or desktop, and even let you rotate the Compaq badge !

These days I imagine it will depend on the specific drive - some will be OK, others may not.

For example, according to Seagate:

"The balanced rotary arm actuator design of the drive allows it to be mounted in any orientation. All drive performance
characterization, however, has been done with the drive in horizontal (discs level) and vertical (drive on
its side) orientations, and these are the two preferred mounting orientations."

... I would follow the advice from the manufacturer of the specific disc drive if I were you - and if it doesn't say on the label then check their web site / customer support - you wouldn't want to invalidate any warranties ( and risk losing all your data ) by mounting it the wrong way !

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/coconut.jpg
Coconutty