PDA

View Full Version : bwia

sealy101
8th Feb 2006, 21:21
does any one know when british west indian airways will resume hiring?

GlueBall
10th Feb 2006, 03:58
http://www.bwee.com

It says: "...to become a Pilot with BWIA you will be required to have:

Trinidad and Tobago Commercial Pilots' License. No other licenses are considered. If you possess any other license you will need to contact the CAA of T&T to find out if a validation or issuance is possible.
Multi-engine Instrument Rating (done locally)
Parts I and II of the General Paper. This is an English exam on some basic aircraft systems, e.g. Gas Turbine engines, electrics, hydraulics etc. The course material is contained in two books available at aviation schools in the United Kingdom.
Performance "A" Examination. This examination is a written test on the candidates' ability to extract data from performance charts for both normal and emergency operations. The reference material is also available from aviation schools in the United Kingdom.
Trinidad and Tobago Air Law and Lights. This is a written exam based on the current Trinidad and Tobago law - Civil Aviation Order 1995. The exam must be done in Trinidad.
Human Performance Examination
Citizen of Trinidad and Tobago..."

sealy101
10th Feb 2006, 12:09
even though I do appreciate yoe responding to my post. I requested info on hiring, not their current qualifications, I am a Trinidadian citizen and thought it would be fun to worlk and live their for a time.

NG_Kaptain
17th Feb 2006, 12:42
There is no hiring right now, but expect something soon as a new contract is being imposed on the pilots and an exodus to greener (or sandier) pastures is expected. Approx 25% of the pilots have resigned, mainly on the A340 fleet and have gone to the Midle East. Good luck in you endeavours.

tropical wave
17th Feb 2006, 14:34
Sealy101,
I doubt that BWIA would want a pilot that is only interested 'to work and live there for a while',then after gaining some experience,leaves for el paso.We have many young pilots who are waiting to be hired [also caricom nationals] and are willing to make Bwee their career,and cant leave to work in the US.

NG_Kaptain
20th Feb 2006, 03:01
BW started advertising for new pilots as of yesterday 18 Feb. Requirements are a T&T CPL, IR, 5 O levels or equivalent and the right to live in Trinidad and Tobago.

VeRmiLLioN
21st Feb 2006, 01:18
Can a Bajan passport with the above qualifications be okay?

NG_Kaptain
23rd Feb 2006, 13:47
BW has (had) three Bajan F/O's, one elected not to come back, one is in process of leaving to the Middle East and one is current on line. The short answer is yes, but you need the right to live in T&T, either by a parent being a Trini, marry one or have a work permit. BW probably would sponsor work permits if the pool of applicants locally is too small, Caricom nationals have first shot.

VeRmiLLioN
23rd Feb 2006, 23:31
Thanks again NG.

Capt. Greaseon
24th Feb 2006, 17:19
Just wondering are they hiring into the 340 or do new folks go on the NG ?

sandy helmet
24th Feb 2006, 21:58
Re: the question about Bajans - yuh really want to mix it up wid de Trickidadians?
Dem nah easy yuh know - tek it from me - I dey :E :E :E

tropical wave
24th Feb 2006, 23:00
Sandy Helmet,
It is unfortunate, but you spoilt a good flow of information between some of us on this forum who are adults.May i suggest that if you are unhappy at where you work, just leave,as judging by your remarks, you must be a horrible person to work with. Please butt out.

sandy helmet
24th Feb 2006, 23:21
jeez Capt. Tropical Wave - your arrogance is showing

thought you Trinis had a sense of humor - i.e. picong??

its called tongue in cheek and was meant totally in jest

why do I get the feeling you're a ***w** pilot

tropical wave
25th Feb 2006, 00:20
Thats not 'picong' or 'tongue in cheek'.Thats poking the fire, and you know it.You're not looking at the whole picture of aviation in the Caribbean.I suggest you get out more and find out.

sandy helmet
25th Feb 2006, 02:47
Gosh Capt. Tropical Wave - you seem to know so much about me - didn't realise this thread was about fires and whole pictures of Caribbean aviation.

Would that include top heavy, inefficient, continually-heavily subsidised airline business models that should have died with the dinosaurs?

Or the intrinsic corruption that has plagued the regional airlines forever ?

Or crass, arrogant sneering corporate culture of certain airlines that pervades from check-in through to the crews?

Where do we start? When will BeeWee resume trading after its 'restructure/'
Has the new Yank top man started yet? What are we going to do about all those refusals from recalled crews? The Middle East exodus?

But, no, you're right, I don't know anything. Why don't you cast your pearls before us swine and enlighten us?

cochise
25th Feb 2006, 14:25
Hey Sandy,
Bristow, SAUT, BRIKO or elsewhere? I guess that sometimes when you're looking in from the outside the picture seems clearer! No?
I'll tell you what I know...straight from a horse's mouth!
1)They will be hiring on the NG in the first round.
2)They will be taking people with experience.
and 3) they will be taking a variety of ages because they don't want everyone retiring at the same time.
Everything else I have heard are just rummors so I won't waste the space on this forum!!
Good luck all!:}

Captnhappy
3rd Mar 2006, 14:47
Cochise.
your last post indicated that They (being Captain Lawerence and Captain Mc Shine) will be looking at both age and experience.
But as you know having alot of good experience comes with some age penalty.
So someone meeting all the requirements with 1000+ hrs previous "Large Jet" Command experience willing to return with no preconcieved ideas or demands be given a "fair shake" and not be subjected to the "Ole schisims" of age discrimination and "the who do you think you are because you come from ....." mentality!
Is the "New BWIA" going to be new ideas and a new way of doing things, or will the old order still prevail behind the seens.
Will TTALPA continue or will the "buy out" will lead to it's demise?
Thank you
George P.

cochise
3rd Mar 2006, 18:04
That's a good question and I wish I knew myself! I'm guessing that you might have a little more insight on the situation having been in the game for some time.
All I can do is relay what I have been told. I guess we will see what the real situation is after the closing date on the 6th of this month and then ultimately on April 1st.
From what I understand TTALPA is still in negotiations regarding contracts with the pilots and the engineers seem to be giving the new entity Thunder too.
The good news for the Newbees without any airline experience is that subsequently from Bwee hiring there will be openings at Tobago Express, LIAT and Caribbean Star.
While Tobago Express is still waiting on the decision from the THA as to a takeover or not I know for a fact that they will need to hire at earliest April and at latest June in order to cover the Summer months. So if anyone has a TT CPL it would be worth a shot to send it in. It's better than unemployment!:ok:

Captnhappy
6th Mar 2006, 16:45
Well cochise i guess that today is the day.the Ballot boxes begin to be counted.
I my sense is that both Tommy and Hugh might be supprised at the talent that they might have to avail themselves of.
But the bigger question is how many make it past the Board!
but anyway good luck to all:ok:

artax
7th Mar 2006, 18:58
Hello

I would love to fly for BWIA. I'm not a local, but I'm a current B737NG captain. Does anybody have any contact details other than what's on the website?

cheers

NG_Kaptain
8th Mar 2006, 01:43
Hiring is on hold as somebody jumped the gun and put out the add without board approval. But in any case hiring will start soon, immediate requirement is for twenty seven pilots to replace resignations and retirements with more to cater for expansion. Entry point is 737 copilot but there is a move on by the training department to also hire A340 copilots to prevent double training also there has been no rush for 737 copilots to come on the "Bus" as the routes on the 737 are quite nice. So far no bond and type rating required , but that could change.

artax
8th Mar 2006, 11:01
I missed the advert - where was it published?

Did it have contact information?

Captnhappy
8th Mar 2006, 16:29
In true Trini style...someone has gotten alittle ahead of themselves...all-be-it with good intentions.Maybe Tommy and Mcshine see the summer schedule coming up and no extra bodies available.
The last time that i can remember that amount of vaccancies was in the 1987to 1990 time frame when the hired 26 guys.
I wonder how many applications/resume's it will take to come up with the amount of short listed candidates necessary?
Then experience............is a whole other matter!

HP39
31st Mar 2006, 00:15
STOP WASTING TAXPAYERS MONEY!!!!

sealy101
29th Apr 2006, 19:36
What is the pay for first year copilot on the 737, 340?