PDA

View Full Version : New Baggage Policy

TotalBeginner
8th Feb 2006, 22:48
It would appear that Ryanair have changed their baggage policy and no longer allow their customers who have the same reservation number to pool their baggage allowance.

My mother and father, who were both on the same reservation were charged 5kgs Excess baggage because they shared a 20kg bag. According to the check-in girl, Ryanair have changed their policy, and if you booked before the change was initiated, tough. "Ryanair's policies are subject to change without notice"

I have a friend who works for Ryanair, and she gave me a copy of a memo issued to ALL STATION MANAGERS.

"Excess baggage fees are not being collected, and this loss of revenue cannot continue. The practice of allowing the pooling or sharing of baggage allowance between passengers travelling on the SAME BOOKING REFERENCE is NOT permitted, and should be stopped. This policy should be applied correctly as described above to all passengers travelling from the 9th of January 2006, irrespective of when their booking was made.

I thought Ryanair wanted passengers to bring less hold luggage. This only serves to increase the number of pieces being checked-in???????????????

Globaliser
8th Feb 2006, 23:15
I thought Ryanair wanted passengers to bring less hold luggage. This only serves to increase the number of pieces being checked-in???????????????And guess what? Shortly they're going to start charging you for every piece of checked baggage. So naturally they want you to bring more pieces, even if of the same total weight.

PAXboy
9th Feb 2006, 00:22
TB Yes this has been discussed here. I think that the changes was made in about November. This was when they lowered the checked allowance to 15kg and the hand carried to 10kg but now they are going to change it again. It may be that the rules were changed between your parents booking and travelling. Howver, FR have become shaper about notifying changes by email because then you cannot say that you did not know.

They simply have a different business model and it requires them to get money from every other source than the basic ticket. They have succeeded!

atb1943
9th Feb 2006, 16:36
The Ryanair website tells you all about it and Aviation Leak puts it in a nutshell, albeit with dollar prices:

Ryanair is changing its cost structure and will start charging for checked luggage starting mid-March with a fee of $4.30 per bag if booked in advance, or $8.60 if unbooked. To offset the fee, the airline is lowering its fares in general by $4.30 per flight. At the same time, the checked bag weight limit is going to 30 kgs (66 lb) from 20 kg.

Do you know in advance what you're going to take with you?

But I hear another carrier is implementing a similar scheme.

Ah well, just bring back HHN-BOH, and I might just reconsider......

cheers
atb

Globaliser
9th Feb 2006, 16:44
The Ryanair website tells you all about it and Aviation Leak puts it in a nutshell, albeit with dollar prices:

Ryanair is changing its cost structure and will start charging for checked luggage starting mid-March with a fee of $4.30 per bag if booked in advance, or $8.60 if unbooked. To offset the fee, the airline is lowering its fares in general by $4.30 per flight. At the same time, the checked bag weight limit is going to 30 kgs (66 lb) from 20 kg.And, of course, they've fallen for the RYR press release's spin, hook line and sinker.

The checked baggage allowance is actually increasing from 15 kg to 20 kg.

When the RYR press release mentions an increase in baggage allowances "to 30 kg", it's the total of 20 kg checked + 10 kg cabin baggage.