PDA

View Full Version : 3 days without sleep safer than snooze with autopilot and ground control

mickjoebill
9th Feb 2006, 01:01
reference Steve Fossets 3 day journey, I don't know if he has an autopilot or not... but if he did, which option do pruners consider the safer

1/ an occasional snooze whilst mission control kept an eye on things
2/ try to stay awake for 3 days?

Mickjoebill

http://www.virginatlanticglobalflyer.com/MissionControl/Tracking/index.jsp

diginagain
9th Feb 2006, 01:09
Just do what a good number of long-distance sailors have done for years - take a kitchen timer, set it to buzz every ten minutes or so. Every time it goes off, poke your head out into the bubble, take a quick scan round to make sure nothing untoward is happening, that you're not in danger of being run down by someone doing something similar in your locality, and carry on with your snooze. Doddle.

Edited 'cos I's a clot

Onan the Clumsy
9th Feb 2006, 02:03
Occasional naps help me pace through the day in the office

tinpis
9th Feb 2006, 02:15
I would imagine the old bugger will sleep for the whole 3 days.
I know I would.

Onan the Clumsy
9th Feb 2006, 03:15
Is it a balloon? If so, he could sleep the whole way through.

diginagain
9th Feb 2006, 03:18
Perhaps he should consider taking his chief sponsor along. At least he'd have someone to listen to.

27mm
9th Feb 2006, 08:25
3 days in a cockpit with Richard Branson? Are you serious?

Parapunter
9th Feb 2006, 08:27
Someone call?........Zzzzzzzzzzzzz ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gingerbread Man
9th Feb 2006, 08:52
Maybe he has adopted a polyphasic sleeping pattern. One of my friends has started doing this - it involves sleeping for half an hour for every two hours that you are awake. Apparently your body learns only to sleep in REM sleep and therefore you only need 4 hours sleep a day. Or something like that. All I know is that i'll never try it, I love my bed too much :) .

GBM ;)